PDA

View Full Version : CDN Tire "Flex" blades

Weapon_R
01-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Does anyone have any experience with those wiper blades that "flex" as it was put on the commercial? Apparently, they wipe your window clear of snow and ice by sticking better to the window, unlike conventional blades.

TypeS
01-08-2005, 06:19 PM
my blades are crapped out and was thinking of throwing a pair on, im also interested in how they work? for 17.99 each they better damn well be good

Weapon_R
01-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by TypeS
my blades are crapped out and was thinking of throwing a pair on, im also interested in how they work? for 17.99 each they better damn well be good

I agree. I don't need any blades, so it's not worth it to me to spend $40 on blades unless they truly are worth it.

CelicaST-162
01-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Canadian Tire wiper blades are garbage! Well the one kind that I was sorta satisfied with were the teflon winter wiper blades. Other then that, if you want quality wiping, long lasting use OEM. I bought the teflon metal blades last spring now the rubber is peeling off, I cant even change the rubber on them....bastards!

gorillam
01-08-2005, 06:36 PM
I just made a thread about mine, rubber peeled off one the second day, stupid pos metal clip came off and the rubber is dead.

OEM lasted three years, now they are ripped from constand abuse.

Dont buy canadian tire wiper blades, expecially those reflex ones.
They have the vertical strength of a rubber band. no joke.

FiveFreshFish
01-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Best aftermarket wiper I found is the Bosch Micro Edge Excel. They're about $15 each at most automotive shops.

http://www.allsyntheticsgroup.com/images/wiper_and_box.jpg

method
01-08-2005, 07:52 PM
those 'reflex' or whatever wiper blades are stock equipment on the new freestyle.

they dont do any better of a job. if you have ice on your windshield/wipers... they wont clear the window. boot-style wipers barely improve the situation at all.

lots of aftermarket blades are also just a universal pile of crap and wont fit your windshield properly.

OEM blades are usually the way to go.

rockym20
01-08-2005, 07:54 PM
I've actually had very good results with Canadian Tire blades. The teflon winter ones are the best winter blades I have found. We recently bought some of the flex ones for my wife's truck, but haven't had a chance to put them on (they are a pain in the a$$ to change at the best of times and there is no way I'm going to do it when it is -25 out).

Don't buy the Costco ones. While they are a good price, the ones we bought only lasted 3 months before they crapped out and started to streak the windshield.

djfob
01-08-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm using the reflex blades and in my opinion they are the best blades I've used so far.:thumbsup:

Mad$ella
01-08-2005, 07:58 PM
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

TWO TUMBS DOWN

black_shadow_18
01-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Kinda surprizing how somne people say they are awesome and others say they suck...
I used the regular teflon ones from canadian tire on my talon... I loved them, never had a problem with them in over a year. They were worth the money in my opinion.

awd
01-08-2005, 09:47 PM
I need some new wiper blades -- stock ones are getting f'ing annoying.

Any other suggestions?

BigShow
01-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Mad$ella
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

TWO TUMBS DOWN

how come?

Bonka
01-08-2005, 10:12 PM
I've used many of the Canadian Tire wipers. They all work well. Even those cheap $4.99 metal blades.

Use OEM if your windshield is more curved. Replacement wipers do not have the smaller joints at the end of the wipers to contour to the windshield.

I used the Bosch MicroEdge Excels as well. Works awesome.

Could try looking for Anco, Trico, PIAA (not worth the money, imo.)

iceburns288
01-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Best aftermarket wiper I found is the Bosch Micro Edge Excel. They're about $15 each at most automotive shops.

Bosch makes very good wiper blades, my dad uses them for his cars too.:thumbsup:

phat97yukon
01-08-2005, 10:25 PM
i was goin to buy these, than i kinda said screw it tho, they didnt seem to great to we i opened up the package and you could almost tie em in a bow, but i have a friend that works at canadian tire so she is hookin me up with a pair for cheap... the stupid thing is the sizes they come in... i wish they would have a 13/14 inch one for my rear, cuz the way the window curves , normal wipers suck...

futurecivic
01-08-2005, 10:42 PM
i figure they have to be some wha good if all canadian tires are sold out across the city and even there warehouse is out aswell but you never know people always buy what they see on tv.
cause if its on tv it must be true/good.

habsfan
01-08-2005, 11:21 PM
i usually use canadian tire wiper blades, but the longest life ive ever gotten out of a set was a little under a year. but they dont work bad for that year or so. haven't tried the reflex. i figure if normal blades work fine, why should i spend extra money on somethign that cant work much better than the ones i have now.

