PDA

View Full Version : New City Tickets are being issued

lsc2g
01-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Well I'm gonna say about fuckin time this got done especially for the conditions.

Tailgaiting 170 bucks and 4 points!!!

People are just so friggin dumb in this city. Sure you 4x4 can get traction in the snow but can it stop on black ice faster than me? Hell no! :guns:

I almost got killed on 16th yesterday from a moron tailing me. He ended up going into oncoming traffic not to hit me!

I'm glad i rock a winter beater thats for sure

3g4me
01-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Calgary peeps need this law, mostley the 4x4's who think they are indestructable.

futurecivic
01-11-2005, 12:46 PM
well about time we need this in calgary. 4x4 drivers your not invinsible and you need to learn how to drive

bspot
01-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Finally!!

The retard SUV infront of me this morning was tailgating, and when he had to hit his brakes he spun sideways, making me panic brake to avoid t-boning him. I left enough space to stop, but I was lucky there was no one beside me because I slid into the other lane a bit.

sml
01-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Finally!!

The retard SUV infront of me this morning was tailgating, and when he had to hit his brakes he spun sideways, making me panic brake to avoid t-boning him. I left enough space to stop, but I was lucky there was no one beside me because I slid into the other lane a bit.

if you have to panic brake, you're following too close, so I wouldn't bad mouth the suv driver in front of you when you're doing the exact same thing. btw, I think there's a HUGE generalization on suv drivers as tailgaters. I disagree with that. My generalization is that cavaliers and sunfire drivers tailgate more than suv driver!:banghead:

GoChris
01-11-2005, 01:15 PM
GOOD!
we need those tickets real bad here in calgary, about time. fucking mini vans and suvs on my ass. i like to give em a taste of hard braking to keep in em line.

A_3
01-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by lsc2g
Well I'm gonna say about fuckin time this got done especially for the conditions.

People are just so friggin dumb in this city. Sure you 4x4 can get traction in the snow but can it stop on black ice faster than me? Hell no! :guns:

I almost got killed on 16th yesterday from a moron tailing me. He ended up going into oncoming traffic not to hit me!

That's a good call by the city for sure. Even if i'm going the speed limit in conditions like these I still get tailgated by SUV's. 16th is horrible right now, I went through two big accidents on the way home from the university today.

bspot
01-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by sml

if you have to panic brake, you're following too close, so I wouldn't bad mouth the suv driver in front of you when you're doing the exact same thing. btw, I think there's a HUGE generalization on suv drivers as tailgaters. I disagree with that. My generalization is that cavaliers and sunfire drivers tailgate more than suv driver!:banghead:

So i'm going about 20-30 km/h, I have about 5 car lengths between me and the vehicle infront of me, he stops pretty much dead because he spins sideways into a snow bank, I hit my brakes and the ABS kicks right away, so I put the brake pedal to the floor. I stop about a car length short of the SUV.

Go ahead, tell me what I did wrong :rolleyes:

Ben
01-11-2005, 01:39 PM
I get sick and fucking tired of these assholes in the great big trucks who think they can do as they please. We've had horrid weather, I can floor my car and spin tired in 5th gear on deerfoot, it's slippery, and some asshole will blow past you and then cut right in front of you, blowing snow and rocks all over your windshield, and fill that space you were leaving for safe driving, it's so retarded.

You dont leave enough room, you're "tailgating" You leave the proper amount, someone guaranteed will fill it. You leave a comfortable abount of room, someones 2 feet off your bumper.

I'm so happy to hear about this crack down, AND the fact it's 4 demerits instead of 2.

Akagi Redsuns
01-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Cool, another way for the city to make some money.

Having this as a new ticket is not going to stop any of these idiots from tailgating and driving unsafely. People still can't understand that a no left turn sign means, no left turn, let alone merging, yeilding, proper signalling, keeping in your lane when turning.....etc.

It will come in handy to give the tickets out when an accident has occured I guess, but I can't see it being readily enforced to reduce this behaviour on the roads.

draggin_frame
01-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Why all the hatred towards SUV's? Is it bacause you can actually see them in your rear view mirror as opposed to a civic or tercel?

I think the city needs to write tickets for the fools driving with their summer wheels on.
Go buy some steelies and some Blizacks and change ALL 4, not just the front.

My $.02

*** draggin_frame puts on flame suite

bspot
01-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by draggin_frame
Why all the hatred towards SUV's?

Its because of something we call "Four Wheel Drive Syndrome"

When someone goes at unsafe speeds for the conditions and gets mad when others don't do the same due to their false sense of security.

gorillam
01-11-2005, 03:08 PM
I dont think a lot of you realise that 4wd is a seperate trasfercase shifter which means your vehicle is in 2wd until you put it into 4wd. And who's to say the people driving the 4wd's will drive differently then in a 2wd vehicle.

4wd is an OPTION. You put it on when you need it.

All this suv bashing is a bunch of bs, I drive identically in a car as a truck, and I speak for all the guys I know that drive pickups/suv's etc.

I think the retards that only put summer tires on the front are even more retarded then the people on here that complain about awd drivers not "realising" so you all claim that it doesnt help you stop. Ive seen more fwd cars with winters only on the front then suv's with summer tires.

gorillam
01-11-2005, 03:12 PM
As for guys with winter "beaters"

Why do you drive a beater that has a lower safety rating then your regular car, handles worse, worse breaks, more chance of breakdown.??????

To protect your summer ride from scratches, hardly seems worth it unless your car isnt winter capable.

But a friend of mine drives an open diff 1990 240sx all year round. She doesnt use that as an excuse to buy a beater why do you guys?

There's two sides to every situation.

What do you have against 4x4's?

EnRich
01-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by lsc2g

I know eh... Wtf, it make me feel soooo uncomfortable when I see an SUV or a 4x4 Truck tailgating me, esp in residential... And then they have the nerve to even point the figure at me... I swear next guy that does that I'm gonna fucking lose it if I catch him at the lights

Originally posted by Ben
I get sick and fucking tired of these assholes in the great big trucks who think they can do as they please. We've had horrid weather, I can floor my car and spin tired in 5th gear on deerfoot, it's slippery, and some asshole will blow past you and then cut right in front of you, blowing snow and rocks all over your windshield, and fill that space you were leaving for safe driving, it's so retarded.

You dont leave enough room, you're "tailgating" You leave the proper amount, someone guaranteed will fill it. You leave a comfortable abount of room, someones 2 feet off your bumper.

I'm so happy to hear about this crack down, AND the fact it's 4 demerits instead of 2.

Word...

snipa_mini85
01-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by 3g4me
mostley the 4x4's who think they are indestructable.

Originally posted by futurecivic
4x4 drivers your not invinsible and you need to learn how to drive

Finally!!

The retard SUV infront of me...

Originally posted by A_3

...I still get tailgated by SUV's. 16th is horrible right now...

Originally posted by Ben
I get sick and fucking tired of these assholes in the great big trucks who think they can do as they please....

My question to any of you is quite simply this.
Have you ever tried to drive a rear wheel drive truck in the winter?

Because it's not fun, you can't hit the gas hard because you will spin out EVERY time, it'll take you 'bout 10 mins just to speed up past 20 km cause there is absolutely no traction, and you can see the ppl behind you getting upset just because they're in SUCH a hurry. And to top it off a few ppl in small fwd cars have the decency (sp?) to change into your lane at a stop light just because THEY think that you're leaving them room to get to the light first. When in reality it TAKES that long to stop.

I try my best not to tailgate in my truck but it gets EXTREMELY hard in calgary to do so with all of these ppl out there who think that they don't need to slow down just because theres a little bit of snow on the ground.

[/rant]

bspot
01-11-2005, 04:34 PM
^ If you are going slower than the flow of traffic you aren't tailgating. :dunno:

No one in here has a problem with cautious drivers, infact they are prefered.

:english:

digitalshogun
01-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by snipa_mini85

My question to any of you is quite simply this.
Have you ever tried to drive a rear wheel drive truck in the winter?

Because it's not fun, you can't hit the gas hard because you will spin out EVERY time, it'll take you 'bout 10 mins just to speed up past 20 km cause there is absolutely no traction, and you can see the ppl behind you getting upset just because they're in SUCH a hurry. And to top it off a few ppl in small fwd cars have the decency (sp?) to change into your lane at a stop light just because THEY think that you're leaving them room to get to the light first. When in reality it TAKES that long to stop.

I try my best not to tailgate in my truck but it gets EXTREMELY hard in calgary to do so with all of these ppl out there who think that they don't need to slow down just because theres a little bit of snow on the ground.

[/rant]

Very true. Driving rearwheel drive is fun enough ... rear wheel drive truck with nothing in the back just makes it that much more fun! I have seen tons of trucks and SUVS spinning out because of the road conditions recently. It is more likely due to accelerating than braking by the way. I rarely put 4x4 on in the city except for at lights with an obvious amount of snow and ice (just so I don't piss off the people behind me) and when you touch the gas to hard your tail end starts to slide out. People not used to driving a truck may keep their foot on the gas and start a spin.

Suggestion ... sand bags. Trucks were designed to haul shit ... so put some shit or sand (your pref) back there.

Wow after reading all the points that have been made so far I feel like I should throw in my own .02

Oh yeah ... "Black Ice" is utter bullshit. Complete bullshit. Is there ice that is black ... yes. Is it invisible untill you start to slide ... no that's stupidity. Go out and look at dry pavement. Now go and look at "black ice". Do they look the same? No they don't. If you don't err on the side of caution that's your fault not mother natures.

SUVS and us truck drivers are not any worse than you import car guys ... there are assholes in both camps. I can tell you there has been far more coupes and hatchbacks passing me on crowchild than trucks and suvs.

If you are "tailgating" to prevent people from changing lanes ... you are an asshole. You are also in the wrong. As with merging, a person changing lanes and you have equal right to that space. A turning signal is not a request to change lanes ... it is an announcement. In this weather god help you if you speed up to prevent somebody from changing lanes as well.

All that being said. Tailgating in general is pretty stupid. I know I have been guilty of it a few times and you try and justify it away but it is just plain wrong and unsafe. I'm glad that the police are going to start laying out heavier fines for it. I think that as long as you are driving courteously (leting people in when they need to and staying the hell out of the far left lane) and somewhat defensively (not tailgating or speeding excessively) we can all get through winter relatively unscathed.

sexualbanana
01-11-2005, 05:57 PM
I thought tailgating was already illegal

B17a
01-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Yup, it's called following too closely and its very subjective.

Akagi Redsuns
01-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by digitalshogun
snip.............

If you are "tailgating" to prevent people from changing lanes ... you are an asshole. You are also in the wrong. As with merging, a person changing lanes and you have equal right to that space. A turning signal is not a request to change lanes ... it is an announcement. In this weather god help you if you speed up to prevent somebody from changing lanes as well...........snip

A turning signal is basically a request to change lanes and must be done when it's determined that it's safe to do so. There is no equal right to that space, that is merging. I do know 1st hand about this as I had someone slam into my car executing a "lane change" while signaling but didn't bother to check if it was clear. That driver was 100% at fault and recieved 2 tickets. I on the other hand got a car that I can barely drive and a cheque in the amount that his insurance company thought my car was worth. Whoopee.

The only time I am not courteous and not let people in is when it's obivious they are trying to beat the system and get in front of a whole bunch of cars in a hurry. Like today one car jumping out of a lane to go to a "right turn only" lane...fly to the front and slap on the signal to get over. No way that car is getting in front of me. Driver was irrate but too damn bad....learn to take your turn like everyone else. Not that tough. There is a difference between being genuinely in the wrong lane and being in the wrong lane to take full advantage of it.

Everyday I seem to see more and more people that think they are more important than anyone and that everyone else must give way to them. What's up with that? Share the road, take your turn and lets get home in one piece.

3G
01-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Going down 32nd Ave today, some goof in a Jimmy was trying to cut off a newer F150. He ended up spinning out, he barely missed clipping the truck and then landed in the ditch on the side!

three33
01-11-2005, 08:03 PM
it is true that most people in 4x4 trucks or suvs think they are invincible....not all truck or suv drivers are bad but i would say about 80% of them...as the son of a trucker all i hear is bad storys about trucks and suvs...they are mostly going way too fast and they end up in the ditch 90% more time than a car....i have had many instances where trucks and suvs tailgate me but as to that i think all drivers are bad not just trucks and suvs...but the same goes for the summer where most sports cars or wanna be sports cars(ie civics) drive too fast and they get in the accedent.....all in all calgary is one of the worst places to drive.....

PGTze
01-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Ben

:werd:

tailgaters scare the shit outta me, especially in winter:guns:

JAYMEZ
01-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Umm since when is it just SUVs tailgatein , i get morons in POS cars tailgatting me all the time , bout time this ticket crap came in effect.

tsi_neal
01-11-2005, 09:27 PM
^ If you are going slower than the flow of traffic you aren't tailgating. :dunno:

No one in here has a problem with cautious drivers, infact they are prefered.

:english:

well i dont ever have a problem with cautious drivers, but then there are the over cautious ones who are usually scared of the roads... you know the ones that drive 30 when its more than safe to be driving 50 (unless your on summer tires, but in that case get the fuck off the roads). These over cautious drivers are the second biggest hazard on the road next to the people (regardless of what they drive) that feel they can go as fast as they want despite the conditions.

Secondly today i got tailgated for about a km by some clown in a nissan 240 (for all of you that arent sure thats a sports car not an suv and he was indeed tailgaiting), then when the next lane opened up he swerved into that lane and jumped ahead of me by 3 whole cars and then back into my lane. proff right there that assholes drive all kinds of cars be it suv's or sport compact's.

Dont get me wrong either, i hate SUV's but not for the drivers for the fact that i cant see around them, but the same goes for minivans trucks etc. Those vehicles are simply just excess for 75% of their owners. But its a free country and i choose smaller vehicles and I cant blame them for buying bigger vehicles.

digitalshogun
01-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

A turning signal is basically a request to change lanes and must be done when it's determined that it's safe to do so. There is no equal right to that space, that is merging. I do know 1st hand about this as I had someone slam into my car executing a "lane change" while signaling but didn't bother to check if it was clear. That driver was 100% at fault and recieved 2 tickets. I on the other hand got a car that I can barely drive and a cheque in the amount that his insurance company thought my car was worth. Whoopee.

The only time I am not courteous and not let people in is when it's obivious they are trying to beat the system and get in front of a whole bunch of cars in a hurry. Like today one car jumping out of a lane to go to a "right turn only" lane...fly to the front and slap on the signal to get over. No way that car is getting in front of me. Driver was irrate but too damn bad....learn to take your turn like everyone else. Not that tough. There is a difference between being genuinely in the wrong lane and being in the wrong lane to take full advantage of it.

Everyday I seem to see more and more people that think they are more important than anyone and that everyone else must give way to them. What's up with that? Share the road, take your turn and lets get home in one piece.

I agree that changing lanes without checking if it is clear is an offense and your accident sounds like it sucked. I'll have to check the books again but ... If a car simply puts on a turn signal and starts changing lanes without looking and hits the side of a car ... the car making the change is at fault. However, if the rear turn signals of the car making the change are both clearly visible, the car changing lanes is ahead. When that car changes lanes it is the car in the original lane that would be at fault if he were to strike the rear of the car that was changing lanes.

A good rule of thumb though would be that (unless in a playground zone or other low speed situations) a car should be able to change lanes in the space between you and the vehicle ahead of you. Otherwise you ARE tailgating. It's safer to keep that distance and contradictory to popular Albertan beliefs, it increases the flow of traffic.

?????
01-11-2005, 11:04 PM
I thought they have always given tickets for tailgating?

Anyways over cautious drivers are major hazards too. Following too far and emergency braking when not needed because they are scared of the roads. Scared the crap out of me when the guy in front of me stopped hard when the car in front of him slowed down even when he was following the slowing car by 10 car lenghts. Thats what pisses me off. You don't except people to do that. Its like their to concentrated to the roads in front of them they don't see cars behind them to care about them.

DayGlow
01-11-2005, 11:13 PM
It's the current focus of the traffic division. Sort of like a theme night :) They've done playground zone blitzs, the crosswalk/jaywalker blitz, etc.

88CRX
01-11-2005, 11:35 PM
I've found lately that not only the SUV drivers (they seem worse this year) but also the soccer moms in there god dam mini vans :thumbsdow

Tailgating me like no bodies buisnass :thumbsdow i tap the brake so they see that there following too close and what do they do.... tailgate worse.... wtf!!!!!!1 fricking pisses me off, cause i know one day i'm gonna get smaked from behind and the dumbass will jump out of the car and say "jeeze.... wasnt my fault the roads are icy :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:

FUCK!!!!!!! ASS!!!!!!!!!1

btw - tap the brake is not smash... tap to make the lights come on.

?????
01-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by DayGlow
It's the current focus of the traffic division. Sort of like a theme night :) They've done playground zone blitzs, the crosswalk/jaywalker blitz, etc.

Yeah its called the STEP program their just cracking down on it. You guys made it sound like a new law not to tailgate.

FiveFreshFish
01-12-2005, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Originally posted by B17a
Yup, it's called following too closely and its very subjective.

Originally posted by ?????
Yeah its called the STEP program their just cracking down on it. You guys made it sound like a new law not to tailgate.

Yup, it's the old Alberta Highway Traffic Act's Following Too Closely infraction with a fine of $172 and 4 demerits.

I think the media called it tailgating and now people think it's a new offense. This isn't a new law passed by the City because they don't control the HTA. As mentioned above, it's the STEP program.

I think the fine should be greater than $172. Compare that with failing to yield to a pedestrian at $575 (4 demerits), and a stop sign or red light violation at $287 (3 demerits).

B17a
01-12-2005, 08:31 AM
I actually enjoy tailgatters in this weather. Yes yes, I'm a big asshole for this, but when a guy is tailing me in these conditions (I mean the real close ones where all I can see is headlights if its a truck and where I can't even see headlights if its a car when I look in my rearview), I give'er the old dipping the tire into the shoulder to kick up some gravel, usually gets people to back off really quick! It's a dirty move but not undeserved!:thumbsup:

cloud7
01-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by B17a
I actually enjoy tailgatters in this weather. Yes yes, I'm a big asshole for this, but when a guy is tailing me in these conditions (I mean the real close ones where all I can see is headlights if its a truck and where I can't even see headlights if its a car when I look in my rearview), I give'er the old dipping the tire into the shoulder to kick up some gravel, usually gets people to back off really quick! It's a dirty move but not undeserved!:thumbsup:

the really dangerous tailgaters are those that won't back off no matter what you do... a lot of truck/SUV/Mini-Van drivers don't care about rock chips.

LudeRoca
01-12-2005, 11:28 AM
LOL.. i am one of those suv drivers that thinks im invincible. but i dont tail gate. i know that its not gonna stop in time especially if your tail gaiting. its awsome that you can take off like there aint no snow.:burnout:

xkon
01-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
...The only time I am not courteous and not let people in is when it's obivious they are trying to beat the system and get in front of a whole bunch of cars in a hurry....

...Everyday I seem to see more and more people that think they are more important than anyone and that everyone else must give way to them. What's up with that? Share the road, take your turn and lets get home in one piece....

:werd: i HATE that... on my way to work EVERYBODY seems to be doing that and I sit through the lights not moving. fuck that, wait your turn, i waited mine.

gorillam
01-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by LudeRoca
LOL.. i am one of those suv drivers that thinks im invincible. but i dont tail gate. i know that its not gonna stop in time especially if your tail gaiting. its awsome that you can take off like there aint no snow.:burnout:
I dont get it, were you making fun of people that think they are invincible??

:dunno:

gorillam
01-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by three33
it is true that most people in 4x4 trucks or suvs think they are invincible....not all truck or suv drivers are bad but i would say about 80% of them...as the son of a trucker all i hear is bad storys about trucks and suvs...they are mostly going way too fast and they end up in the ditch 90% more time than a car....i have had many instances where trucks and suvs tailgate me but as to that i think all drivers are bad not just trucks and suvs...but the same goes for the summer where most sports cars or wanna be sports cars(ie civics) drive too fast and they get in the accedent.....all in all calgary is one of the worst places to drive.....

I'm sure you "KNOW" that they think they are invincible, you base this on what????

Because some of them drive too fast for the conditions doesnt mean you can mind read them and think they are invincible.

Speak english!:english:

Maybe that's just how some of them drive? And they just dont care about speeding, doesnt mean they dont fear crashing!!!

Tell me who doesnt fear crashing, other then pro racers on the track???

So why do you say they are invincible, find me 1 suv/4x4 driver that will tell me they feel they are invincible when speeding in the winter...

SilverBoost
01-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by digitalshogun

When that car changes lanes it is the car in the original lane that would be at fault if he were to strike the rear of the car that was changing lanes.

Actaully thats a scenario that could be argued. Some people do this to committ insurance fraud. They get in front of you and then slam on the brakes.

If you are approaching a green light and some guy cuts in front of you then it goes red and he slams on the brakes not giving you ample time to stop, then that is something that could be argued as not being your fault.

Anyhow a little off topic, but anyway I was doing about 20kph on 16th last night and you could see it was liek glass. Approaching a light I just tapped the brakes and it locked up. I had ot keep tapping and geared down. Plenty of time to stop because I was expecting that. BUt while sitting at the light all I could do was look in the rear view at the ice rink behind me hoping that it would go green before some idiot crashed into me.

fast95pony
01-15-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by SilverBoost

Approaching a light I just tapped the brakes and it locked up. I had ot keep tapping and geared down.

No ABS ??? Or just disabled ?? :dunno: