PDA

View Full Version : Cpsc

5hift
01-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Im in the Computer Science Program at U of C and planning on taking CPSC 355 as one of my classes for the winter semester. There is not even a course description posted so I was wondering if anyone who took it could let me know kind of what to expect in terms of how hard it is and the workload/assignments.

Also I heard that CPSC 355 and CPSC 321 will no longer be offered after this year because both classes are being merged into one class that may even already be offered. At this point I havent done either 355 or 321 so I'm wondering if its even worth it to take 355. One thing I did hear is that this new merged class is much harder as well.

I plan on talking to the CPSC ppl when school starts anyways but I was wondering if someone could give me a heads up.

mushi_mushi
01-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Hey, im sort of in the same boat, im taking cpsc 355 in the winter semester as well....I know that cpsc 265 is being offered this year which is basically a replacment for cpsc 355...

I have not heard that they were merging 321 and 355 but then again I don't pay to much attention to those sort of things....

In the end it is we the student who get screwed, as if comp sci wasn't hard enough they find new ways to make your life miserable...

5hift
01-10-2005, 02:12 AM
Yah I've noticed that about computer science that from day one thats its a bit different from most faculties as they could care less how you do.

Have you done 321 already or do you have to do that as well. I think if you have 321 done your ok but if you havent done either thats where the problems come up

The only sure thing i know about cpsc is to take Manzera where ever you get the chance. He is the only prof that doesnt leave you wanting to drop cpsc at the end of each lecture. I think i got him for his tues/thurs afternoon class for 355.

Zero102
01-10-2005, 10:46 AM
I find Manzara is boring, but if you ever run into any troubles, he is very helpful and fair.
So, all in all, he gets a big :thumbsup:

Anyhoo, that aside, I just took CPSC 355 with him in the fall semester.

In 355, I always started my assignments the week they were due. I just sat down with the book examples, and my lecture notes, and there wasn't one assignment I didn't finish. Now, saying that doesn't imply the assignments are easy, but if you're in lecture, and you understand what he's talking about, you won't have any serious problems on the assignments.

The workload in that class I would say is a bit below average, but not a lot.

The midterm and final were MUCH easier than I expected. If you have a tutorial with Victor Liu, just switch now, he's an absolute moron. He can't mark worth crap, macro's become micro's, etc... just avoid him.

mushi_mushi
01-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Yeah I just read some of the stuff on the cpsc website and like you said cpsc 321 is not being offered after this semester, and since I have not taken it, I have to do cpsc 265 weather I like it or not....in any case the course is taught by Manzara, ive never had him, but heard he is good but very boring...

The thing about this change is that it doesn't just one subject but your degree in general....since we cannot take 321 and/or 355 we have to satisfy the graduation requirements of this year... this means we have to take a stats course, as well as something else...I cant recall at this tim

or there is always the alternative which is to take cpsc 355 or 321 through MRC, but for me thats unexceptable...

5hift
01-10-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by mushi_mushi
Yeah I just read some of the stuff on the cpsc website and like you said cpsc 321 is not being offered after this semester, and since I have not taken it, I have to do cpsc 265 weather I like it or not....in any case the course is taught by Manzara, ive never had him, but heard he is good but very boring...

The thing about this change is that it doesn't just one subject but your degree in general....since we cannot take 321 and/or 355 we have to satisfy the graduation requirements of this year... this means we have to take a stats course, as well as something else...I cant recall at this tim

or there is always the alternative which is to take cpsc 355 or 321 through MRC, but for me thats unexceptable...

Yah its ridiculous how they change stuff on us half way through a program. If you havent done 321 doing 355 might be a waste of time and you might be better off doing 265. A problem with that is 265 has other classes for prereqs that 355 doesnt so it makes it even tougher to work it out. I think i'll just ask Manzara tomm in class

mushi_mushi
01-10-2005, 07:53 PM
I think the only prereq for 265 is 231..I dont remember what you need for cpsc 355, but I think you just need cpsc 233......321 however requires both cpsc 233 and math 271...

I for one just switched to 265, since I know there is no way that I can get both 355 and 321 in this semester....

Its funny how they bump everything down to first year....I think math 221 was a second year course (or at least for eng it is/was), as was I believe math 271 and now we have cpsc 265 replacing 2 second year courses....

5hift
01-10-2005, 07:58 PM
I think for that CPSC 265 class you need PHIL 279 and MATH 271 as well. That is why I orginally tried to do 355 and maybe 321 later as I dont have Math 271 done yet.

Now that im in 355 and the semester has already started I probably wont even be able to get into another class that would help me. :thumbsdow

mushi_mushi
01-11-2005, 12:54 AM
Yeah I hear ya, I had all the prereqs except math 271, I failed that course and am dreading the fact that I have to redo it eventually...According to the U of C callender the only prereq for cpsc 265 is 231, but then again with all the screw ups in that callender I wouldn't be surprised if it was wrong....

CPSC 265 still has openings with both profs....the tutorials are filling up though....

