PDA

View Full Version : Region Free DVD Player?

Shizuku
01-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone here could tell me what to look for in a player? Long story short, back home in Japan I have the full set-up and all my DVDs have been Region 2 but here I am unable to play some of my favorites (Battle Royale, Ichi the Killer - real version, anime, etc.). So I am wondering as far as price, features (this is kind of my big concern), where to buy from, don't really have a budget because I'm not sure how much to spend. Now in Japan, quit a few DVDs are coming out NTSC All but I don't really want to re-buy my whole collection.

Much thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

FiveFreshFish
01-08-2005, 09:27 PM
I found this site when I was browsing for DVD recorders. They offer region-free players that also play DivX, XviD and others.

http://www.onlybestrated.com/?osCsid=e36181dae0758321e7baf829be4d2d02

EmJay
01-08-2005, 09:31 PM
check these sites out:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

and just search throught the dvd players if u have a few in mind just do a search and see if they are capable of being made region free and what they are capable of playing

also if you find a player or have one currently check here on how to make it region free or if it is even possible

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

emjay

cityhunter2501
01-09-2005, 01:22 AM
most dvd players sold on T&T mall (infront of Marlborough mall) are region free.
and they cost from 50-100CAD$

bring some of your dvds to be sure, but Im positive that they will work as I bought 2 dvd players in there already that have played Battle Royale DVD and the Collectors Ed and UK DVDs.

ps. I got this dvd divx player for Christmas, Philips dvp642 and its region free aswell + plays most of my animes burned on cds and dvds :thumbsup:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=0&sku_id=0665000FS10044255&catid=&newdeptid=11

Euro838
01-10-2005, 11:37 PM
Or you can do what I do which is just re-burn them using www.DVDShrink.org This freeware will remove any protection or Region Coding. You can also re-author the DVD so you can take out menus and extras. Neat little piece of software. And at DVD-R prices these days, doesn't cost much to backup your expensive overseas titles. Hope this helps.

cityhunter2501
01-11-2005, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Euro838
Or you can do what I do which is just re-burn them using www.DVDShrink.org This freeware will remove any protection or Region Coding. You can also re-author the DVD so you can take out menus and extras. Neat little piece of software. And at DVD-R prices these days, doesn't cost much to backup your expensive overseas titles. Hope this helps.

there's a problem with that:
1. dvd-roms can change region only 5 times(IIRC), after that it will lock to the region its currently at, unless you patch the firmware.
2. waste of time making backups of each dvds
3. waste of dvdr
4. loss of 40-60% of quality for dvd9 movies

cman
01-11-2005, 11:34 PM
so do you guys know how/where i can get a mod for my dvd to play another region. and also any idea of the cost of doing this?
or would i just be better off to do what Euro838 said.

(stupid me bought euro dvd's thinking they would work here)

cityhunter2501
01-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by cman
so do you guys know how/where i can get a mod for my dvd to play another region. and also any idea of the cost of doing this?
or would i just be better off to do what Euro838 said.

(stupid me bought euro dvd's thinking they would work here)
go to T&T mall in Marlborough, there is an electronic store there that sells dvd players for 60-100$ and those are region free.

cman
01-11-2005, 11:46 PM
i dont really want to buy a new one, the one i have is pretty high-end.

saiyajin
01-12-2005, 12:45 AM
^ check that video help site and put in your model number and see if they have an unlock code there i unlock a couple of my dvd players :thumbsup:

cman
01-12-2005, 12:53 AM
i did and they ahve a code for a contoller? how do i use the code they supplied???

triver525
01-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Those crack websites usually tell you how to use the code. If the website you found doesn't tell you, find another one.

szw
01-12-2005, 10:40 AM
I have one of those cheap NOVA DVD players that FIDO was giving away and it is region free. I think the same one is like 30 bucks during boxing week at futureshop, maybe 40 or 50 now.

Might not have features, but it works.

atomic
01-12-2005, 06:37 PM
philips dvp642 . also plays divx and xvid . quick google search for the available key combinations to change the regional encoding

atomic
01-12-2005, 06:40 PM
here i found the hack page for u

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=Philips+DVP+642

also, i use one . it's great . has component, s-video and composite out . also does progressive scan on component .

plus if you have either an audio digital input or opitical input on your amp, it supports that too .

for under $100 u can't go wrong .

Shizuku
01-17-2005, 02:32 PM
Thank you to all. :)

cman
01-19-2005, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Euro838

i tried this and the files from the original dvd exceed teh storage limit on the dvd-r...what do i do?

i hate sucking at computer shit