PDA

View Full Version : First Lesson

Amnesia
01-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Hey there!!

I had my first lesson today with my dad!!

Man! It was a little scary. first time i ever got in a car. Stalled it 3 times in a row!!

After that it was okay, just getting used to it though.

How was your first experiences?!

abyss
01-10-2005, 12:07 PM
only three?! The frst time my dad took me out in the 88 mustang I stalled ummm.....well it was so many that it just wouldn't be worth counting. Then he finally told me that if I thought I was going to stall I could just push the clutch back in....(SO would've helped me BEFORE I stalled a million times) I thought until I was 14 that once you started letting up on the clutch it was all or nothing! :D

My most memorable experience was when Minh tried to teach me how to drive standard in th spec V. Burned the tires all through first and second gear :eek: strange though....he doesn't let me drive it too often anymore.....;)

Amnesia
01-10-2005, 12:10 PM
yeah only three to begin with.
was just pretty nervous, everytime i saw a car come towards me i kinda panicked! lol.

But after a few more lessons i should be alright.

I was driving a mk4 Golf TDI. 2.0Litre.

But things can only get better! RIGHT?! lol

Zero102
01-10-2005, 12:28 PM
TDI 2.0L?
I thought all TDI's were 1.9L

Amnesia
01-10-2005, 12:28 PM
maybe it is then... lol

BumpinTalon
01-10-2005, 01:02 PM
he's a Brit, he probably gets to drive the cool German TDIs we don't get. I only stalled like five times the first time I drove stick and haven't stalled it since. stick > auto. be glad you live in the UK where autos are rare.

Amnesia
01-10-2005, 01:18 PM
So you prefer manual to autos then?

Yeah my dads car is quite nice, i enjoyed driving it, just hated having to brake lol. i shoved in the clutch slowly applied the break, but was soon running out of the little turning to stop, so had to it it harder, i didnt intend to throw him that far forward lol ! oops

nismodrifter
01-10-2005, 01:24 PM
tdi is teh easiest car to learn on, I had some trouble driving smooth at first but I didn't really have any practise...car was bought that day...and I drove it on the street that day haha :D

abyss
01-10-2005, 01:24 PM
I just remembered! I took my little brother out on his first lesson, he was 14, I was 20 and I took him out in the 84 Tercel. He almost killed us like 5 times and was SO hard on the brakes. After we FINALLY made it home I told my mom everything and now she won't ever let him drive anywhere with her. Which is a good thing though, cause my mom's patience with learning drivers is like <--> this big! :D He turns 16 in 6 days! stay off the Red Deer roads! :burnout:

Amnesia
01-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Yeah, today was the first day I have ever been driving in that car, in fact - on ANY car.
So everything was totally new. I quite enjoyed it though... was hard driving smooth at first, but then it was alright after a while.

Well, at least i know i wasnt the only one with problems lol

tirebob
01-10-2005, 01:38 PM
When I was 16 I went to Quebec in a student exchange. We were band geeks and they were an english class. I spoke no French at all when I got there... The short story is that I was there for 1 week, got laid and could get in the bars so I quit school and stayed there.

Anyways, I got a job in a tire shop by meeting a guy who worked there and spoke both english and french. He lied his ass off for me saying that I spoke a little french and that I was learning fast, and that he just had to ask me basic questions... I sat through an interview with my buddy standing behind the owner and when he would ask me a question my buddy would either nod or shake his head and I would say Oui or non... That was it...

Well it turns out that one of the questions was whether I could drive a standard, and of course buddy told me to say Oui, but I didn't have a clue how to drive a clutch...

I wasn't there 5 minutes and I was told I had to drive the owner to go pick up a customers car, and the truck I was to drive him in was a standard...

I just about shit my pants... I kept popping the clutch and doing the herky jerky all over the road. I stalled it like a million times, all the while this big french guy was screaming and yelling in my ear with eyes the size of plates! His face was so friggin' red I thought he was gonna pop!

Anyways, after that he figured out that we bullshitted him the whole time but he gave me a chance and said that if I didn't learn fast I was gone... I learned fast and ended up being his shop manager within 2 years! I was 18 and I was the boss of everyone way older than me... Kinda funny how stuff works out...

Don't know why I gave the long story, but I still have a chuckle to myself everytime someone talks about learning to drive stick and I remember my experience!:eek:

Amnesia
01-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Wow!!
I wish when I start a job i will be promoted that fast...
So the french are the way to go huh? lol!!

tirebob
01-10-2005, 01:59 PM
It was a great place to be that age man! They are nuts out there!

As for getting promoted, that only happened cuz I work my ass off! I have always been one of those, "do more than the next guy if ya want to get ahead" sort of people. I have never had to ask for a raise, I would always work so hard that either they felt guilty about not paying me enough, or someone else would notice and I would get offered a better job somehwere else...

Still works to this day!

Sorry to hi-jack your thread... :burnout:

streetarab
01-10-2005, 05:26 PM
one day i bet my father that if i stole a car and it was a standard, i could at least get away from the cops. he actually let me take his car out and i did all right, stalled every now and again, but am much better now, god i love drivin stick, all of you who own one, love what you got while you got it.

TypeS
01-10-2005, 07:26 PM
while i got it? shit i aint never goin back to that vegatable transmission! LONG LIVE THE 5 SPEED!:clap:

RB25DET
01-10-2005, 08:27 PM
The first standard car i drove was a ferrari....muahahaha....and didnt stall it once actually....although i had tractor experience.

g-mcstud
01-10-2005, 11:06 PM
I remember my first time driving I was 11 and I was up in Invermere, and we were driving our old F-150 across some fields, and every so often we'd come to metal gates we'd need to get out and open, drive through, and then close them, and so my dad would let me drive the automatic truck through them while he opened and closed the gates.

My first time driving a standard I was also 11. My dad had a BMW 328i convertible and we parked at Edgemont school parking lot and went around in circles, going from stop into first gear. I remember the first day we did it for about 20 mins, and I did it every time. But the next day we went back and I couldn't do it at all. I was getting so frustrated and I was jerking the car back and forth. My dad made a little joke saying that if I kept this up he would need a new clutch to get home (all in good humor, but it was the icing on the cake), and I started to cry. I said I never wanted to drive a standard again. My dad forced me to come back the next day and practice some more and I was much improved the next day and since then, I am a standard transmission man through and through.

Looking back now though, I can't believe my dad let me, as an 11 year old, drive a one year old BMW. But I am glad he started me at such and early age, it makes me realize how much my Dad trusts me and believed in me.