Zero102
01-11-2005, 10:11 AM
I think there's been a small misunderstanding in this thread.

When they modify a program, such as the CPSC degree, you can choose to either stick with the old way, or take the new way. There is no middle ground on it, but you still have the choice. To accomidate the people who choose to stick with the old way, they will keep the courses required for the degree, as long as the course number dictates. I.E. 321 is a 2nd year course, so it will be there for 1 year after they change the requirements.

I'm taking 321 this semester. I hate my teacher already. From romania, and taught in montreal for a while, what a confusing accent she has.

Orbie
01-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
I find Manzara is boring, but if you ever run into any troubles, he is very helpful and fair.
So, all in all, he gets a big :thumbsup:

Anyhoo, that aside, I just took CPSC 355 with him in the fall semester.

In 355, I always started my assignments the week they were due. I just sat down with the book examples, and my lecture notes, and there wasn't one assignment I didn't finish. Now, saying that doesn't imply the assignments are easy, but if you're in lecture, and you understand what he's talking about, you won't have any serious problems on the assignments.

The workload in that class I would say is a bit below average, but not a lot.

The midterm and final were MUCH easier than I expected. If you have a tutorial with Victor Liu, just switch now, he's an absolute moron. He can't mark worth crap, macro's become micro's, etc... just avoid him.

When I was in CPSC Manzara was my favorite teacher, I only had him for 321 but that was also my first A in CPSC.

I'm not sure how or why they softened up 355 so badly! Judging from your description Zero102, it sounds like a cake walk now. 355 used to be one of those right of passage classes in CPSC, anyone who took it with Bidulock back in the day knows exactly what I'm talking about! Lecture didn't teach you crap, you were basically on your own with stacks of assembly manuals and hand outs to do the assignments and prepare for tests. The assignments were impossible to do in a short period of time, not to mention they were worth 20% altogether for 10 assignments. Each was only worth 2%, but they were the easy marks since everyone could work together to figure it out. Eventually Bidulock got wise and took out assignments altogether, so when I took it it was 50% midterm, 50% final...lots of fun!

Orbie
01-11-2005, 11:11 AM

Its funny how they bump everything down to first year....I think math 221 was a second year course (or at least for eng it is/was), as was I believe math 271 and now we have cpsc 265 replacing 2 second year courses....

Math 221 and Math 271 were most definitley not 2nd year courses, if you wanted to be in CPSC back a few years, these were requirements to get into the department. Thus you needed to take them your first year in a four year degree. Math 271 alone was probably responsible for weeding 30% of the initial student body. Then they wimped it out big time by making it only a requirement for second year courses. At least now there are moving back on the right track by making it a requirement for other 1st year courses.

Depending on how they teach CPSC 265, I would feel sorry for whoever has to take it, IMHO there was definitely enough material in 321 and 355 for two seperate courses. By cramming it all into one, they rip off the students by not allowing them to learn everything to the fullest. Not to mention that it'll probably be quite fast paced and tough.

5hift
01-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Yeah I hear ya, I had all the prereqs except math 271, I failed that course and am dreading the fact that I have to redo it eventually...According to the U of C callender the only prereq for cpsc 265 is 231, but then again with all the screw ups in that callender I wouldn't be surprised if it was wrong....

CPSC 265 still has openings with both profs....the tutorials are filling up though....

If you are dreding taking math 271 that much , I would suggest taking a look at taking it through athabasca. I have never attempted math 271 but i've heard the horror stories. This is one way I am leaning towards because U of C does give credit for this course through athabasca. I know your probably thinking doing it on your own would be even harder, but one thing I know about athabasca is that your tests are open book. I took math 221 from them and all my marks were based on my midterm and my final. I was allowed to bring my textbook into both exams. Needless to say, I got a A in a class and finished it way ahead of time.

mushi_mushi
01-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
I think there's been a small misunderstanding in this thread.

When they modify a program, such as the CPSC degree, you can choose to either stick with the old way, or take the new way. There is no middle ground on it, but you still have the choice. To accomidate the people who choose to stick with the old way, they will keep the courses required for the degree, as long as the course number dictates. I.E. 321 is a 2nd year course, so it will be there for 1 year after they change the requirements.

I'm taking 321 this semester. I hate my teacher already. From romania, and taught in montreal for a while, what a confusing accent she has.

The thing is if you don't have a prereq for one of those 300 level course you are basically screwed because this is the last session in which these courses will be offered, so its either take CPSC 265 or go complete 321 and 355 at some place like MRC when you attain the prereq...

mushi_mushi
01-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Orbie

Math 221 and Math 271 were most definitley not 2nd year courses, if you wanted to be in CPSC back a few years, these were requirements to get into the department. Thus you needed to take them your first year in a four year degree. Math 271 alone was probably responsible for weeding 30% of the initial student body. Then they wimped it out big time by making it only a requirement for second year courses. At least now there are moving back on the right track by making it a requirement for other 1st year courses.

