PDA

View Full Version : Auto Club Memberships - CAA or other ??

babs00
01-13-2005, 11:23 AM
I've been looking for buying a new membership but there are too many or conflicting choices :

CAA / AMA
DAA - through CIBC Auto Club
Canadian Tire Auto Club

CAA allows only 160 Km while the latter two allow 250 Km of towing. And there's a difference of number of tows etc.

So, not sure should I go with CAA as they are well known or all other clubs are fine too.

Does CAA owns too many vehicles that they can come faster or all the clubs are same waiting time ?.

I've heard scary stories of waiting for 4-5 hours.

Can somebody help to differentiate and suggest ?

t-im
01-13-2005, 11:52 AM
I use CAA - and it came its already paid for itself - car towing and dead battery..they came and replaced my battery at my house.

are you expecting your car to break down that often that you'll need that many tows??

you'll have to wait hours for a tow truck regardless when it gets nasty out

babs00
01-13-2005, 11:59 AM
I've had my car for 5 years now and not even once I needed a tow. For the first three years, the road side assistance was covered by Mazda

I just had an incident yesterday at C-Train station where seems like their plugin was not working and it ended up my car cold in -36 degree temp.

That;s why I'm considering it now but I'm confused for no of tows and kms. Now, while I'm having it anyway, it won't be a bad idea to have a 'plus' membership to cover on highways as well. AMA/CAA city only gives 5 kms. Train station is atleast 7 kms from my home and the difference in cost is only $30

Zero102
01-13-2005, 03:22 PM
Don't go with CAA, I've needed 3 tows, all 3 times I found it was faster to call another towing company, and submit the bill. All auto clubs will let you do this, but others cover more of the bill.

CAA tows to the nearest garage, or your house, usually free of charge, it's when you get into other things, like towing to your favorite mechanic across town that they implement the 5km rule, or so they say.

InfiniteJoy
01-13-2005, 06:08 PM
^
I have the AMA Gold card and their tows are to anywhere you want

babs00
01-13-2005, 06:30 PM
AMA Gold Card has a limit of 160 Km while CIBC Auto Club and Canadian tire has 250 Km range. One time, my friend and I got trapped just a few kms away from 'Field' (away from Lake Louise) and AMA Tow truck will only bring upto Banff and to charge extra from thereon.

AMA Website : CAA Plus: Up to 160 kilometres from the point of breakdown in any direction to a repair facility of the member's choice. Dual-wheel campers and motorhomes excluded

babs00
01-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Bump !

babs00
05-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Bump! Any experience with DAA - anyone