PDA

View Full Version : Subway at U of C

Pages : [1] 2

Zero102
01-12-2005, 02:20 PM
I don't know if this belongs here or not, but I just have to rant about this.
I have been going to this subway probably once or twice a week for the past 2 years (while school is in). I would say I have been a rather loyal customer, and have spent at the least, several hundreds of dollars there, however they have finally gone too far, and I have ceased being a customer of theirs.

I have 3 principal complaints about the resteraunt:
1) None of the employee's wear hair nets. They are required by law to do so, however they do not. Not a huge issue, since hairs don't really bother me, but I have seen other people get sick after finding a hair in their food.

2) Their sign stating that they are hiring NON-CANADIAN students ONLY. What, too good for us native canadians? Notice that the guy running the subway is white, and has no accent, yet him and his wife continue to work there. Before this policy, I had no issues at all with this resteraunt, yet every single time I have gone there since, they have gotten my sandwich wrong. This is simply because none of their employee's even have a half-decent command of the english language. Sorry, but we speak engish in this country, and these people are in the business of serving canadians, I don't think it's too much to ask for them to at least speak english well.
This is blatant discrimination.

3) The final straw, this has been in 2 stages. First, they refused to accept any sub cards that did not display at least one of their stamps. According to subway head office, they cannot do this, and yet they continue to. On one occasion, I handed in 2 cards, one was completely their stamps, and the other was all stamps from the subway near my house. He refused to accept one, so took both of my cards back and walked away. Now, they have implemented a '1 card only' rule. Meaning you can no longer use 2 cards to get a free foot long sub, you can only use 1 card for a 6 inch sub. So, you have to buy 2 medium drinks, and make 2 orders to get a free foot long.

This policy ONLY rewards infrequent customers, who do not collect stamps. This is just outright cheap. How greedy can the owner be?!?!

I am placing another call to subway head office shortly, and I plan to speak with the manager later tonight regarding this. 9 times I have submitted online complaints about this resteraunt on the subway web page, and yet not a single response. However, on one occasion I left a good review of a resteraunt on their web page, and I got emails from 4 different people at subway thanking me for it......

I have 9 full sub cards, 7 of them from this location. And I can not use them to get what I want. How fair is that?...

Unless all 3 of these situations are remedied, I refuse to return to this subway again, and I urge all of you to consider the same.
I refuse to help fund a resteraunt that is discriminatory, stingy and just plain dirty.

I apologize for the rant, but I had to say something about this.

finboy
01-12-2005, 02:27 PM
the mrc location is pretty good to me :dunno:

Zero102
01-12-2005, 02:32 PM
This complaint is only about the U of C location. I have had rather good experiences at other locations.

For anybody interested, the owner of subway also owns the juice place in the basement of Mac Hall (the name is eluding me).

awd
01-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by finboy

Agreed. Although, I think they have the same policy in regards to hiring -- non-canadians only.

Does anyone know why this is?

Zero102
01-12-2005, 02:38 PM
I bet they're arguing that there are enough employment opportunities at other resteraunts/fast food places for canadians, but whether that is true or not, it is descrimination.

Perhaps the same guy owns them both? (A bit of a reach)

QuasarCav
01-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Non-canadians only?

How long would that policy last if it was reversed? I'm british, does that mean I can work there?

This kind of shit really bugs me.

t-im
01-12-2005, 02:42 PM
complain to head office and tell them to do something - you can get that subway in serious "subway" shit

for example, by company policy, they are suppose to give you more vegetables and sauce if you ask for it, withour charging you - they can only charge you for extra meat and cheese...and if they won't, you can complain and they'll get some sort of warning...something of that

sputnik
01-12-2005, 02:49 PM
I dont think hair nets are required by law.

idriveabox
01-12-2005, 03:07 PM

wow, I would have to disagree on that one! I have the exact same problem at MRC. They didnt take my full cards, because I didnt tell them before ordering. The only reason they do that, is so they can cheap out on the free sub.

MRC is brutal, and they're rude as hell

:thumbsdow

Zero102
01-12-2005, 03:15 PM
The policy wouldn't last 10 minutes if it was canadian's only. They shouldn't be allow to hire in such a discriminatory method.

I will give subway head office a call tonight.

I have asked for extra vegitables sometimes, and usually the manager is standing nearby, and after I leave, I've seen him yell at people for doing it. One time he flipped out on a guy in front of me....
Old Guy: 'What are you putting so many green peppers on for?!?! You can't just go put that many on!!'
Sandwich man: '...'
Old Guy: 'Don't ever let me catch you doing that again!'
Me: 'You know, I DID ask for them'
Old Guy: 'Oh...." *walks away*

He rules like a freakin tyrant there.
I'm sure he only hires immigrants so he can pay them less, I just can't prove it.

awd
01-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by idriveabox

wow, I would have to disagree on that one! I have the exact same problem at MRC. They didnt take my full cards, because I didnt tell them before ordering. The only reason they do that, is so they can cheap out on the free sub.

I have never had that problem -- and I have never found any of them rude. I wouldn't label a "language-barrier" as being rude.

ninjak84
01-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
2) Their sign stating that they are hiring NON-CANADIAN students ONLY.

I've been there a couple times only, but I'm never going back after reading this.

I don't support racism.

sexualbanana
01-12-2005, 03:27 PM
He rules like a freakin tyrant there.
I'm sure he only hires immigrants so he can pay them less, I just can't prove it.

I don't think being non-Canadian is in anyway a required skill/asset for the job. If you're really bent out of shape on this, you can apply yourself, and if they turn you down, ask him why, or complain to some higher level. Even talk to a lawyer.

I was never really a fan of that Subway. The lineup is always GIGANTIC.

Zero102
01-12-2005, 03:31 PM
I find if you stop by at quarter to 12, it's right between a couple surges of people, you can usually get your food in about 5-10 minutes, istead of upwards of 20 minutes.

I did apply once, and never heard back. I applied the day before they put the sign up, so I am probably more offended than most by this.

FiveFreshFish
01-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Some Subway places don't even issue or accept the stamps, namely the one in Banker's Hall. That was a couple of years ago but maybe they do now. Anyway, I haven't been back since and have always gone to the one in the Eaton Centre food fair. Just goes to show that if you piss off a customer, they won't ever return.

Godfuader
01-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by awd

Agreed. Although, I think they have the same policy in regards to hiring -- non-canadians only.

Does anyone know why this is?

OK Calm down everyone one! The reason that ALOT of on campus businesses only offer employment to non-canadians is due to limitations to international students working in Canada.

simply, International Students can ONLY be working on campuses. They do not have the necessary paper work to apply for external jobs like us Canadians. By offering jobs to international students it allows to offset the limitations faced by international students, who do pay double the tuition, wishing to make some money on the side.

It is not "Racism" its assistance. These companies do have benefits by hiring international students, because mainly they do not have to offer full sized benefits, and most international students will glady work for non-logged cash pay.

Discriminatory? yes, but only to help international students and themselves.

hope that helps

-Fuad

Tux10
01-12-2005, 04:34 PM
I think Fuad is right... without these campus jobs, they wouldn't be able to get jobs any where else in Calgary because they have now SIN for tax and crap, but I also don't doubt they get minimum wage.

That guy that owns Subway has always been an Asshole for as long as I have been to the university, but I must say he is one hell of an entrepreneur. FYI he also owns the Jugo Juice at the Talisman Centre.... that is one smart place to open one.

Zero102
01-12-2005, 05:00 PM
He has always been an asshole for as long as I can remember as well.
I called subway head office, but they're out east, so it was after business hours, I left a really nasty message about him, and I'll call tomorrow.

I went back to talk to him, but the place was so packed I just left, I'll go back another time.

I'm still offended by his sign, and his policy. If international students can afford to come here, they don't need a minumum wage job.

Weapon_R
01-12-2005, 05:01 PM
I can also verify that exchange students cannot work anywhere else but on campus, which is why you see so many people who work there of ethnic origin. I don't really agree that there should be a complete denial of whites, but personally i've never seen the sign.

GTS Jeff
01-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Tux10
I think Fuad is right... without these campus jobs, they wouldn't be able to get jobs any where else in Calgary because they have now SIN for tax and crap, but I also don't doubt they get minimum wage. Boo-fucking-hoo! If they are going to work a job, they should take some pride in their work. Or at least stop acting like they're too good to be serving customers properly.

Godfuader
01-12-2005, 05:20 PM

I'm still offended by his sign, and his policy. If international students can afford to come here, they don't need a minumum wage job.

not all international students are from a wealthy family. ALOT of international students study in calgary because of the different progams offered in Canada. Alot of foreign nations do not have recognized post secondary schools, and they have to bear the cost of double tuition in order to get a world-class education (Yes, calgary post secondary institutions are considered world-class because graduates are recognized internationally)

A degree from the Namibia Nursing Institution would not be worth a high-school degree in North America. Most international students are here due to lack of other options locally, and in my opinion they need all the assistance they can get.

Besides, if u get that bitchy about not being able to work at the Subway on campus, just go down the street and apply there, or at the store next to it, or the one next to that... You are Canadian, u can work anywhere in the entire city, dont get bitchy about being 'discriminated' against a very minor area where u cant apply. let those students have some options too :thumbsup:

ZorroAMG
01-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Well, since I know the owner of that Subway franchise...

They don't hire ONLY international students, they simply choose to in an effort to help less fortunate foreign students obtain jobs. They cannot, as stated above, work anywhere else but on campus.

I have forwarded this thread in email form to him and Zero102, if you care to, PM me your contact info so he can resolve your issues. If not, it'll perhaps inform him of things he is overlooking/doing wrong and might serve as a catalyst.

Obviously your identity is kept hidden, unless you permit me to give it to him.

If you wish to remain anonymous (I.E. do nothing to inform him of your plight) stop wasting your breath bashing the store. It's not like more than a handful of people will boycott it because they only got 6 peppers instead of 8.

davidI
01-12-2005, 06:01 PM
That's the only place I eat on campus and I'm not overly concerned about any of his policies. I imagine the stamp policies stemmed from those rolls of stamps being sold on Ebay :dunno:

Weapon_R
01-12-2005, 06:07 PM
I've just checked with other U of C students, and if you continue to forward complaints to the Subway head office, you will see a response.

From what I understand, he has been cautioned against this before. I imagine that a series of emails to their head office will end this guys bullshit practices. They refused to accept my subway cards when they switched from the white stamps to the yellows, stating I did not purchase any there. (I ONLY eat at the U of C subway, it's out of my way anywhere else)

ZorroAMG: You would not put up with his practices either if you were a paying customer. I imagine that you get better than average service because of your relationship with him. Most people do not. Every member here has a complaint, and none of it is untrue. I can relate to it all, minus that sign, but i'll see it when I pass by tomorrow.

Altezza
01-12-2005, 06:19 PM
If international students can afford to come here, they don't need a minumum wage job.

Education in Canada is still relatively cheap compared to many parts of the world. Many come for that reason; not because they are rich.

finboy
01-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by idriveabox

there can be a language barrier there, but i don't really order that complexed of a sub so its pretty straight forward. i find the owner is quite a nice guy too, deffinatly a better store then some of the non-campus locations i've been too.

