PDA

View Full Version : Talon vs. 2.5RS

g-mcstud
01-12-2005, 06:11 PM
What would you pick and why?

1998 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD- 60000km

or

2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS- 70000km

I have been looking at both of these cars and was wondering not only which is better and why but how much you'd expect these cars to be worth. Both cars are mint condition.

Thanks

Fuji
01-12-2005, 06:48 PM
TSi AWD.. better for modding. Already you have more stock power than the RS

looks better than the RS, TSi has less mileage

thats a lot of mileage on a 2002RS.

Chim
01-12-2005, 07:22 PM
I was between getting a Talon and an ImprezaRS as well. The main factor in influencing my decision was reliability. Talons do have their quirks, and crankwalk is an issue on the 98. Although it still is a relatively rare problem, it was something I could not afford to deal with if it did happen.

Definitely agree with Fuji if you're after modding though. DSM's can become quite quick without a huge amount put into it. Just hope this reply doesn't spark up another DSM vs (insert make here) debate :D

heavyD
01-13-2005, 01:31 PM
I am a little biased but if you put both cars side by side and compare them for looks, then take both out for a spin, your answer should be quite obvious.

2GB Talons/Eclipses are amongst the best looking cars still today. Imprezza's have a face only a mother could love (90's versions look much nicer). Performance wise 210 (+tons of potential)vs. 165 (might be able to get 5 - 10 extra hp with mods) enough said. 97.5 to 99 DSM's are crankwalk free as they use different crankshafts and bearings. My 98 Eclipse with 67K miles has 0.000 mm crank endplay. Hell my 92 Talon purrs like a new car. All you have to do is change the oil/filters, etc at regular intervals as well as the timing belt and you will be fine.

If you don't want the Talon, please PM me the number of the person selling the Talon.

pimpstang
01-13-2005, 01:40 PM
TSI

awd
01-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Talon.

BumpinTalon
01-13-2005, 02:40 PM
Talon... so much better looking then the Subaru and, in the end, a much more fun car.

awd
01-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
Talon... so much better looking then the Subaru and, in the end, a much more fun car.

Hey, easy now -- looks are in the eye of the beholder. I think my bug-eyed freak is much sexier than a talon.

:D

googe
01-13-2005, 03:24 PM
what are the prices on them?

GoChris
01-13-2005, 03:33 PM
I would also pick the talon, faster and looks better.

Weapon_R
01-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Reliability is huge for me, so the 2.5RS would be my choice.

George_Reyes
01-13-2005, 04:31 PM
a talon is a REAL sports car unlike the 2.5rs. looks sporty too way better.

Fuji
01-13-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Reliability is huge for me, so the 2.5RS would be my choice.

stock talon is jsut as reliable as an RS.. modded is a different story..

awd
01-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Fuji

stock talon is jsut as reliable as an RS.. modded is a different story..

True, but mileage aside -- the Impreza is 4 years newer than the Talon...

heavyD
01-13-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by awd
True, but mileage aside -- the Impreza is 4 years newer than the Talon...

Years don't affect reliability nearly as much as mileage. There is a misconception that Japanese cars are all more reliable than domestic which isn't true. Only Honda and Toyota are above the industry average for problems/100 vehicles. GM ranks higher than Mitsubish, Mazda, Subaru, & Nissan and Ford and Chrysler rank in the middle. Moral of the story is: don't ever confuse Subaru's reliability with Honda or Toyota.

George_Reyes
01-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Years don't affect reliability nearly as much as mileage. There is a misconception that Japanese cars are all more reliable than domestic which isn't true. Only Honda and Toyota are above the industry average for problems/100 vehicles. GM ranks higher than Mitsubish, Mazda, Subaru, & Nissan and Ford and Chrysler rank in the middle. Moral of the story is: don't ever confuse Subaru's reliability with Honda or Toyota.

:werd: subaru isn't a honda/toyota its just as reliable as any GM

Fuji
01-13-2005, 06:19 PM

That I disagree with. Go talk to a tow truck operator. Every single one I have spoken to (more than a dozen) have rarely or never towed a Subaru impreza (withthe exception of my own, but most of it is self inflicted). GM reliability is horrible. I will go so far to say that a Subaru is more reliable than almost all domestics

Fuji
01-13-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by George_Reyes

Your talking like you know something. A talon is NOT A REAL sports car. In fact it is in the same calss as the impreza.

A REAL sports car is a Lotus Elise.

btw Subaru is not even comparable to a GM in terms of reliability

awd
01-13-2005, 06:29 PM

No misconception here -- I believe a Subaru is more reliable than an Eagle.

awd
01-13-2005, 06:31 PM

"REAL sports car", "looks sporty too", "way better"

Are you 11?

BumpinTalon
01-13-2005, 06:34 PM

That I disagree with. Go talk to a tow truck operator. Every single one I have spoken to (more than a dozen) have rarely or never towed a Subaru impreza (withthe exception of my own, but most of it is self inflicted). GM reliability is horrible. I will go so far to say that a Subaru is more reliable than than almost all domestics

compare the numbers of GM cars on the road compared to Subarus. There are maybe 15,000 GMs on the road compared to, say, 4,000 Subarus. Its just an issue of odds. There are way more GMs then Subarus, so naturally, a lot more of them no matter how reliable they are, are going to break down at any one time.
that's like saying Lamborghinis are the most reliable car in the entire world because never ever has one been towed and Hondas are crap because they've been towed 750,000 times.

Fuji
01-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon

compare the numbers of GM cars on the road compared to Subarus. There are maybe 15,000 GMs on the road compared to, say, 4,000 Subarus. Its just an issue of odds. There are way more GMs then Subarus, so naturally, a lot more of them no matter how reliable they are, are going to break down at any one time.
that's like saying Lamborghinis are the most reliable car in the entire world because never ever has one been towed and Hondas are crap because they've been towed 750,000 times.

While taht maybe true. Why are J-body's in everyone's eyes shit? Why have all the domestics I and my family have owned have serious problems within 2 years? Why are there a lot of nasty old 198x Subaru legacys and justys etc on the road with 500,000km with minimal problems? - Because japanese manufacturing is better than domestic to date.

Freakin. Your sig says no to jdm... yet your car runs a japanese engine in it. The only reason your Eagle is reliable is because its using a mitsubishi engine! Any domestic with a japanese engine will run relatively well, anythign without one will have problems.

Numbers games aren't an issue here, lets get to reality. i am not trying to start a war here, but I would say this is generally accepted knowledge.

2.0turbo
01-13-2005, 07:30 PM

The only reason your Eagle is reliable is because its using a mitsubishi engine! Any domestic with a japanese engine will run relatively well, anythign without one will have problems.

Numbers games aren't an issue here, lets get to reality. i am not trying to start a war here, but I would say this is generally accepted knowledge.

For the most part, Talons/Eclipse/Lasers are not any less or any more reliable than any car of the same year (give or take). 98/99's would be considered to be the most reliable because they are the newest. There is no major problems with them other than the recall on the leaking transfer case. That effects all awd talons from 93 to 99. It is a recall and will be fixed by the dealer if it hasn't been done already. Although Crankwalk can be an issue with any car with a crankshaft, it seems to be more predominent with 95 to 97 dsms, 97 being the worst year. There are many different theory's to this and that is all they are.

Personally, the Talon would be my choice. The Talon is most likely less money and comes with 35% more power. How are you going to get that from the suby without seriously effecting reliablility and a lot of $. Keep in mind that you have about 30,000 kms before a timing belt is needed. I would suggest taking the asking price, bring a quote for the timing belt and supporting maintainance (belt b, and some other stuff) from the dealer (cause they will be the most expensive) and delete that from the price. Then immediatley go and get it changed. Good luck with you purchase and because I know you will make the right choice, Welcome to the world of DSM's.

Fuji
01-13-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by 2.0turbo

For the most part, Talons/Eclipse/Lasers are not any less or any more reliable than any car of the same year (give or take). 98/99's would be considered to be the most reliable because they are the newest. There is no major problems with them other than the recall on the leaking transfer case. That effects all awd talons from 93 to 99. It is a recall and will be fixed by the dealer if it hasn't been done already. Although Crankwalk can be an issue with any car with a crankshaft, it seems to be more predominent with 95 to 97 dsms, 97 being the worst year. There are many different theory's to this and that is all they are.

Personally, the Talon would be my choice. The Talon is most likely less money and comes with 35% more power. How are you going to get that from the suby without seriously effecting reliablility and a lot of $. Keep in mind that you have about 30,000 kms before a timing belt is needed. I would suggest taking the asking price, bring a quote for the timing belt and supporting maintainance (belt b, and some other stuff) from the dealer (cause they will be the most expensive) and delete that from the price. Then immediatley go and get it changed. Good luck with you purchase and because I know you will make the right choice, Welcome to the world of DSM's.

No i agree with you go with the DSM.. you are geting better power to dollar ratio. But someone made a claim that GM is more reliable than Subaru. just stating it is part japanese thats all

90Tegra
01-13-2005, 07:35 PM
i'd take the talon any day;)

George_Reyes
01-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by awd

"REAL sports car", "looks sporty too", "way better"

Are you 11?

are you stupid? A 2.5rs was never a sports car and does not even compare.

awd
01-13-2005, 07:54 PM

If that is you holding that bowling pin, I am laughing out loud.

Chim
01-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Chim
Just hope this reply doesn't spark up another DSM vs (insert make here) debate :D

Bahahaha even though my reply didn't cause any of this, I saw it coming!!!! :D

Fuji
01-13-2005, 08:11 PM

What do you drive that makes the RS sooo inferior?:drama:

awd
01-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by g-mcstud

1998 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD- 60000km

or

2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS- 70000km

So what were the asking prices on both cars?

heavyD
01-13-2005, 09:00 PM
No i agree with you go with the DSM.. you are geting better power to dollar ratio. But someone made a claim that GM is more reliable than Subaru. just stating it is part japanese thats all

It's a fact that over the last 3 years according to jd power & associates that GM has above average problems/100 veahicles. As I said before only Honda & Toyota are the only Japanese makers above average. This isn't really news or anything if you can't accept it then don't but don't say that I made it up.

2000impreza
01-13-2005, 09:08 PM

the talon never was.. never will be a sports car either. lol. this has nothing to do with the thread.

anyways, i would go for the talon. like others have siad you get more for the dollar. both cars can be fairly reliable when kept in stock form.

camero
01-13-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza

the talon never was.. never will be a sports car either. lol. this has nothing to do with the thread.

anyways, i would go for the talon. like others have siad you get more for the dollar. both cars can be fairly reliable when kept in stock form.

A Talon is a sports car, don't be an idiot just because you drive a Subaru.

George_Reyes
01-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by awd

If that is you holding that bowling pin, I am laughing out loud.

Yes that's me so what? What are you going to do about it? I stated my opinion.

:whocares:

And sorry for not expressing my opinions with "professional terminology" yes I am 11 years old. Good judgement. This isn't an English class.

2000impreza
01-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by camero

lol. really... whats your reasoning behind it?

i do drive a subaru. it has nothing to do with my point of view on the talon. the impreza IS NOT a sports car either... so what?

tsi_neal
01-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by camero

How about you dont be an idiot and realise that neither one is a sports car in any sence of the word. I like my talon, its a hoot to drive, its fast, and handles reasonably well... but its not a sports car. Once you spend some time in a sports car youll understand.

Id buy the talon hands down, but if your looking for a stock daily driver id take the RS. Better gas economy, assuming it runs 87 octane, no turbo lag, more doors, more utility. Ummm my dad owns an 02 wrx, and one of the boys at my shop has an 02 or 03 RS i like both cars, id say both have similar luxry items/ fit and finish to the talon. Really my choice would be made by keeping it stock = subie, modding = talon

Canadian 2.5RS
01-13-2005, 09:53 PM

Yes that's me so what? What are you going to do about it? I stated my opinion.

:whocares:

And sorry for not expressing my opinions with "professional terminology" yes I am 11 years old. Good judgement. This isn't an English class.

I think that he was referring to this statement

looks sporty too way better.

In no way would that "sentence" be accepted by any formal institution, be it a university or a grade 4 language arts class. It sounds like you are a struggling first year ESL student with more bowling pins than brains.

But im just expressing MY opinion.
:drama:

Now relating to the topic...
I would take the talon simply because it is far less expensive to mod and is much more responsive to simple bolt ons. But I LOVE MY SOOBIE!!!

George_Reyes
01-13-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Canadian 2.5RS

I think that he was referring to this statement

In no way would that "sentence" be accepted by any formal institution, be it a university or a grade 4 language arts class. It sounds like you are a struggling first year ESL student with more bowling pins than brains.

But im just expressing MY opinion.

Now relating to the topic...
I would take the talon simply because it is far less expensive to mod and is much more responsive to simple bolt ons. But I LOVE MY SOOBIE!!!

if what you said is true, that would make this guy mentally retarded:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71142

im not going to rephrase everything i write just because its "not correct". You can understand what I said, that is good enough. This web site forum isn't my English class.

George_Reyes
01-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by tsi_neal

How about you dont be an idiot and realise that neither one is a sports car in any sence of the word. I like my talon, its a hoot to drive, its fast, and handles reasonably well... but its not a sports car. Once you spend some time in a sports car youll understand.

Id buy the talon hands down, but if your looking for a stock daily driver id take the RS. Better gas economy, assuming it runs 87 octane, no turbo lag, more doors, more utility. Ummm my dad owns an 02 wrx, and one of the boys at my shop has an 02 or 03 RS i like both cars, id say both have similar luxry items/ fit and finish to the talon. Really my choice would be made by keeping it stock = subie, modding = talon

I never said the 2.5rs was bad, its more of a winter car.

As for it not being a sports car:

(The Eagle brand has been an underrated member of the Chrysler clan since it came on line in 1987. Matt Hagin thinks that the new Eagle Talon is unsuitable for a family and his dad agrees. "It's a sports car," says Bob Hagin, "and it covers the field from mild to wild.")

http://www.theautochannel.com/content/vehicles/new/reviews/1997/gap9728.html

Skylinelover
01-13-2005, 10:36 PM

if what you said is true, that would make this guy mentally retarded:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71142

im not going to rephrase everything i write just because its "not correct". You can understand what I said, that is good enough. This web site forum isn't my English class.
Yeah lets go search old threads. :whocares:
Seriously if he was dirrecting that to everyone why dont we go get every thread that has a mistake?

camero
01-13-2005, 10:46 PM
1st of all, the guy was stating his fucking opinion he didn't say the 2.5 was a piece of shit or anything.

2nd this isn't a fucking school, I mean its not that hard to understand the damn guy why do you have to go and bash his English? You have nothing better to do?

3rd some of you are fucking assholes. The Talon IS a sports car.

From http://www.eaglecars.com/

A Chrysler employee has been quoted to say "Losing the Talon will hurt," Frost said. "It's our only true sports car."

Altezza
01-14-2005, 12:12 AM
^^ The dude working the mail room doesn't count. Talon is a sporty car, not a sports car.

George_Reyes
01-14-2005, 12:35 AM
Talon=Sports Car
2.5RS=Offroad/Rally

If a talon isnt a sports car please tell me what it is.

Originally posted by Altezza
^^ The dude working the mail room doesn't count. Talon is a sporty car, not a sports car.

How would you know that this employee works in the mail room? Please elaborate on your assumption.

benyl
01-14-2005, 12:44 AM

A sports car is normally defined by the number of doors (2)
The number of seats (2)
Front engine, or mid engine and rear drive.

Yes, that means an IROC-Z is not a sports car either.

A Lotus Elise, Toyota MRS, Mazda Miata, etc are considered sports cars. Even a Porsche 911 is technically not a sports car.

The amount of power a car has, has no bearing on whether it is a sports car or not.

The Talon is not a sports car. Never has, never will be... It doesn't fall into the accepted definition no matter what a Chrysler employee says.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

George_Reyes
01-14-2005, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by benyl

A sports car is normally defined by the number of doors (2)
The number of seats (2)
Front engine, or mid engine and rear drive.

Yes, that means an IROC-Z is not a sports car either.

A Lotus Elise, Toyota MRS, Mazda Miata, etc are considered sports cars. Even a Porsche 911 is technically not a sports car.

The amount of power a car has, has no bearing on whether it is a sports car or not.

The Talon is not a sports car. Never has, never will be... It doesn't fall into the accepted definition no matter what a Chrysler employee says.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

Miata :rofl:

If you are really basing it on the amount of seats that is pretty weak. The Talon has successive power, sleek design and AWD handling. Pretty sports to me.