PDA

View Full Version : 240sx Start up Problems

project240
01-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Hoping someone can help me out here. Went out today to start the car and it was hard to start, immediately felt like a dead battery... Anyways, after a few seconds and a bit of gas, the car does start... runs fine while I drive for the next half hour or so. I then shut it off and restart about 1 1/2 hours later. Same problem, feels like a dead or weak battery, but starts again. At this point I'm not 100% sure if it's the battery, so I check it and it's good. I drive the car for 15 minutes, shut it off and come back 10 minutes later. Car won't start, all electrical still works, but when you turn the key nothing happens, doesn't crank or anything. I'm thinking it might be the fuel filter?? just changed it last week. Anybody have other suggestions? Had to "borrow" a truck from work to get home. Thanks!

Weapon_R
01-10-2005, 11:41 PM
Definately not the fuel filter. Or the fuel pump.

It's either your alternator or your battery. The cheapest thing to do is to test your battery and alternator.

project240
01-10-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Definately not the fuel filter. Or the fuel pump.

It's either your alternator or your battery. The cheapest thing to do is to test your battery and alternator.

It can't be the battery or the alternator... the car still has power... all lights work fine, cd player plays... I don't think it's either of those....

Anyone else??

markymark
01-11-2005, 12:08 AM
It takes more volts to start your car than it does to run your cd player and lights. Try boosting the car, if it starts up fine, then you know its the battery, and if it starts but doesnt hold a charge its the alternator.

project240
01-11-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by markymark
It takes more volts to start your car than it does to run your cd player and lights. Try boosting the car, if it starts up fine, then you know its the battery, and if it starts but doesnt hold a charge its the alternator.

Tried boosting... doesn't start... it ran fine before, after it started... other suggestions... I really don't think it's the battery or alternator

Lo)2enz0
01-11-2005, 01:54 PM
I had this problem when I first swapped my ca18det into the car. The car would start everyonce in a while but than every odd time the car wouldn't even turn over.

I just replaced the battery and than it was fine.

you could be running to many electronic on a almost dead battery

Aleks
01-11-2005, 02:20 PM
How about your starter? When mine went i had similar problems. I could push start it just fine though (manual car). Try doing that if you're in a bind hehe

nosegrindR
01-11-2005, 06:34 PM
i had the identical problem last winter, i replaced my alternator and the problem went away. good luck

project240
01-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
How about your starter? When mine went i had similar problems. I could push start it just fine though (manual car). Try doing that if you're in bind hehe

Thank you Aleks... I'm going to take off and have the starter checked tomorrow... after thinking for awhile today, that's what I figured it might be. I'm going to be in the shop tomorrow working on it, but more suggestions are always welcome just in case...

Please do not suggest battery or alternator though because it isn't either of those.

Thanks

redblack
01-11-2005, 08:12 PM
probly worn out contacts in the starter
a rebuilt one should be about a hundred bucks

Tripz
01-11-2005, 08:27 PM
^^^
Yeah i had a simlar problem with my car. The battery works fine and everything, it's just that when i turn the key it makes a click sound but doesnt start. The problem with mine is the starter block, it wasnt making enough contact to make a spark. All i did was i found my starter block and i hit it a golf stick a couple of times :D then i tried starting it and it works fine. Give that a try and hopefully it works :thumbsup:

Aleks
01-11-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by project240

Thank you Aleks... I'm going to take off and have the starter checked tomorrow... after thinking for awhile today, that's what I figured it might be. I'm going to be in the shop tomorrow working on it, but more suggestions are always welcome just in case...

Please do not suggest battery or alternator though because it isn't either of those.

Thanks

You're welcome. Just make sure you have some speed before you pop the clutch if you're push starting :thumbsup:

90Tegra
01-11-2005, 09:45 PM
it could be your wiper blades get new ones:dunno: :rofl:

INeedBoost
01-12-2005, 12:09 AM
I had a problem with my starter a while ago. I bought a used one from Autodream for $60 and replaced it. A new one from Nissan cost about $360.
But as others suggested. If you can push start it then it's probably your starter.

INeedBoost
01-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Forget my post. I didn't realize that you were in Saskatchewan.

project240
01-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by 90Tegra
it could be your wiper blades get new ones:dunno: :rofl:

Greatly appreciated...

:thumbsdow

atomic
01-12-2005, 07:00 PM
hit your starter with a 2x2 and a hammer . or have someone push start you in 2nd gear . sometimes the starter lands on a dead point .

project240
01-12-2005, 08:20 PM
I'm hoping it's the starter... I've tried tapping it with a hammer, but that doesn't seem to help. Can anyone tell me, do the belts at the front of the 240 right in front of the radiator fan normally turn when the engine is off? I've tried pulling them and i can't budge them even an inch. This almost makes me think the problem might not be the starter, but something more major.... :banghead:

Thanks for the help so far.

90Tegra
01-12-2005, 08:22 PM
there is a wire that connects to your starter maybe thats loose

*|Need Speed|*
01-21-2005, 03:08 PM
this is a wire problem if all ur electrical works and u dont have power to engine then it has to be ur wires check them or just go to the local mechnanic?...

project240
01-21-2005, 03:45 PM
IT was the starter...

:closed:

Aleks
01-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
How about your starter? When mine went i had similar problems. I could push start it just fine though (manual car). Try doing that if you're in a bind hehe

Glad i could help :D