Chester
01-12-2005, 07:55 PM

I stopped going to the MRC one because the guy almost refused to take my card but my sub had already been made. He was like interrogating me on where I got all the stamps. I told him I got them from a subway in the mall because I work in the mall and go there all the time for lunch, his response to that was "What? You work at subway? You can't use this."
A couple times before that I got the sweet onion chicken teryaki subs and the chicken was frozen, they didn't even warm it up:thumbsdow

Mckenzie
01-12-2005, 08:56 PM
I find this thread amusing....

Last year a friend and I were going to write a letter to the Gauntlet about how rude the owner of that location is. Not only is he rude to his customers, but to his employees as well!

His wife is extremely nice to me and she even recognizes me off campus.

However, I agree that their policies are ridiculous....I have run into the same problem many times. Other complaints:

1) Dirty looks when you use debit or Credit Card
2) You always feel rushed
3) Your sub always ends up looking like it is used and has been stepped on because they are going fast....long lines and busy times are no excuse for poor quality. I have taken my sub back numerous times and thrown it on the counter and have told them I dont want it unless it looks like the one in the picture, not like it has been chewed and spit on a peice of wax paper.
4) You always feel rushed
5) The owner is a cheap prick that badmouths his employees in front of the customer...very unprofessional. He is also rude to most customers.
6) You have 2 cash registers! Hello!...ever wonder why the line is so long? Maybe because you have 87 people making the sub and only one person taking payment.
7) You always feel rushed
8) Did I mention you always feel like you are being rushed?

Seriously though...dude is gonna have a heart attack. Every one who goes there regulary knows it. I have even stopped going there this year because of the terrible service. And I used to eat there about 2x a day....too bad they could not realize how much business they actually lose because of the way they treat people. :rolleyes:

Chim
01-12-2005, 10:14 PM
^---Totally agree with you.

Some managers are so close to the operations aspect of the job that they forget about the money source: customers! Obviously this guy (along with MANY retail managers) needs to brush up on his management skills and realize that cutting costs and operational details arent the only things required in good management.

Zero102
01-12-2005, 10:34 PM
I would be more than willing to talk things out with the owner, but I doubt he would change anything.
Look at how many people here have complained, and called subway head office, etc. And still, nothing has changed.

I plan to come in and talk with him in the near future. The biggest issue with this, is that I can't find very many times to make it in there when it's not busy. I personally am not bothered by the hair issue, but I am mentioning it on behalf of a friend, who vowed to never return once he found a hair in his sandwich.

ZorroAMG, I respect that you know the owner personally, but I have a different impression of him than you do.

I apologize for my statement regarding international students, it wasn't fair.
I was a touch on tilt, and that was not the right thing to say.

I agree with his wife being great. She usually goes out of her way to make things right when the people at the counter get them wrong. I get along with her pretty well, and if I see her in the halls or whatever, she will usually stop to say hi. She is about the only reason I returned there, because I felt she actually appreciated me and my girlfriend's loyalty to the subway.

Also, I don't know the guy's name, but he's a taller white guy, brown hair and he looks like he had some seriously big earrings in at one time. I think he wears them whenever he's not working. Anyways, I've had really great luck with him as well, but pretty much everybody else there sucks.

Lately the owner has developed a bit of a sense of humor, but I was offended when he would yell at employee's for doing what the customer asked. And I am outright offended by his latest move. His wife mentioned to me that he has had a rather hard time over the last couple years, however she also mentioned that things are looking much better right now (I noticed he no longer has the walker), so I suppose he should be in better spirits, instead of worse.

Now I was not aware of the rolls of stamps being sold on EBay, but wouldn't they all have the same store number on the top or something?... Shouldn't there be an easier way to filter those out. I agree, if somebody came in every day with illegal stamps, and got a free sub, I, as a store owner, would be rather irate with that person. However, that is not a good basis to implement these crazy rules.

davidI
01-12-2005, 10:36 PM
I've heard it is the busiest subway in western canada though....and most of the complaints stem around being rushed etc. Without expanding I don't really see what he can do! I'd rather them rush me through than wait in line forever but I dunno. I wish the workers spoke better english but they need jobs so whatever.

xkon
01-12-2005, 10:38 PM
the douglas glen subway was the same thing... my friend asked for spinach on his sub, the owner refused, said only if paid for a spinach salad. My buddy complained, went back, and was refused again.

I went there daily for over a year, and unless i made a stink about it, EVERYDAY she wouldnt give me stamps. When she did, I was told I cant redeem them there, as they pay for the free subs out of their own pockets...

I can relate, I finally had enough and dont go there anymore. If its like that at the UofC, do the same.

7thgenvic
01-12-2005, 10:55 PM
i really don't know what the complaining is for! look at half of these subways, it's hardly white canadians working for them. All the University is doing is trying to help Foreign students have a job. My sister goes to the University of Washington and for her to find a job is impossible as getting a working permit or visa is hard for any international student. So before you bitch about not being able to get a job at subway, why not take into consideration that you can work elsewhere?

idriveabox
01-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Chester

I stopped going to the MRC one because the guy almost refused to take my card but my sub had already been made. He was like interrogating me on where I got all the stamps. I told him I got them from a subway in the mall because I work in the mall and go there all the time for lunch, his response to that was "What? You work at subway? You can't use this."
A couple times before that I got the sweet onion chicken teryaki subs and the chicken was frozen, they didn't even warm it up:thumbsdow

:werd: thats exactly what happened to me....

And I didn't mean to imply that a language barrier equates to rudeness. Whether or not the employees can speak English well, is irrelevant. The majority of them are pissed off and seem to be taking it out on the students.
Not worth my business IMO, and MANY other MRC students I know as well.

