PDA

View Full Version : Pentium M Processor or P4 for laptop?

Euro838
01-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Can anyone list the advantages/disadvantages of going with a Centrino processor over a P4 processor in a laptop? I.e. If you had a choice of a 1.6 ghz Centrino M Processor or a 3-3.2 ghz P4 processor? Which would you choose and why? Thanks.

soupey
01-10-2005, 11:43 PM
centrino = more battery life, much more efficient, less heat...

p4 = more power for less money, but much less battery life.

lint
01-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Euro838
Can anyone list the advantages/disadvantages of going with a Centrino processor over a P4 processor in a laptop? I.e. If you had a choice of a 1.6 ghz Centrino M Processor or a 3-3.2 ghz P4 processor? Which would you choose and why? Thanks.

If it's a desktop replacement, you might want to go with the P4, but for moblity and battery life, the Centrino is the way to go.

soupey
01-10-2005, 11:46 PM
oh sorry as for what i'd choose, probably the centrino just cuz it offers almost double the battery life over the p4...when it comes to portability, i'd rather buy a centrino to use it on the go and not have to use it like a desktop...always plugged in...

Foreign1
01-11-2005, 12:34 AM
i just bought a laptop.. and i went centrino dude... battery life is wayyyyyy longer. Just imagine being on an airplane.. and not even being able to finish 1 whole dvd!battery on my laptop is 5.5 hours, p4 would be like 2.

Khyron
01-11-2005, 01:11 AM
And they typically weigh almost double. But if you want it to be a gaming rig, the p4 (and better vid card usually) is worth it.

Khyron

Euro838
01-11-2005, 01:13 AM
What about for mainly business use/application? i.e. office processing, some graphics, video editing, etc.

RickDaTuner
01-11-2005, 01:19 AM
i have a 3.4 P4 HT laptop and well as much i as I enjoy the performance, i cant say i enjoy the 1 hour battery life.... like everyone her has said it all depends on your usage, if you are looking for a notebook for school then get the centrino proc or if you are looking for a portable gaming rig, or a desktop replacement go for the P4

soupey
01-11-2005, 01:20 AM
the performance between the two wont be too noticeable if your using it for office....video editing ur gona want more ram, but centrino vs p4 wont relli make a huge deal on that one...gaming...yea i guess p4 will b stronger on that end...but only go p4 if ur willing to sacrifice the battery life...

Shoebox//Racer
01-11-2005, 03:19 AM
well i do alot of graphic heavy stuff for school... and ill tell you. it aint fun luggin a 9 lbs laptop around.

If you are gonna be carrying it with you everywhere but still want decent video editing and graphic power you should look at a 2.0 ghz centrino with an ATI Mobility 9700 Graphics card... be sure to look for the 128 mb version of the graphics card instead of the 64 mb one =p

heres an example of a pretty solid rig... only thing its lacking is another 512 mb of ram.

http://www.acer.ca/acerpanam/page4.do?dau22.oid=6714&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=27&ctx1=CA&crc=3500003994

GucciBoy
01-11-2005, 10:49 AM
What about for mainly business use/application? i.e. office processing, some graphics, video editing, etc.

i have a 1.5 centrino and it runs better than my P4 3.2 at home. Just as good for games, believe or not. And it only has 64MB video, but it is dedicated, no onboard crap.

Also way thinner, looks better, smarter and boots photoshop in 3secs tops, its fast!!!

a 1.5 centrino would run same speed easily as a P4 2.8-3.0. i have 1gig ram in mine with 2mb L2 cache, it makes all the difference.

rage2
01-11-2005, 11:37 AM
I have a Tecra S1 centrino, and it's beefy enough for most games. That and it's battery life!

I played MAME on a 6 hour flight.

GucciBoy
01-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I have a Tecra S1 centrino, and it's beefy enough for most games. That and it's battery life!

I played MAME on a 6 hour flight.

how do you get ure batteries to lastr that long? with LCD brightness way down? i get 3hours on mine with lcd at brightest - which i prefer, cant stand a dim screen.

rage2
01-11-2005, 11:47 AM
I have a custom mode that shuts everything off. Dim screen, make sure no CD in the CD drive, all network devices off, hardware wireless switch off. Oh, that and I have the upgraded (heavier) battery.

It also powered my 2 USB gamepads ;).

Chiggles
01-12-2005, 03:28 AM

Based on your demand for the machine, I'd say either system would work out for you just fine. It's a question then, to consider whether you want to have the smaller, thinner profile that a Centrino unit tends to yield combined with the added luxury of longer battery life vs. cost. Centrino units tend to be pricier than most P4 machines since it's considered a relatively "newer" type of processing tech than the P4, but for all practical reasons, the P4 will do everything you seem to want to do with a laptop for a cheaper price.

I would say that if you're sure you won't be using the laptop for any heavy gaming purposes and that your demand will pretty much be limited to the applications you already listed, and it's within your budget, then the Centrino will probably be the right choice for you. The only thing you sacrifice in going with a P4 is that you would be going to a bulkier unit with a shorter battery life on a full charge, but of course, it would be more economical on the other hand.