Fobby
01-09-2005, 01:25 PM
my OEM is bosch, and it was crap. Switch over the the reflex, it was the best thing ever.

hockeybronx
01-09-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm glad someone started a thread on this. I've been thinking about switching for quite a while now.

I'm going to give the Reflex blades a try and see how it goes, I got quite a bit of Canadian Tire gift certificates for Christmas so they'll be put to good use:thumbsup:

ca2p3r
01-09-2005, 03:34 PM
lol phat97yukon u cheapass, ur buying a pair now that ur freind at c-tire is hooking u up with a deal

dont they cost less then 20$
:dunno:

Weapon_R
01-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
I'm glad someone started a thread on this. I've been thinking about switching for quite a while now.

I'm going to give the Reflex blades a try and see how it goes, I got quite a bit of Canadian Tire gift certificates for Christmas so they'll be put to good use:thumbsup:

Cool - i'm specifically wondering about the reflex blades. So many people posted about wipers that have nothing to do with the reflex ones...

Mikey_008
01-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Yeah those flex blades come stock on some of the newer bimmers and Benz.....I'm actually using them right now on my Integra....they're awsome!!! No sqeaking noises, and clean wipe on the whole windshield!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Weapon_R
01-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Mikey_008
Yeah those flex blades come stock on some of the newer bimmers and Benz.....I'm actually using them right now on my Integra....they're awsome!!! No sqeaking noises, and clean wipe on the whole windshield!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Do they work on snow

Mikey_008
01-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Yeah they work good....I have yet to have a problem with snow freezing on them so far!:thumbsup:
Plus, these reflex blades are frameless, so they're pretty thin!

Speed_69
01-09-2005, 08:54 PM
instead of buying these "reflex" ones now..i think i'm going to try those Bosch MicroEdge Excels that people are talking about

sneek
11-30-2006, 02:18 AM
Sry to bump this from almost a year ago, but i didn't want to start a new thread.

The Walmart frameless ones suck! I had them on our accord. One side (18") worked great, but the other side there was a whole section in the middle of the windsheid that it missed!(26")

Kaos
11-30-2006, 02:23 AM
Bosch Icon's.
They use a hingeless construction!
Highly recommended.

?????
11-30-2006, 02:38 AM
Where can you get icons locally? You rave about them in other threads too but you never answered when i asked where you could purchase them. :(

mo_money2supe
11-30-2006, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by sneek
Sry to bump this from almost a year ago, but i didn't want to start a new thread.

Almost a year?! It's been nearly 2!!! Count the dates... :D

Anyway, the Reflex blades have worked decent on my 10 year old windshield for the past 2 years. But because the windshield's so old, it's pretty scratched up, so no matter what blade I use on there, it still won't give me a great wipe. But I have tried the Reflex blades on my gf's Mazda 3 (w. new windshield obviously), and I've never seen anything wipe better! And just as a side note, I've never had a problem of ice build up on mine, but they do chatter at high speeds (contrary to what they tell you on the commercials).

And as for the comments about OEM, I'm a HUGE OEM ensorser myself, but wiper blades are certainly not one of them. I guess it really depends on the company, but not all company's OEM wiper blades are good. Take Mazda as a prime example. Not only does my gf own one, my mom owns one as well, and I used to work at a Mazda dealership in Calgary. But lemme tell ya, 90% of the customers came back with complaints about their brand new Mazda OEM blades not working properly!

So take caution with the OEM = best ideal, take those hard earned dollars and try several brands out on the market and just see which ones work best for your car. I've experimented for the past 4.5 years I've owned my Civic, and so far, I've noticed the Reflex ones work the best for me.

Wow, long schpeel... anyway, back to late night studying for exams... :banghead:

yellowsnow
11-30-2006, 10:29 AM
i'm using reflex blades right now, and so far they're awesome :) no streaks, and even in winter conditions, it wipes nice and clean.

also when on the highway, the wipers actually stick with the windshield unlike regular wiper blades which skip spots because of the wind force.

i've tried teflon blades on my old car, and didn't like that at all... left a lot of streak marks, and didn't properly fit my windshield... i think my windshield was too curved for it to fit properly. reflex just grabs any shaped windshield :thumbsup:

djayz
11-30-2006, 10:38 AM
i tried them on my civic...they were decent for wiping but they were huge and ugly looking. All i kept noticing out of my windshield were the middle part of it.

Ive being using the teflon ones from CT and they have been good. As long as the blade is clean it wipes amazing. When its muddy out when i get home i just wipe the blade clean and it wipes perfect.

benben
11-30-2006, 10:55 AM
Bosch MicroEdge Excels are great!

hoamic11
11-30-2006, 11:06 AM
yeah it's time to change mine too, thought about the reflex ones but don't wanna pay like 50 bucks for the set, might take a look into the bosch ones

i've got 2 guys back in regina using the reflex ones and they rave about how good they are, as well they came factory on his new 06 civic

leec001
11-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Try Walmart, I am using the CAP ones. They are good and about $14.99 a piece. Also Costco has Michilin ones for sale for $10.99 too, but the largest one is 22" only.

GOnSHO
11-30-2006, 12:24 PM
i have reflexes on right now... best wiper blade ive ever had... dont expect them to scrape of ice that is on the windshield but definately worth it in the end..

VF-1A
11-30-2006, 02:05 PM

I used to think so too, till I used the Bosch Icons.

Originally posted by Speed_69
instead of buying these "reflex" ones now..i think i'm going to try those Bosch MicroEdge Excels that people are talking about

GO ICONS!!! Expensive as fuck but fuckin worth it.

Originally posted by ?????
Where can you get icons locally? You rave about them in other threads too but you never answered when i asked where you could purchase them. :(

Send me a pm. I don't think the parts store i work at is a sponsor of beyond and the "beyond powers that be" might kill my message. We carry them, ill check for your ride and give you a price. A good price fellow beyonder.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
i have reflexes on right now... best wiper blade ive ever had... dont expect them to scrape of ice that is on the windshield but definately worth it in the end..

Mine too, no streaks, which were the WORST, mix it with de-icer windshield fluid and your set.

Crymson
11-30-2006, 02:55 PM
+1 for relflex blades, lovem

mutsuraboshi
11-30-2006, 08:07 PM
i have had cdn tire reflex blades that didnt work very well. i would give it a thumbs down. for the same price range give or take a extra dollar you can get a much better wiper blade at walmart. they are a reflex like design but much better made for heavy snow and are made by rain x. im pretty sure they were going for $22-24 :thumbsup:

they also offer a knockoff walmart brand of these which are a few bucks cheaper if you arnet big on brand name. and i garantee they will still work better than reflexs. you will be able to tell by just how much better made they are by looking at it

MackDawg
11-30-2006, 08:20 PM
F.Y.I... your owners manual tells you to replace your wiper blades every 20,000 kms or 4 months.

sneek
11-30-2006, 08:31 PM
The 18" is working flawlessly, but i had to switch the 26 to a regular blade.

adam c
11-30-2006, 08:44 PM
reflex blades are good for the first month but they are garbage.. as soon as they get the tiniest part of dirt they leave horrible streaks on ur window plus they dont last that long

-100 for reflex

msommers
11-30-2006, 08:59 PM
I put these on my mom's van and they suck hard. I had PIAA blades on my old 240 and havn't found anything better since. Stupid things are so pricey though.

EG_Civic
12-30-2006, 11:23 AM

best blade ever!!

LilDrunkenSmurf
12-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by adam c
reflex blades are good for the first month but they are garbage.. as soon as they get the tiniest part of dirt they leave horrible streaks on ur window plus they dont last that long

-100 for reflex

I agree, after having them for this month, I realized that they wear off so fast, and it's even worse because I bought the ones without the RAINX on em... right before the rainx ones came out :banghead:

sh0ko
01-01-2007, 02:44 PM
had the piaa wiper blades on my car when i got it.. now those are great! even after the rubbing was peeling off it still did its job

and for those freaks out there who are obsessed with cf.. they come in cf as well

jdm_eg6
01-01-2007, 02:58 PM
I use the Reflex wiper blade with wet-teh and it is Truely amazing as to how clear your windows will be when using them. Everytime i wipe its streak free and NOTHING sticks to my window, even when driving down deerfoot and muddy slush is being throw into my window all i need to do is wipe and it all beads off very nicely. With the Reflex blades there is an actual BREAK IN PROCEDURE or they will not perform correctly, i did it to the book and they have been treating me EXTREMELY well!

maybe there are good and bad batches?

sneek
01-01-2007, 03:03 PM
What's the break in procedure?

BTW RainX has a new frameless blade as well, I put them on a Aveo and they seem to stream at the tips of the blade.

schurchill39
01-01-2007, 05:19 PM
I just bought a set of reflex blades for my truck and they are working awesome. I replaced the OEM ones because they sucked hard in the mountains. I havent had a chance to test the reflex ones in the mountains yet but around town they are whicked. No streaks, no chattering AT ALL on the highway and with the de-icer windshield washer fluid, my windshield is always good.

The only down side to them is that it was $50 for a pair of 22inch. That is absolutely rediculous IMO for a set of wiper blades.

aznlee
01-01-2007, 08:11 PM
i have reflex blades and they work great as long as there is no ice built up on them

Annoyingrob
01-03-2007, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by sneek
What's the break in procedure?
You have to clean the window, apply the chemical treatment that's supplied, then let the wipers run for atleast 5 minutes on a medium setting.

I saved up all of those $10 gift cards I got for shopping at CT during the holidays, and bought myself a pair of these myself. They work VERY well, but I've only had them for a few days now, so I'm not ture if that's a conslusive staement.

BTW, the chemical treatment I'm pretty sure is just a water repeller. You can buy it (I think Rain-X sells it actually) at any CT store. It causes the water to bead up, and roll off your windows. I put it on all cars I drive, it's great stuff. Same with the anti-fog stuff you put on the inside of windows.

dodger97
01-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Yeah...that's the new ones with "rainx" or whatever it's called.

I have had the flex ones for almost a year now...loved them but time to change...streaking and not great for ice/snow. But for the $40 I paid - got my money's worth. ;)

topher91
01-03-2007, 09:29 AM
not sure if its been mentioned yet but I bought some Michelin brand wipers just like the reflex type at Crappy Tire, from Costco for 1/2 the price of 1 wiper from Crappy tire.

They work great, and they cost wayyyy less.

Just an FYI.

Chris

SinisterProbeGt
01-03-2007, 09:38 AM
they have reflex blades at biancia Amores for 5 bux.

EG_Civic
01-03-2007, 03:17 PM

goin on sale at partsource 20% off tomorrow

DoubleLP
01-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Relfex Wipers SUCK!!!! After about 6 months they start to leave streaks on the windshield. I went through 2 pairs before giving up on them for good.

They are good for the highway though as they are low profile and do not lift when using them. Other then that though I would not use them.

Weapon_R
01-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt

Where's this?

Mitsu3000gt
01-03-2007, 03:56 PM
I've been using the Reflex blades for a couple of years and they work great, no streaks and good even pressure everywhere. They certainly will not take off ice and such though, they dont push nearly that hard on the window.

infected
01-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Bosch Micro Edge, best blades ever!

SinisterProbeGt
01-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Where's this?

5709 1st s.e in Builders Park.

MintRacer
01-03-2007, 06:31 PM
+1 PIAA'S

rusich
01-03-2007, 07:06 PM
We need a poll here. I usually just buy cheap CT metal blades $6 each and change them twice a year.

dino_martini
01-03-2007, 11:33 PM
On my Buick the windshield wiper fluid comes out of the actualy blades. So I've had trouble finding blades that will match with my car. Maybe i'll just go to the dealer...

Whitetiger
01-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Reflex blades are not worth the $bling.