Seanith
01-12-2005, 11:47 PM
I agree Subway at the U of C is bullshit. I also hate being rushed, and another thing that hasn't really been mentioned is now that they allow you to "toast any sub", I find I get hassled for getting my sub toasted.
One day I was with a couple buddies, and one said "i'll have it toasted". The other guy and I didnt' know you could now get your subs toasted, and we also choose to get our subs toasted. Well the person helping us was a big bitch about it. I will also decide not go to subway at all at U of C or just go very rarely. Theres no shortage of decent places to eat on campus imo.

wildrice
01-12-2005, 11:54 PM
the subway in village square (leisure centere) is gay too
it's all east indian ppl working there, not that i have anything against them or nething,

but they refuse to accept stamp cards if they aren't their colored stamps also

my friend tried to use one with other colored stamps on there, and they asked him where he got it, he lied and told them that he got them there knowing that they wouldn't accept it if he told them the truth

so they decided to take his card and not give him a sub for it

ghey
:whipped:

ninjak84
01-13-2005, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
All the University is doing is trying to help Foreign students have a job.

That's true, but kind of missing the point.

What if the people they're hiring can't do the job properly? I still think that in any situation, even Subway, the better person should get the job. Look at what people are complaining about.

Originally posted by Mckenzie
3) Your sub always ends up looking like it is used and has been stepped on because they are going fast

I couldn't care less which color of person works where. Just as long as they can get it done!
Sure it's a busy shop. But that's just good news for the owner, not an excuse for poor quality.
The policy is a double standard, that's why I disagree with it.

badseed
01-13-2005, 01:44 AM

I disagree, their so stingy when making the sub's. They never put on enough veggies, I alwayz had to ask for more. Oh and 1 fukin napkin for a footlong sub, this pisses me off more than anything else, they give away napkins as if there gonna go out a business if they give away to many. You ask for extra "napkins" and they give you 1 more AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Makes me want to bleed them to death. :banghead: :whipped:

Nav13
01-13-2005, 11:38 AM
After reading the thread and hearing about all the complaints of certain subways not accepting cards I have come to the conclusion that all subways hate accepting them. I will add that the subway accross churchill beside macs was also a bitch about it. I say "was" because that was back when I was in gr11, I believe the ownership has changed now and havent been there since so I cannot say. The only subway Ive never had problems with is the one up in the superstore on country hills by tom baines. They always accept cards and never stinge out on the topings. I must say, ive never really had to big a problem at the uofc one, however Ive only ate their twice this year so I guess its more irratating if you have to deal with it several times per week.

ZorroAMG
01-13-2005, 01:53 PM
I do agree that the owner can be in a pissy mood but that hardly puts him in the disgruntled business owner category all by himself hahaha

It has been concluded that all subway locations can be gay with language barriers/accepting sub card/whatever else blah blah, but think about if if you are trying to run a business as busy as that location, you'd get pissed if kids came up with 3 half used cards trying to combine them to get a free one in the middle of lunch rush while paying customers are being held up....

I am not offended by the complaints, as they have been passed on to him anyway, but some of you are SERIOUSLY overreacting...

It's a subway, not Trump tower, things aren't always gonna be perfect, people. 2 days ago I was at a different Subway and and had a shitty time dealing with the chick there but who gives shit, I got my sandwich. And before any of you say "yeah but he runs the business and needs to take care of issues blah blah, ima paying customer blah blah" I'm willing to bet that you don't own a business, much less one in the food services industry. They are difficult to run in order to please EVERYONE. Until then, make your complaints if they are valid, but stop with the incessant whining like 10 yr old girls.

:)

Zero102
01-13-2005, 03:26 PM
3 half-used cards?... Not the issue, my issue is that you can no longer get a free foot long sub.
Although, I have seen people try that, and they've usually been accepted.

DEREK57
01-13-2005, 04:10 PM
It stinks up the whole basement too. Or at least the main hallway.

GucciBoy
01-13-2005, 09:23 PM
I love this thread!

I couldn't agree more! Never go to the one downtown in Fifth Ave Place, they are the worst! They say they can only limit to 3 olives per foot long, 4 pickles and as much bloody (moldy) sauce as you like. When I asked for extra veggies, she got all defensive and had a fit. This location is so bloody cheap, they don't even accept debit. Why do you think they are always so generous with the sauces? There is a reason. I only eat at Subway if I am absolutely in need of food. No wonder they are a multi million dollar franchise.

Aside from this, alot of locations will try to re-heat previous day meats such as roasted chicken. You can tell cause it is hard and crusty as a rock. Or even worse, sawdust bread!!! And its time they start serving "real" cheese, enough of the kraft singles crap.

GingeRRRBeef
01-14-2005, 02:36 PM
Haha what a funny thread ... I noticed all of these things but it didn't bother me enough to make a stink about it

On a high note, I ordered a foot long oven roasted chicken sub today at the UofC location just 30 min ago. The owner's wife asked what I ordered, I told her and handed her one sub card. She asked me what I wanted to drink and it ended up to only be the price of the medium drink. She thought I ordered a 6 inch and never even looked at my sub. I gave her the money for the drink and left with a full sub.

But seriously, I think it's retarded that they made it so you can only redeem one sub card at a time.

7thgenvic
01-14-2005, 05:45 PM
i actually take back what i said earlier! subway is terrible at Ucalgary.
Today i ordered my sub, asked for it toasted, and the bitch looked at my once with a funny look and then asked what i wanted on it! and i said well can i have it toasted first and then other fag gave me a funny look then they looked at each other and smirked! GOD how rude, its a fucking toasted sub! i should have shoved that 5.66 up their ass and told them to fuck off!
im pissed too!

