PDA

View Full Version : Towa Sushi

B17a
01-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Was there last night, and I must say it was absolutely fantastic! I'm a big sushi fan so I'm quite particular. This place has the biggest rolls I've ever seen and its not that its all rice, huge fillings!

Food - 9/10
Service - 9/10
Ambiance - 8/10
Value - 9/10

Was about $80 for 2 people (I'm a big eater!).

awd
01-10-2005, 09:20 AM
Sushi Towa is my second favourite sushi joint in Calgary -- you never go home hungry.

Ariakas
01-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Big portions for sure, their lunch special is a good deal. the udon and sushi combo :thumbsup:

saiyajin
01-10-2005, 10:52 AM
:werd: i really like it there and they make their rolls a bit different as well quite unique :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

B17a
01-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by awd
Sushi Towa is my second favourite sushi joint in Calgary -- you never go home hungry.

Which is your first?

maxout
01-10-2005, 11:26 AM
where is this located??

B17a
01-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by maxout
where is this located??

21st Ave and 4th Street SW.

00redLUDE
01-10-2005, 11:34 AM
I've been to that restaurant and it was a terrible experience. We asked for extra wasabi and they CHARGED us for the extra wasabi!!! WTF??!!! We even asked why they would charge us for the extra wasabi, their response was 'well the tea is free'. We didn't order tea, we all had beer. WTF

Yes the portion of sushi were large but it wasn't that great.

Also don't go there close to closing time otherwise they give you this dirty look that they are doing you a favor by serving you. (heard from someone that went their close to closing- not 5 min. from closing but something like 30 min. from closing)

As for Towa... a big :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Food - 5/10
Service - 3/10
Ambiance -7/10
Value - 1/10

in*10*se
01-10-2005, 11:36 AM
^ whoa...

i dunno man... it's the best sushi place in calgary imo...

oh well.... to each their own...

kiwi
01-10-2005, 01:29 PM
I hightly recommend Towa! :thumbsup: :drool:

awd
01-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Sounds like a freak occurence to me -- I have been to Sushi Towa 10+ times and on every occasion it was great.

Originally posted by 00redLUDE
I've been to that restaurant and it was a terrible experience. We asked for extra wasabi and they CHARGED us for the extra wasabi!!! WTF??!!! We even asked why they would charge us for the extra wasabi, their response was 'well the tea is free'. We didn't order tea, we all had beer. WTF

Yes the portion of sushi were large but it wasn't that great.

Also don't go there close to closing time otherwise they give you this dirty look that they are doing you a favor by serving you. (heard from someone that went their close to closing- not 5 min. from closing but something like 30 min. from closing)

As for Towa... a big :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Food - 5/10
Service - 3/10
Ambiance -7/10
Value - 1/10

sin
01-10-2005, 02:33 PM
what would you guys say is the average price you'd pay there for a full meal? im just getting into sushi and id really like to try it there.

max_boost
01-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Great place to eat! I've been there 3-4 times and enjoyed it everytime. The sushi was some of the best I've ever had. It was so good, so fresh, it was just different compared to the other sushi places in the city.

Anyway, rather weird that they charge extra for wasabi, that's ridiculous:rofl:

awd
01-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by sin
what would you guys say is the average price you'd pay there for a full meal? im just getting into sushi and id really like to try it there.

Depends I guess, I will also down 3-4 Asahi's and a couple bottles of chilled sake so my bill tends to creep up.

t-im
01-10-2005, 03:12 PM
towa is alright if you order normal sushi...but if you get adventurous..you're gonna end up with rolls covered with nasty cream cheese/yogurt/sour creme (which was ssoo nasty btw)

but overall it's not bad

stefan15
01-10-2005, 08:53 PM
I took the advice on the boards and tried it out. I ended up spending about $40 but I went all out so, you could probably get away with $30.

fcuk_it
01-10-2005, 10:21 PM
awesome place to bring a date...

EVOI
01-11-2005, 01:32 AM
went there last week for the first time and overall wasn't so bad..
fish was fresh and service wasn't so bad but really hope they can ease up the avocado and could use some better rice!!

pinoyhero
01-11-2005, 06:45 AM
I wasn't a huge fan for the following reasons...

1. The place is tiny and they have customers packed in, your too close to the tabel net to you

2. The prices were high but reflective of the size of the rolls but...

3. The rolls were too damn big, you have to ram them in your mouth or try to cut them in half (or at least you lady friend will), that is not fun

4. The interior of the restaurant is trendy but not "nice". It wasn't overly clean, but that's probably just due to he volume of traffic.

Again, I have to plug my favorite place and the only place I got to for Sushi...Zen 8

B17a
01-11-2005, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by EVOI
went there last week for the first time and overall wasn't so bad..
fish was fresh and service wasn't so bad but really hope they can ease up the avocado and could use some better rice!!

I love avocado and can't get enough, I guess to each their own tastes.

climer
01-11-2005, 11:36 PM
3. The rolls were too damn big, you have to ram them in your mouth or try to cut them in half (or at least you lady friend will), that is not fun

I agree completely. I found the concept of huge maki to be kind of ridiculous.

Maybe I'm a little old fashioned but I prefer something I can pop in my mouth with little or no effort.

Zen8 and Sushi Hiro are my favorite places.

eblend
01-12-2005, 06:52 PM
i like towa...been there a bunch of times, definately better then some of the other joints i have hit, and the size of the sushi sure fills you up :D

kiwi
01-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero

Originally posted by climer
I agree completely. I found the concept of huge maki to be kind of ridiculous.

Maybe I'm a little old fashioned but I prefer something I can pop in my mouth with little or no effort.

Zen8 and Sushi Hiro are my favorite places.

The giant sushi & rolls are what makes Towa distinct! I love it personally!

nekoi
01-14-2005, 02:07 AM
I was right at the door but after looking at those large pieces of nigiri....... I didn't go in. I am looking for quality and not QUANTITY, also the rice on those nigiri looked like it was pressed by a machine(maybe it is my mistake).

eblend
01-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by nekoi
I was right at the door but after looking at those large pieces of nigiri....... I didn't go in. I am looking for quality and not QUANTITY, also the rice on those nigiri looked like it was pressed by a machine(maybe it is my mistake).

if you ask me, its the best tasting shusi i had from around calgary

RiCE-DaDDy
01-27-2005, 10:01 PM
place is too damn expensive...then again ive been in vancouver for the past year :P

mo_virgin
01-27-2005, 10:09 PM
overated.. my friends swear that the good food is worth the high price, but then again they don't live in Vancouver.

RiCE-DaDDy
01-28-2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by mo_virgin
overated.. my friends swear that the good food is worth the high price, but then again they don't live in Vancouver.

say :werd: