PDA

View Full Version : Turbo an Auto ford ZX2?

d4nt3
01-09-2005, 08:23 PM
I'm new here...well sorta... I am new to the whole tuning scene though... So I hope this is in the right place. Anyways, I am thinking about getting a turbo for my ZX2... but I have a couple questions about it first. 1) Can I turbo and automatic car and nothing bad happpen? I've seen some turbo'd automatic Supra's(stock) but I didn't know if it would ruin something somehow. 2) Is it worth getting a turbo? Or should I get other things instead? And what? Right now my car is stock because I share it with my sister when she comes home from college T_T...but she won't be using it this summer/next year because I get it...yay! So I was thinking about getting a bodykit, cold air intake, catback exhaust, and a new ECU(some how...dunno where to get one). I hope someone can help me...

EDIT: fixed title.

EFHatch
01-09-2005, 09:49 PM
my advice, get your own car so your sister doesn't have to deal with the down time of installing a turbo.

illeagle
01-09-2005, 10:04 PM
might wanna check www.teamfmr.com they might know how strong your tranny is.. and how to go about 'chipping' your ECU. As for it being stock, Just start small...guarenteed you'll want a different car soon.. if you wanna go all the way, everytime you upgrade, keep the turbo in mind.. like when getting exhaust, upgrade to 2.5, straight through muffler, and resonators. Don't buy a CAI since you'll be swappng it out for charge pipes anyways...If you ghett-rig a turbo setup, there is a chance of blowing up your motor, so yah, it's ALOT of work to have a reliable turbocharged car. just ask the guys on teamfmr.com, they'll guide you... if not...buy a 5 speed Honda.:thumbsup:

Iceman_19
01-10-2005, 04:53 AM
get a new car. spending all that money on a zx2 that isnt even yours is pointless. you wont get alot of power of it it, for way too much cash spent. i know people say this all the time, but its better to start with a good base then building off of that.

blizare
01-10-2005, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Iceman_19
[B]get a new car. spending all that money on a zx2 that isnt even yours is pointless. QUOTE]

couldn't have said it better.

To be part of "The Scene" (I can't believe I just said that) you need to have a car woth more appeal than a zx2.

thats just working with what you got and that's shitty.

d4nt3
01-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies, and I've been thinking about trying to find a cheap used 97 TT Supra manual(yes, it will be my first manual car driven, but i've always wanted to learn.)to get and ask for it for my 18 birthday... So I hope that goes well... Thanks again for all the input.

M_Power
01-10-2005, 03:15 PM
When people say upgrade from a ZX2 they don't mean buy a MKIV Supra when ur 18. Think turbo Honda, DSM, Nissans, etc.

bspot
01-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by d4nt3
Thanks for all the replies, and I've been thinking about trying to find a cheap used 97 TT Supra manual(yes, it will be my first manual car driven, but i've always wanted to learn.)to get and ask for it for my 18 birthday... So I hope that goes well... Thanks again for all the input.

"Cheap"

ahahahahaha.. good luck! I would love one of those myself.

d4nt3
01-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by bspot

"Cheap"

ahahahahaha.. good luck! I would love one of those myself.

Actually I've been able to fine one in OK to nice condition for around 11-13 grand on the internet...but I have not been able to find a carmax or dealer that even carries a 97 supra.

EDIT: I've thought about it, and I think i will be looking for a supra or an integra type R. I've always had this respect for the Type R ever since I found out about it.

Iceman_19
01-10-2005, 07:44 PM
hes from atlanta. car prices down there are a hell of a lot different then up here.

d4nt3
01-10-2005, 09:30 PM
hehe yea :D

Iceman_19
01-11-2005, 03:11 AM
anyways, yes, go for something different. if you want to go really fast, MKIV supra is where its at. autos are fine, there is a more then enough auto supra running fast. ive seen video footage of a daily driven auto supra running 10.30s on street tires at 130mph. www.supraforums.com. excellent place to research them.

d4nt3
01-11-2005, 03:07 PM
okay. thanks!

HillBilly
01-11-2005, 04:06 PM
I read somewhere that a ZX2 had a weight distribution of 80/20!!

A collegue of mine has one, so we weighed it a few months back.

One axle at a time.

and guess what..... 80/20.

get a car worth turbocharging.

legendboy
01-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Refer to this thread for your answer. Thanks.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34565&highlight=turbo+saturn