Depending on how they teach CPSC 265, I would feel sorry for whoever has to take it, IMHO there was definitely enough material in 321 and 355 for two seperate courses. By cramming it all into one, they rip off the students by not allowing them to learn everything to the fullest. Not to mention that it'll probably be quite fast paced and tough.

I have heard from a couple of eng student that math 271 is a second year requirment for them, maybe I misunderstood....I decided to go with CPSC 265, but I hate the idea being used as guini pigs, hope this one isn't going to turn into another one of those classes with a 50% failure rate....

mushi_mushi
01-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Khali

If you are dreding taking math 271 that much , I would suggest taking a look at taking it through athabasca. I have never attempted math 271 but i've heard the horror stories. This is one way I am leaning towards because U of C does give credit for this course through athabasca. I know your probably thinking doing it on your own would be even harder, but one thing I know about athabasca is that your tests are open book. I took math 221 from them and all my marks were based on my midterm and my final. I was allowed to bring my textbook into both exams. Needless to say, I got a A in a class and finished it way ahead of time.

That might be something I should look into...math 271 really isnt that bad, its starts of pretty easy, when it gets to induction though im ready to cry....Its a class that demands alot of attention, attention which I never gave it...

5hift
01-11-2005, 01:33 PM

I have heard from a couple of eng student that math 271 is a second year requirment for them, maybe I misunderstood....I decided to go with CPSC 265, but I hate the idea being used as guini pigs, hope this one isn't going to turn into another one of those classes with a 50% failure rate....

Yeah I just switched into Manzera's 265 class as well and im seriously not sure what to expect. Heres hoping that since they moved it to a 200 Level class it will be at a 200 Level of difficulty.

Zero102
01-11-2005, 03:49 PM
The thing is if you don't have a prereq for one of those 300 level course you are basically screwed because this is the last session in which these courses will be offered, so its either take CPSC 265 or go complete 321 and 355 at some place like MRC when you attain the prereq...

Ahh, I see what you mean now.

355 was _not_ an easy course, but I found the assignments were rather similar to the examples, and if you sat down with the examples, and the course notes, you could do 95% of the assignment pretty easily. The other 5% took some real thinking, or luck if it was in the book.

Manzara is a great teacher though.

mushi_mushi
01-11-2005, 11:04 PM
On a bit of a side note does cpsc 265 have a website, im having trouble locating things like notes and assignments for Manzara's class...

5hift
01-12-2005, 12:05 AM
On a bit of a side note does cpsc 265 have a website, im having trouble locating things like notes and assignments for Manzara's class...

I dont think Manzara has a website where he posts his notes. I've had him for 233 and 331 and he never has has a website. When i was taking him for 331, he was the only prof without a website. I think its because he gives great notes in class and wants to kind of force students to show up to class and pay attention.

Zero102
01-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Yep, no web site for 355 when I took it with him.

mushi_mushi
01-12-2005, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the heads up guys, ill take your word for it...just had my first class of 265 doesnt seem that bad so far, but we've barley even started...

First impressions of the prof, doesn't seem to high on energy but explains things relatively well...seems organized and treats students with respect...

im not sure what to expect from the course but something tells me its not going to be very intresting...

Zero102
01-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Yeah, this isn't really something against him, but he really isn't excited about the course material. But, what he lacks in enthusiasm, he makes up for in effort.

5hift
01-15-2005, 12:06 AM
I just went to my first CPSC 265 class today as I just added it. Was it just me or did it seem like we are just learning a new language and this seems kind of like its going to be a easy class?

mushi_mushi
01-15-2005, 05:46 PM
Well Manzara said that the purpose of the class wasn't to learn C but, we needed C to do SPARC. I havn't purchased either textbook so im not sure what the hell we will be doing with SPARC, but so far learning C hasn't been that hard...Manzara keeps reffering to people that have done pascal in 231, but considering both of us have used java most of this stuff that we are covering in C doesn't look all that different...

The examples he gave in class were very basic and easy to follow but than again we are just starting out, I think I'll have a better feel for the coarse after a couple of weeks go by, or untill some assignments are given, but so far so good.....

iRoNyX
01-17-2005, 06:47 PM
I took this class in Fall of 2003 I believe.

The class is not bad. It is focused entirely around assembly language, which is a very low-level programming language. It is basically raw machine code, and all high level languages (C, Java, etc.) get turned into machine code by compilers such as javac and gcc. Assembly is also compiled to machine code, but it is a VERY small step compared to high-level languages.

The course is not hard if you attend the lectures and listen. Assembly is generally easy since it is very low-level and as such there are not a whole ton of ways to do things. You learn basic commands to copy registers, move things, and branch to other points in your code.

The hardest part I found was documenting the runtime of every assignment via that debug program, the name of which escapes me right now.

Manzara may be Mr. Monotone, but he knows his shit, and knows it ALOT better than most of the profs you will have during your degree. Force yourself to listen to him and you will do fine.

Take it easy,

-Dave