GucciBoy
01-14-2005, 07:53 PM
i actually take back what i said earlier! subway is terrible at Ucalgary.
Today i ordered my sub, asked for it toasted, and the bitch looked at my once with a funny look and then asked what i wanted on it! and i said well can i have it toasted first and then other fag gave me a funny look then they looked at each other and smirked! GOD how rude, its a fucking toasted sub! i should have shoved that 5.66 up their ass and told them to fuck off!
im pissed too!

holy fak! You should have spit on their counter top where they make the subs!!! Knowing them, they wouldnt probably just leave it haha.

Seanith
01-15-2005, 02:44 PM
[B]
Today i ordered my sub, asked for it toasted, and the bitch looked at my once with a funny look and then asked what i wanted on it! and i said well can i have it toasted first and then other fag gave me a funny look then they looked at each other and smirked!
see thats exactly what i'm talking about
:rofl:
You need to toast it when it has the cheese and the meet, nothing else or it gets mushy. They treated me just like that.

7thgenvic
01-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Seanith

see thats exactly what i'm talking about
:rofl:
You need to toast it when it has the cheese and the meet, nothing else or it gets mushy. They treated me just like that.

TOTALLY KNOW what your talking about! and i also noticed the one card at a time policy! what a fucking load!
blahhhhhh they make the subs sooooo carelessly as well

QuasarCav
01-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by t-im
complain to head office and tell them to do something - you can get that subway in serious "subway" shit

for example, by company policy, they are suppose to give you more vegetables and sauce if you ask for it, withour charging you - they can only charge you for extra meat and cheese...and if they won't, you can complain and they'll get some sort of warning...something of that

Can you provide a source for this? We have a scamway near out work that puts the bare minimum on our subs and charges us for more toppings. I would love to bring in a sheet a paper stating that they could not do that.

Skyline_Addict
01-20-2005, 05:44 PM
wow, the fact alone that he only hires immigrants is fishy, and wrong in so many ways. for what ever reason a guy like that implements such a good policy would likely be one that benefits him. i wouldn't be surprised if he payed them less, and felt more domineering over them because they don't know how to talk back to him. definetely get this checked out!

GingeRRRBeef
01-20-2005, 07:06 PM
The last 2 subs i bought there, the cucumbers tasted like soap :barf:

Zero102
01-20-2005, 07:12 PM
I now drive to the subway across the street from SAIT, I've always had great service there, and they've always taken my cards, etc. Super impressed with them.

I talked with a couple people at the U of C subway, and nobody will give me a reason for either the immigrants only policy, or the 1 card only policy, so fuck them, they've lost my business for good.

5hift
01-20-2005, 08:52 PM
If your not happy with the U of C subway then dont give them your business.

However because its located in U of C and there is a serious lack of choice here, people will unfortunetly still go to it and i doubt they would even notice a drop in buisiness because of a few fed up beyonders. The main reason they are such assholes is because they can get away with it.

Zero102
01-21-2005, 12:58 AM
I know, and it's so unfortunate that they can indeed get away with such things. I am going to place a few more calls to subway head office, but I doubt anything will happen as a result of it. Such a shame. Anyways, it now takes me an extra 15 minutes to get subway, but I have my beliefs, and that is what's important to me.

Toms-SC
01-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Quiznos boys

Been going there weekely for well over a year at the Willliow Park location. Superb and perfect everytime!

Zero102
01-21-2005, 11:46 PM
That's a hell of a long ways from the U of C.
This was intended mostly for university students.

Weapon_R
01-22-2005, 12:43 AM
There's also a Quizno's at Northhill mall man..shorter distance than the Sait subway...

GucciBoy
01-22-2005, 11:32 AM
you guys should hit up a safeway deli where they make right on the spot hot and cold subs. Very good too! Blows subway out of the water.

canadian_hustla
01-24-2005, 09:21 PM
that chemical "subway bread" smell sure reeks up the lower level of machall.. I walked by there today, almost wanted to vomit. They should be fined for such malpractice and odor pollution.

t-im
01-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla
that chemical "subway bread" smell sure reeks up the lower level of machall.. I walked by there today, almost wanted to vomit. They should be fined for such malpractice and odor pollution.

that smell makes me queasy! - esp. when i'm hungry

canadian_hustla
01-24-2005, 09:27 PM
that smell makes me queasy! - esp. when i'm hungry

makes ya wonder what you are eating when you go for lunch there

Zero102
01-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Well, I decided to suck up my pride, and give them one more shot. What a big mistake that was! I ordered a chicken pizziola. I get to the front of the line, fully prepared to have to buy 2 drinks to get my free foot-long sub. I get there, and get the old manager guy. I tell him I wish to use 2 cards, and buy 2 drinks. He tells me I can't do that, so I say 'fine, then I'm leaving'. To which he replies 'Wait, you can use _one_ card', and I said 'that doesn't make any sense, last time I was here, I was told that I had to buy 2 drinks to use 2 cards', to which he grumbled for a short time, and said 'fine, but you're a real pain in the ass'. He then handed the 2 cards back to me, and demanded I write my name on them both, and he wants to see _MY DRIVERS LICENSE_.
In the midst of this all, he tells me that 'we are no longer allowed to take 2 cards at a time', as if it's Subway head office's fault.
When he asked to see my drivers license I told him 'I don't fucking think so', after which he went and got me 2 medium drinks, even though I asked for one large..... He's really bright.

He has absolutely no right what-so-ever to see my driver's license, and I am outright offended by his request to see it.

So, now I am calling Subway head office again, because he's obviously just a money-hungry asshole, who has more money than brains. The immigrants-only hiring sign is still up, nobody wears hair-nets yet, and he has now proven himself to be a complete asshole. You guys say that Subway head office takes this kind of thing seriously, we'll see... I've never even received a call back on any of my previous complaints.

