PDA

View Full Version : windows freezing on startup

lam-boy
01-11-2005, 06:00 PM
windows pisses me off. anyways..

starts up fine, then on the loading screen (winxp Pro)
it'll load up then the bar will just freeze and stop moving.
I hit the restart button
then I get 5 choices

safe mode
safe mode with something
safe mode with something

last known configuration that worked

start windows normally

I can get in safe mode, but whenever Ichoose last known config./start windows normally it will freeze on the load up screen.

Idon't use my computer to download things anymore. I just use it to play games now. and I can't even do that anymore because the thing won't turn on properly..

whats my problem??!:banghead:

EmJay
01-11-2005, 09:20 PM
i dont know what your problem is specifically but i did a search in google and it came up with this:

http://forums.techguy.org/archive/index.php/t-156295.html
http://www.anetforums.com/posts.aspx?ThreadIndex=31824
http://www.howtodothings.com/showarticle.asp?article=662

just do a search on google or whatever search engine you use and read up on what people have to say it seams like you arent the only one with this specific problem

good luck with the search

emjay

xDiMSuMx
01-11-2005, 10:33 PM
My computer did that when it was overheating and when i was playing with the bios settings

try cleaning up the inside of it and check bios

crazydriver
01-12-2005, 12:36 AM
My comp did that when i forced it to install some windows 98 drivers, after going into safe mode and uninstalling, all was fine again.
did u make any changes to the BIOS, installed/changed any driver or put in new hardware?? if so, try reversing ur actions and see if that works

Chiggles
01-12-2005, 03:42 AM
I run into a problem like that every now and then because of a bad bootscreen file that loads during the initialization. On my system, I rotate how my boot screens and login screens look so that I don't keep seeing the same boring XP logo and plain blue login screen all the time. Every now and then though, there's a bootscreen that's not compatible with the current service pack that's running. Whenever I run into this problem, the machine boots, loads up the bootscreen where the progress bar is, freezes for a few seconds, then restarts itself. The only way I can correct this problem when I have it is to boot up in safe mode, and replace a file in my Windows directory with a proper working bootscreen file. The file that sounds like it's affected is called ntoskrnl.exe which is usually in the windows/system32 directory. It sounds like your kernel has been corrupted. In theory you could probably just replace it with a custom one that works or get a clean original, but I'm not sure where you would get the latter without restoring your machine since you don't have a backup copy of it somewhere. Sorry dude, good luck though.

elimit
01-13-2005, 08:01 PM
boot to bios
set defaults
reboote

doesne work

disconnect peripherals, boot

doesnt work

format

sabad66
01-13-2005, 11:16 PM
With my old Windows ME machine, it would do the same just because there was a shit load of spyware. It's worth a shot to do a scan. Boot into safe mode with networking support, download Lavasoft Ad-Aware, and do a scan and delete all the spyware files if there are any.

hampstor
01-13-2005, 11:18 PM
try going into safe mode and then open up the registry.

go to: hkey local machine -> software -> microsoft -> windows -> current version -> run.

I'm not sure how well you know windows, but delete any line that you know is not critical.

For the most part, you'll mostly see any antivirus software, video card utilities (ie: nwiz, atiapp - or something like that), keyboard/mouse apps, MSN/ICQ, etc.

If you're not sure and have another computer near by, go to google and search the program there (ie: google nwiz.exe). Generally, the first link will be for liuitilies.com. Click that link and it'll tell you what it is.

Almost every application you'll run into is listed there. It'll actually say if it's a security risk (ie: virus/spyware/trojan).