Installed it on my cousin's Rav4, 3 months later she starts bitching about it (streaks, when ice is on windshield it smears the ice, etc...)

I'd just go with those winter (with tire tube covered) blades. Just replace them twice a year or once a year if needed. Still a lot cheaper than reflex ($20 each)

redevil
01-04-2007, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by topher91
not sure if its been mentioned yet but I bought some Michelin brand wipers just like the reflex type at Crappy Tire, from Costco for 1/2 the price of 1 wiper from Crappy tire.

Just an FYI.

Chris

I just got these for my Impreza and so far they are great, we will see when the super cold comes as well as the snow! Good thing they finally have sizes over 21" at Costco.

Totally recommend them over the CT ones!

nismodrifter
01-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt

did they have many different sizes?

silver_gs-R
01-04-2007, 12:13 AM
SHITTY SHITTY SHITTY!!!

Stay away from this CRAP and I mean CRAP.

They're really really thin, so when you have more than 2cm of snow on your windshield, the blade just goes right thru and all the snow is still there, and they're LOUD as fuck.

OEM is the way to go in my opnion.

h_s
01-04-2007, 01:39 AM
i have them and i love them... at really fast speeds they dont seem to flutter like my regular ones did..

btw: does anyone here use those windshield wiper spoiler things??

nonsane
01-04-2007, 02:42 PM
What i usually do for wipers is i buy the second lowest brand at Canadian Tire. They last for about 6 months and all 3 blades are 16 dollars!

I have tried them vs teflon ones, the teflon's worked the same for 3 months then started to suck(at 22$ ea that sucks, however they do have a 6 months warranty but nobody ever claims it)

5hift
01-04-2007, 03:30 PM

Just picked up a pair at PartSource for ~$22 bucks (on sale right now). Takes 2 mins to install and they work great. I'm glad I didnt drop $50 on a set of reflex wipers from Cdn Tire.

sl888
03-22-2007, 12:09 AM
Where can I find bosch icons??? Went to partsource today and they only had the mico edge excel.

GTS Jeff
03-22-2007, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by topher91

Just an FYI.

Chris

:werd:

I am using Valeo Ultimate wipers on my car, and these are the actual OEM frameless wipers. Crappy Tire Reflexes are just a knockoff of these Valeos. The Valeos are metal and have a spoiler built into them.

RX_EVOLV
03-22-2007, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by 5hift

Just picked up a pair at PartSource for ~$22 bucks (on sale right now). Takes 2 mins to install and they work great. I'm glad I didnt drop $50 on a set of reflex wipers from Cdn Tire.

I installed a pair on my car ~ 2 months ago, and I dont think they are that great. still leave little streaks behind even when just washing the windshield w/ windshield fluid.

But I've heard the Bosch Icon is one of the best wipers out there, haven't seen any for sale at any local automotive stores yet

hellraiser456
03-22-2007, 11:06 PM
i don't like mine...they may work better if you have some newer squirters but mine are the old school ones that squirt a beam of fluid rather than a spray and yea. mine have trouble with the edges.

I wouldn't buy them again.

CRXguy
03-23-2007, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

:werd:

I am using Valeo Ultimate wipers on my car, and these are the actual OEM frameless wipers. Crappy Tire Reflexes are just a knockoff of these Valeos. The Valeos are metal and have a spoiler built into them.

Where'd you get the Valeo's? I have the Wal-Mart equivalent of the Reflex. They worked great when I first got 'em, but the passenger side doesn't work so well now after the last couple snowfalls. I guess I was flicking it too hard to rid of the snow buildup. :rofl:

GTS Jeff
03-23-2007, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by CRXguy

Where'd you get the Valeo's? I have the Wal-Mart equivalent of the Reflex. They worked great when I first got 'em, but the passenger side doesn't work so well now after the last couple snowfalls. I guess I was flicking it too hard to rid of the snow buildup. :rofl: I got them from Tirerack.com...they have a 2 for 1 sale right now, but after UPS fees it's not an overly great deal. For my Corolla, I'll probably get the Michelins from Costco.

sl888
03-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Any places in Calgary to get Valeo Ultimates or Bosch Icons???