bol
01-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Carvers Steak House

Number in Party - 5
Food rating - 8 / 10
Ambience - 3 / 5
Service - 8 / 10
Average Cost per person: $45.00 incl. dessert

I went to Carvers last night for my girlfriends birthday. Ben demanded that I write a review! This is my first review, so it will most likely suck.

The Food:
Traditional steakhouse selection with a few seafood/lobster dishes. Unfortunately nearly all the appetizers are seafood related and I am not a fan of seafood. The menu selection was quite small but you only go to Carvers for one reason - steak. For a price of $35 you can get a 12oz new york strip with salad and whipped potatoes(which I am told are not very good.) A loaded baked potato is $3.95 extra(and was the biggest potato I have ever seen.)

The steak was cooked to perfection and lightly seasoned. It was served on a hot skillet so that it does not get cold if you choose to pace yourself(unfortunately this has the side effect of cooking the steak while you eat it.)

Overall it was very good and most likely the best steak I have ever had without a sauce. The baked potato was gigantic and tasted as a baked potato should! The salad was interesting... it was served as whole leaves wrapped up and standing on your plate. It was an interesting way to serve a salad but unfortunately makes eating it a chore.

Ambience:
Carvers has a more modern decor than say, Hy's but unfortunately the age of the building shows in the walls and ceiling. It really takes away from the whole experience. The music was too loud and sounded too much like elevator music to me(Jazz should never sound like elevator music. I didn't know there was such a thing as easy listening jazz.)

Service:
The service could have been better considering there were only two tables while we were there but most likely they only had minimal staff. No glass ever went empty.

Overall:
For $45 you get a very good meal with large serving sizes(this isn't Teatro!) For me the decor was too dated and the overall ambience was too subdued and numb. If the music had been quieter it would have been a much better experience. The steak is better than Hy's but the atmosphere is lacking.

I would go again!

Ben
01-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Good review buddy!

It's just like how I remember it. Totally forgot about the Cuke wrapped salads, yeah, that was messed for sure.