Zorro, you mentioned that you knew the owner... I went in to try to talk to him on 4 occasions, and all 4 times I was told he was too busy... the resteraunt was never busy when I went in. Perhaps you could point him in the direction of this thread. He will probably know who I am by my description of this latest encounter, which is perfectly fine by me, because he can then verify that I indeed will never return to his establishment.

Obviously it was one of my less intelligent ideas to return to this Subway location.

Weapon_R
01-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Where is this damn "immigrants only" sign?

BloodBaneZXY
01-26-2005, 07:12 PM
its on the outside glass, closer to the right hand side entrance.

7thgenvic
01-26-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Where is this damn "immigrants only" sign?

hahahah i totally haven't seen that sign either! i don't know why there would be a sign, when they have like 3 white people who don't seem like imigrants working there!

nevertheless!
I really hate those bastards that work there!

Seanith
01-26-2005, 11:17 PM
So is smash hit subs any good? lol

subway
02-11-2005, 08:31 PM
I was very disappointed with the UofC Subway's Sub Club Policy that they appeared to make up on their own, so I wrote a complaint to Subway Canada. This (http://www.subway.com/subwayroot/Applications/CustServ/frmCustomerService.aspx) is the page I used to file my complaint. In my complaint I mentioned that I wanted someone to contact me regarding this.

Today I received a response from a guy named Tim Decaire, here is the contact information from his business card.

Tim Decaire
Field Consultant
Subway Developments 2000 Inc.
200, 3016 - 5 Avenue NE
Calgary, AB T2A 6K4
403-258-4408 EXT 330
HQ VM 4624
[email protected]

I received a letter as well as two coupons for a free 6 inch sub, that I intend to redeem at the UofC Subway. Here is a copy of the letter:

----
Thank you for taking the time to contact our office regarding your recent experience at the Subway at the University of Calgary. I did not get back to you right away as I wanted to do follow up with the franchisee of the above mentioned location in person and discuss the nature of your concern. I have since followed up with this restaurant and the owner to further clarify the Sub Club policy. This is clearly outlined in our policies and procedures. The franchisee assured me that he would follow the system as it has been set up.

Furthermore, we will be doing more frequent visits in the form of secret shops to ensure that this restaurant maintains company policy. I have been in contact with our Policies and Compliance department at our world headquarters in Milford Connecticut. There will be further action taken by the company should this problem continue to occur at this location.

(my name), we understand that there are many restaurant options for you to choose from, and we are glad when you choose Subway. We are sending you two (2), free 6 inch sub coupons that can be used in any Subway location in B.C., Alberta, Yukon, and NWT. that is convenient for you.

Thank you for your concern and hope that you continue to visit Subway. Should you have any further comments, feel free to contact me at the Alberta office. I can be reached at 258-4408 ext. 330.

Sincerely,

Tim Decaire
Subway Developments 2000 inc.
Alberta, Canada
[email protected]
----

I encourage anyone that has had a problem at this Subway to complain as well so that the owner understands that his customers are not happy with his behavior. I am submitting a copy of this to the gauntlet in hopes that they will discuss this. It seems that the more people I talk to, the more people I find are unsatisfied with the customer service at this Subway location.

GTS Jeff
02-12-2005, 02:06 PM
thanks for the link; i just made a complaint about the u of a one..

Zero102
02-13-2005, 09:48 AM
They must like you. I've complained several times over the 2 years I've been going there, and so has my G/F, and we never get so much as a response...

Oh well, good to hear they _might_ rectify the problem. They haven't gotten my business since I last posted, and I don't intend to return.

Weapon_R
02-13-2005, 12:43 PM
For those of you complaining about the "no whiteys" sign, you should take a reading comprehension course...

The reason I couldn't find it was because one does not exist. Encouraging international students to apply does not translate into not accepting white candidates for the position.

eb0i
02-13-2005, 01:27 PM
I as well have not been back to the Subway at the U of C since early November. The main reason is also because of the subway club card. I tried using it there but was denied. Half of them were from that location but the others were from the one by my house in Deer Run. I received the whole "we don't accept cards that don't have all our stamps on it" from the wife.

Other reasons I don't go there anymore is because of the bad service. I myself have witnessed the dirty looks from employees when my friends asked for their subs to be toasted. It was too the point where the would ask and it seemed to confuse the employees and they didn't know how to do it. I also ordered an Italian BMT once and only received 2 of the 3 meats that are supposed to be on it. And when I asked for extra veggies on my sub an employee was yelled at as well and I had to intervene by telling the owner that I had ask for it.

As for the "hiring international students only" sign, I have never seen it myself but don't disagree with it as I believe in helping the foreign students make some kind of income. I just wish the foreign students that were hired would make more of an effort to provide better service and drop the "I am better than you" attitude.

Overall the U of C Subway is horrible and will stay on my "never going back list" until there is a new owner.

Zero102
02-14-2005, 06:23 AM
If the sign is not as I described, then they have simply modified it. For the longest time, it did state international students _only_.

nambis
02-18-2005, 03:08 PM
yo this jerk still has his one card only signs up... it's been a week since the post about the subway head office. what gives?

Seanith
02-18-2005, 03:37 PM
hes a greedy fuck. thats whats up.

soupey
03-18-2005, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla

the smell of benny's makes me :barf: moreso than subway

-----------

my friend works at a subway in downtown (bankers i think), and hes told me the whole stamp thing is going to be phased out in a few months....so much for free subs:(...

lilboykorea
03-18-2005, 01:46 AM
i wanna buy that store...
guys keep complaining and somehow force him out
we'll make it a better place

and btw, u dont have to wear hear nets, a hat is fine as far as i know, our family has done subway before :dunno:

and ive never smelled anything chemical, its probably the scent of moisture and herbs

soupey
03-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am sorry to
learn that your visit was not what you had expected it to be.

Our customers provide us with valuable input, which we use to improve our
operations. As part of our commitment to our customers I have shared your
comments with the regional office in your area as well as the owner of the
SUBWAY® restaurant that you have visited.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to contact us. SUBWAY® looks
forward to your continued visits.

Don’t forget to visit our web site at www.subway.com for complete
nutritional information on our nationally offered products.

Sincerely,

Linda Fike x8201
Customer Care Representative

Customer ID: 881712

sounds like they just copy paste the same email in response to everything...

Smokem
03-18-2005, 12:15 PM
A comment from someone who doesn't normally ever eat at Subway...

1. It is written in law that in circumstances where an employer feels that another group has been oppressed that they may make an "affirmative action" decision to hire minorities

(I don't always agree with it, but...)

2. What kind of utility/satisfaction do you guys get from spending that kind of money, if you are all treated like shit? I mean, that's $6-7 a meal OR MORE on average and you should be RESPECTED and treated like gold for that amount. I eat at Opa all the time ($7+ meals) and they treat me like gold, always do what I want - that's why I come back, not just the food. There are many other places that you can spend your money on... why don't owners ever see this?

3. Every company should honor those sub cards, as they are just indicative of the loyalty base of the customers. It costs 3 times as much to attract a new customer than to retain an old one.

4. As far as the toasting goes, toasted tastes better! lol

ninjak84
03-18-2005, 12:42 PM
For those of you complaining about the "no whiteys" sign, you should take a reading comprehension course...

The reason I couldn't find it was because one does not exist. Encouraging international students to apply does not translate into not accepting white candidates for the position.

Time to clear this up.

That Subway only hires international students. In fact, it's common at UofC, UofA, UofS, and UBC that jobs which are strictly on campus are reserved for international students. Canada does this with their universities to "help out" the international kids with an easy job and some cash.
Good idea in theory, but the practice is a wreck. At least at the UofS (my school). The situation at my school has kids reluctantly applying (for jobs they don't want, and don't know how to do). They can't work elsewhere, because no one will hire them since they already have "special reserved jobs" on campus.
For a special few kids who can't work in Canada, it does help them. But we're talking about 20 students out of 20,000.

I have a TON of international friends at my school. Everyone outside the administration process deplores the "international student" laws. Everyone sees it as racist (whites take offense, and the internationals feel segregated and pushed into the job), even though it isn't racist at all really.
There is a much better way to solve the immigrant student work problem. In fact, there's a million better solutions. If I had the power, I'd try one of my own.

Zero102
03-18-2005, 05:40 PM
I hope they get shut down...
I now make the drive to the Subway by SAIT.
There can be a 15 person line-up, and I still have my sub in under 10 minutes. It's actually faster for me to drive there and get a sub and drive back than it is to walk over to mac hall, wait in the big line-ups, get treated like shit, argue over use of sub cards, then push my way out of there, since the big line-ups plug up the hwole damn place.

It's just a little bit more satisfying knowing that I'm helping fund a resteraunt that treats their customers right.

One time, I left and forgot my cookies. The next time I returned, they said to me 'hey, didn't you forget your cookies last time?' and gave them to me then. THAT is customer service. If you ask for extra anything, they don't bitch, you don't hear the manager yelling, you just get it.
Toasted? no problem. Sub cards? no problem!

tictactoe2004
03-18-2005, 06:10 PM
kind of off topic, but have any of you guys used AMA cards there before? They say that they take AMA, but the subways that I have been to tell me that if we use AMA we cannot get our sub stamps. This is something that I do not understand... granted they do not make as much money, but why bother taking them then? I dunno, like I said, off topic, but its just another complaint I have against subway... If you offer 10% off, it should be just that, 10% off of what you normally get, not 10% off, but then you dont get a stamp...

anyways, my two cents...

Seanith
03-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Days when I'm done early, If I want subway its a better idea to just drive home and go to the one in Midnapore. BTW I also filed a complaint on their site, and I also got 2 free subs. I gave my friend one of the cards, and of course he used it at the University location! Needless to say that manager knew exactly where it came from and he hassled my friend about it :rolleyes:

Weapon_R
03-18-2005, 07:03 PM
Best thing to do is to go there and ask that the sub be made, and then walk away if the manager gives you a hard time. If anything is worse than having someone use a sub card, its having someone leave after the thing has been made.

7thgenvic
03-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Best thing to do is to go there and ask that the sub be made, and then walk away if the manager gives you a hard time. If anything is worse than having someone use a sub card, its having someone leave after the thing has been made.

good idea! then you can just say you don't have the money! good call! and secondly about the AMA card! the fucker told me the same thing.

" We can't do it!, all we can do is the stamps!" WTF

rice_eater
03-18-2005, 08:19 PM
i think they hire non canadian students because foreign students that are here only for school are only allowed to work on campus. i'm sure that's the people they are trying to give the jobs to, there's no racial discrimination here

bart
03-18-2005, 08:59 PM
that guy who "runs" subway, that older white guy with curly hair? i've seen him at the jugo juice at lindsay park too... lets hope he's switching jobs :)

canadian_hustla
03-18-2005, 10:06 PM
2 things of advice:

1)don't order the southwest steak sub unless you want it to go straight south.

I was sick for days after that thing - lesson learned

2)extra cheese is not a privledge, it WILL cost you.. 60 cents or something like that although they play it as a bonus.

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

racial barriers are not what is hurting the business (any racial barriers can be overcome), but the blame is moreso on below satisfactory customer service standards and food quality.

t-im
03-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by bart
that guy who "runs" subway, that older white guy with curly hair? i've seen him at the jugo juice at lindsay park too... lets hope he's switching jobs :)

Doesn't he own that also?? I think it was mentioned somewhere..

Benny
03-19-2005, 04:40 AM
he grumbled for a short time, and said 'fine, but you're a real pain in the ass'.

Hahahahha. I'd walk right the fuck out after a comment like that, possibly give the guy a good deal of shit too. Just go for your sub and if you don't get your sub then saddle up and walk right on out. By no means should you put up with being called a pain in the ass for some shitty quality sub that you're using a recognized deal on. I should stop by that place some day just for the experience. I had a manager kinda like that when I worked at Domino's. He'd give you endless amounts of shit for putting like one extra piece of pepperoni on a pizza. Ugh that job sucked shit.

Smokem
03-19-2005, 08:30 PM
You know, loyalty is sooo important these days. I don't know why some of you still even eat there after hearing the stories.

A few examples come to mind:

1. When I worked at Market Mall on weekends, I used to always eat Opa Souvlaki and the owner and the staff were always kind, knew me by name and gave me extra food, etc. despite me having to pay full price all the time. I did remember one instance when the owner gave me a baklava for free way before that. $2.49 went a long way... not only do I still remember it, but the countless times I ate there made up for it.

2. My buddy always goes to the Pita Pit on 17th ave. He eats there so much they take care of him and give him a discount whenever he comes by AND gives him stamps.

3. Same deal with Canadian Pizza Unlimited

4. Even at Bourbon St. Grill at Chinook, I eat there lots and the Chinese ladies know me by face and give me more food

Bottom line, when I walk away from somewhere I felt ripped off in some way shape or form (they didnt put napkins in my bag, i felt they shorted me on food, etc.) actually anywhere for that matter, I will remember and not go there again unless I absolutely craved it... same goes for merchandise. I think of the countless number of times I returned Future Shop crap cuz I didn't like the sales guy.

BUT when they treat me good, oh boy am I ever a loyal customer.

Smokem
03-19-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Benny

Hahahahha. I'd walk right the fuck out after a comment like that, possibly give the guy a good deal of shit too. Just go for your sub and if you don't get your sub then saddle up and walk right on out. By no means should you put up with being called a pain in the ass for some shitty quality sub that you're using a recognized deal on. I should stop by that place some day just for the experience. I had a manager kinda like that when I worked at Domino's. He'd give you endless amounts of shit for putting like one extra piece of pepperoni on a pizza. Ugh that job sucked shit.

oh would i ever just walk away, i'd be like "you keep your sub, ill eat somewhere else"

d-UNiT
03-20-2005, 12:35 AM
i blame jared

d-UNiT
03-20-2005, 12:37 AM
i used to go to edo of japan everyday i worked .. the one in chinook.. everyone was so nice there.. they always greeted me pleasantly.. and often times gave me extra beef when i didnt pay for it.. i enjoyed their service and kept returning , even though ide get diarhea. .(JK)... but ya those guys are really nice down there

Zero102
03-20-2005, 05:44 PM
I was rather hungry, or else I would have walked out on that asshole.
Rather lucky that so many of you are getting coupons for free subs. Me and a couple friends have complained to them repeatedly, and haven't gotten so much as a call back, or some kind of notice that they even read our complaints.

Redlyne_mr2
03-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Subway was awesome back in the day. Now its dog food.

Ajay
03-20-2005, 08:04 PM
I hope they get shut down...
I now make the drive to the Subway by SAIT.
There can be a 15 person line-up, and I still have my sub in under 10 minutes. It's actually faster for me to drive there and get a sub and drive back than it is to walk over to mac hall, wait in the big line-ups, get treated like shit, argue over use of sub cards, then push my way out of there, since the big line-ups plug up the hwole damn place.

It's just a little bit more satisfying knowing that I'm helping fund a resteraunt that treats their customers right.

One time, I left and forgot my cookies. The next time I returned, they said to me 'hey, didn't you forget your cookies last time?' and gave them to me then. THAT is customer service. If you ask for extra anything, they don't bitch, you don't hear the manager yelling, you just get it.
Toasted? no problem. Sub cards? no problem!

Why go that far when you can go the Subway in Dalhousie....the one just off of Crowchild. Whenever I want Subway I always go there and they're really good too. NEVER had an issue with using stamps or getting extra veggies or anything at all. I don't go there that often but when I do they usually remember what I order. Check it out.

Zero102
03-20-2005, 10:01 PM
The one in Dalhousie?...
Where exactly is that?
I know of one just off shaganappi in Varsity, I thought that was the closest?

I went to the one by SAIT, because I used to go there when I did my electrician classes at SAIT, and always received above excellent service there, on my return visits, they have not disappointed me.

I'm still a big fan of Subway, so I guess head office doesn't really care, but I vow to never return to the Subway at the U of C, even if they change their rules.

Seanith
03-20-2005, 10:18 PM
The one in Dalhousie?...
Where exactly is that?
I know of one just off shaganappi in Varsity, I thought that was the closest?

The one at Dalhousie station. You know where the safeway is there? Its north on crowchild up until 53rd ave i believe. its a couple doors down from the BPs. That would probably be a closer location :thumbsup:
I have had nothing but good experiences there.

Strider
03-21-2005, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Ajay

Why go that far when you can go the Subway in Dalhousie....the one just off of Crowchild. Whenever I want Subway I always go there and they're really good too. NEVER had an issue with using stamps or getting extra veggies or anything at all. I don't go there that often but when I do they usually remember what I order. Check it out.

The closest one to the U is market mall

Zero102
03-21-2005, 03:12 PM
I didn't know there was a subway in Dalhousie. Now I'm torn... :)
The one at market mall may be closer, but is it faster to get in there and back out?