PDA

View Full Version : alternator

redblack
01-11-2005, 09:47 PM
hey guy
i got a 91 corolla and im pretty sure the alternator has crapped out
i called canadian tire and they wanted 200 bucks.
so my question is are alternators from like pick your part any good or should i just fork out the money for a brand new one

any other cheap alternator shops out there?

any help would be appreciated
thanks

Iceman_19
01-11-2005, 10:35 PM
well, i dont know about there, but i got an alternator rebuilt for 80 bucks...........bearings, other stuff, etc. took a day.

redblack
01-11-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Iceman_19
well, i dont know about there, but i got an alternator rebuilt for 80 bucks...........bearings, other stuff, etc. took a day.

where was this at?

kevie88
01-11-2005, 10:50 PM
I'm interested in this too, I need to rebuild my rb20det one.

Iceman_19
01-12-2005, 12:12 AM
like i said, i dont know where in calgary would do it, im in bc.

Team_Mclaren
01-12-2005, 12:45 AM
There are tons of places in calgary that will rebuild alternators, when my alternator was shot i just dig out the yellowpage and called around...
some places give you discount when you buy a rebuilt one and exchange them with your old one as well.

GTS Jeff
01-12-2005, 12:46 AM
type alternator into the yellow pages and u can find alternator and starter shops thatll do a rebuild for u. rebuilds arent necessarily the best tho cuz they sometimes just snip the corroded ends off the brushes instead of replacing them.

id get a completely brand new one if i were u. that way itll last another 15 years instead of 15 months.

Ekbusta
01-12-2005, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
snip the corroded ends off the brushes instead of replacing them.

The carbon bruses dont get 'corroded ends' they are spring loaded and wear down over time, any rebuild kit for an alternator will include the brushes hands down, a rebuild place would be stupid not replace them. Most of the time, a alternator is brought in to be 'fixed' so perhaps these would not be replaced, although I think it would be impossible to 'snip' the brushes ;)

gtkane
01-12-2005, 06:29 AM
Definately buy a new one. Purchasing a used part could mean buying someone elses problem.
You already have a "used" alt,and look where that has got you.

puddlebiker
01-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by redblack
hey guy
i got a 91 corolla and im pretty sure the alternator has crapped out
i called canadian tire and they wanted 200 bucks.
so my question is are alternators from like pick your part any good or should i just fork out the money for a brand new one

any other cheap alternator shops out there?

any help would be appreciated
thanks

Originally posted by gtkane
Definately buy a new one. Purchasing a used part could mean buying someone elses problem.
You already have a "used" alt,and look where that has got you.

I learned a cool new thing at work today. I work for NAPA Autoparts, and there's a place out there called Altrom, that deals with Import parts. I order from them a lot. The thing I learned is that they have a line of Alternators that are new, and supposed to be really good, as well as the fact that they are a great price. There's access to Altrom parts in Calgary, and Altroms application website is here: "www.altrom.com" From there you will find out the price. After that just call up the local NAPA store and they can tell you the availability. Keep in mind though, that I have never sold one of these Alternators yet, and therefor Can't really confirm the rumour of them being a good quality.

Rayme
01-19-2005, 06:37 PM
LISTEN

Toyota / Nippodenso alternators are among the best out there don't go buy a shitty BOSCH or whatever name there is out there. Alot of people buying cheap aftermarket alternators for their toyotas just end up blowing it of a week later.

Get it rebuilt, it's not only the brushes that wears off, the diodes might have melted like what happened in mine. Find a good rebuilder than can change them too. I got mine rebuilt at a local shop for under 100$, he even sandblasted the housing, looked like new and worked for over a year now! charging a full 14.* volts.