PDA

View Full Version : insurance claim question

Black Gts
01-08-2005, 07:45 PM
how long do you have to make a claim, i got into a fender bender three weeks ago. the guy told me he wanted to avoid insurance, which is fine cause i just want the cash. but now he s cat and mousing me, is it too late, or can i still report on like mon. or tue, with my quotes??

idriveabox
01-08-2005, 07:58 PM
property damage is up to one year from the date of occurence.
Injury is 2 years

:thumbsup:

Phuqu
01-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Get a police report if you haven't. You will need a police sticker if total damage for you and him is over $1000 or if there was any injury.

But as for time idriveabox is correct.

You can have the police report and still not have an insurance claim if he decides to pay up.

TrevorK
01-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Phuqu
You can have the police report and still not have an insurance claim if he decides to pay up.

Which is why you ALWAYS file a police report unless you have something to hide...

Black Gts
01-11-2005, 12:55 PM
awesome thanks guys. just for a little humor, i got 2 quotes so far, i originally wanted $500, and, the lowest quote i got was $800, he gets his last call today and insurance may get one tommarow.

soupey
01-17-2005, 10:45 AM
once u get a police report filled out...your insurance will be informed of the accident automatically.

TrevorK
01-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by soupey
once u get a police report filled out...your insurance will be informed of the accident automatically.

I've yet to hear of this in Alberta, but even if it is true your rates don't go up unless your insurance company has to pay out.

DayGlow
01-17-2005, 11:20 AM
you only need a police report for damage over $1000

Also the police do not inform the insurance company automatically. The report is on file, and the insurance company can get it, but they are not told it is there. If they look they can find it, but it will take action on their part, not the police.

604-Mico
01-18-2005, 10:00 PM
cant you just report it to your insurance company and not claim?
dont see why insurance companies would consider you a higer risk until you actually do file a claim on the collision.

soupey
01-18-2005, 10:14 PM
being involved in alot of non-fault or worse at fault accidents might b seen negatively by the insurance company, theres more work to be done for someone who gets hit a few times compared to the another driver who doesnt get hit at all, seems unfair but it seems to b the way it is...best thing to do is to try keepin as much info as u possibly can away from insurance that could potentially make them view you as an unsafe driver and boosting ur rates cuz of it.

DayGlow
01-18-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by 604-Mico
cant you just report it to your insurance company and not claim?
dont see why insurance companies would consider you a higer risk until you actually do file a claim on the collision.

my understanding is once they are aware of a collision, they can/will jack your rate. No claim needs to be filed.

I should really start an insurance company.

604-Mico
01-18-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow

my understanding is once they are aware of a collision, they can/will jack your rate. No claim needs to be filed.

Really?
If thats so, that undermines the whole concept of insurance

I remember in BC, when my dad got into an accident, the first thing he did was file a report to ICBC...just to have it on file
Ended up having a cash settlement with the other driver and no premiums were raised whatsoever

Heck, i pulled up his abstract and insurance history last week and its still clear

TrevorK
01-19-2005, 10:44 AM

No they don't - unless you have a pattern of getting into accidents.

abyss
01-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by TrevorK

Which is why you ALWAYS file a police report unless you have something to hide...

There's no point to wasting the police's time unless there's over $1000 damage or one of the involved parties is injured.

not filing doesn't automatically mean you have something to hide, it could mean that you believe there is less than the damage required to file.

ALSO, if you claim through insurance there is still not necessarily the need to file a police report, it depends on the situation.

TrevorK
01-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by abyss

There's no point to wasting the police's time unless there's over $1000 damage or one of the involved parties is injured.

not filing doesn't automatically mean you have something to hide, it could mean that you believe there is less than the damage required to file.

ALSO, if you claim through insurance there is still not necessarily the need to file a police report, it depends on the situation.

If the accident is the other guys fault, and you don't make a police report, there's no way to prove that he didn't change his story later on.

The police report provides concrete evidence as to what happened. Quite often the insurance company has to deal with people who change their stories from the police report - which discredits them.

But if there's no police report, there's no way to prove they had change their story (Or their interpretation of what happened).

Again, if you have nothing to hide, always file the report. It will give proof of what happened, in case a claim is made 1 year later (Which does happen, especially with personal injury).

abyss
01-19-2005, 11:54 AM

If the accident is the other guys fault, and you don't make a police report, there's no way to prove that he didn't change his story later on.

The police report provides concrete evidence as to what happened. Quite often the insurance company has to deal with people who change their stories from the police report - which discredits them.

But if there's no police report, there's no way to prove they had change their story (Or their interpretation of what happened).

Again, if you have nothing to hide, always file the report. It will give proof of what happened, in case a claim is made 1 year later (Which does happen, especially with personal injury).

If the accident is the other guy's fault and neither you or him is injured, nor is there over $1000 worth of damage to your car, why would you file a police report? BTW any conversations between insurance companies and involved parties are recorded. So if you decide to settle outside of insurance, you shouldn't file a police report anyways, and if you settle with insurance, they will contact him directly after you talk to them and get his side of the story.

I agree that if there is over $1000 worth of damage and/or someone is injured AND you have nothing to hide, THEN file a police report.

*edit* this is my opinon based on my "accident" which the guy I nudged did not file a police report, but then claimed 2 years later that he was injured. I had nothing to hide, nor did I believe he was injured, and there CERTAINLY wasn't $1000 worth of damage to either vehicle...or both combined even! Since I had contacted my insurance company an hour after the accident to let them know what happened they contacted him to hear his side. Since they had all this on file, his case was GREATLY dimished becasue he did not file a police report after discovering he was so "injured". I say diminished because I am stilll waiting to hear the verdict, 3 years after the fact.

idriveabox
01-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Interesting thoughts on the industry guys...

1. You should ALWAYS file a police report. True, if it is over 1000 PD than it is mandatory, but even if its a small accident - do it.
It protects the rights of you and the third party. It is not a "waste" of police time, they track accident stats as well.

2. Even if you phone in a claim, the Company can note the accident and not START the claim. This will NOT raise your premiums, and at worst (if the company is organized enough and documents claims correctly) will only exclude you from claiming the damage on later claims. Ie. you wont be able to claim a dented fender, later on in a different accident, because they have it documented.

My advice - dont phone it in unless you want to have the policy respond. Deal with it.
BUT they wont raise your rates, for simply reporting a claim.
Its all about frequency as well- like said before if you report 10x/year you make more work, and eventually underwritting is going to be notified.

TrevorK
01-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by abyss

If the accident is the other guy's fault and neither you or him is injured, nor is there over $1000 worth of damage to your car, why would you file a police report? BTW any conversations between insurance companies and involved parties are recorded. So if you decide to settle outside of insurance, you shouldn't file a police report anyways, and if you settle with insurance, they will contact him directly after you talk to them and get his side of the story.

I agree that if there is over $1000 worth of damage and/or someone is injured AND you have nothing to hide, THEN file a police report.

*edit* this is my opinon based on my "accident" which the guy I nudged did not file a police report, but then claimed 2 years later that he was injured. I had nothing to hide, nor did I believe he was injured, and there CERTAINLY wasn't $1000 worth of damage to either vehicle...or both combined even! Since I had contacted my insurance company an hour after the accident to let them know what happened they contacted him to hear his side. Since they had all this on file, his case was GREATLY dimished becasue he did not file a police report after discovering he was so "injured". I say diminished because I am stilll waiting to hear the verdict, 3 years after the fact.

Most people don't call their insurance companies to report accidents they don't claim - which is why I'd recommend the police report.

I'm sure your route is fine - because you still have a record of the incident, but I still feel better with a police.

abyss
01-19-2005, 01:14 PM
That's why I said it all depends on the situation as far as filing a police report. Don't think I'm coming across as saying never file one, I just don't believe in ALL circumstances it's neccessary.

Black Gts
01-19-2005, 02:24 PM
Wow you guys are awesome, i never got a police report and now im glad cause my insurance doesnt know about it. thanks alot i thought this was a differ4ent thread at first, cause this one was dead for awhile with only a couple responses.:thumbsup:

abyss
01-19-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Black Gts
Wow you guys are awesome, i never got a police report and now im glad cause my insurance doesnt know about it. thanks alot i thought this was a differ4ent thread at first, cause this one was dead for awhile with only a couple responses.:thumbsup:

Has the guy paid you yet?

DayGlow
01-19-2005, 06:24 PM

No they don't - unless you have a pattern of getting into accidents.

Good to know. I have heard they can still classify you as a higher risk even if no claim was made.

TrevorK
01-20-2005, 09:57 AM

Good to know. I have heard they can still classify you as a higher risk even if no claim was made.

Not unless you have a history of it, or if your incident was suspicous (Fraud).