PDA

View Full Version : Why is my laptop so damn LOUD??

Weapon_R
01-13-2005, 04:12 PM
The fan is driving me crazy. It's far louder than anyone else's system and I don't understand why.

It's relatively newer, Compaq laptop (P4, 2.4ghz, etc).

Is there any settings I can turn down, or look for other cooling options to quiet this mofo down a bit!

Skylinelover
01-13-2005, 04:32 PM
:werd: mine is loud too. I have a vaio :dunno:

InfiniteJoy
01-13-2005, 04:35 PM
it's just the way laptops are, mine is the same. While Im booting.loading a game/ etc its really loud, sometimes even vibrates on the table. Try, while its booting and such, holding in the CD drive, on mine thats where most of the noise was coming from, the CD drive that was a TINY bit loose.

George_Reyes
01-13-2005, 04:47 PM
the ball bearing in your fan is busted. replace and have fun.

*either that or the inside is dusty, open and clean.

Chester
01-13-2005, 05:24 PM
My laptop fan is really really quiet even when its working at the highest level.

pile_0_crap
01-13-2005, 05:31 PM
sorry for jacking your post but can anyone tell me why all of a sudden my laptop won't play any sound? it's pretty much brand new and i've only had it for 2 months or so

Charon
01-13-2005, 05:43 PM
Personally I would prefer the laptop being loud then quiet and hot. Might even be shitty engineering and it trying to push alot of air through a tight space.

But there may be programs available to give you advanced fan control. There was one available for my dell. Compaq might have one or someone may have built one. I just dont know where !!

ricosuave
01-13-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
The fan is driving me crazy. It's far louder than anyone else's system and I don't understand why.

It's relatively newer, Compaq laptop (P4, 2.4ghz, etc).

Is there any settings I can turn down, or look for other cooling options to quiet this mofo down a bit!

is it still under warranty?

Weapon_R
01-13-2005, 08:28 PM
I imagine it is under warranty actually. My dad gets a new laptop every year from work, and he doesn't use them so I get them. I'm not sure if I want them to look it over though because of this reason lol.

As for the comment "that's just the way things are", it can't end there. My sisters Sait supplied toshiba doesn't utter a sound. My classmates have super quiet fans. It's just my comp that sounds VERY loud. Seriously, it sounds louder than a desktop fan all the time.

Khyron
01-14-2005, 12:03 AM
My dell is dead silent unless the dvd drive is actually spinning. If the processor starts getting really hot the fan can get to the point where I can hear it but that's pretty rare.

I'd just replace the fan as mentioned above.

Khyron

Weapon_R
01-14-2005, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the help - are fans all universal, or should I look for a specific one? Ebay perhaps? Any recommendations? Like I said before, I get these dirty looks in school if I bust out the laptop on rare occaison to surf the net, because it sounds like there is a Cessna in the classroom :D

shakalaka
01-14-2005, 12:07 AM
Both my laptops make the sound only when you turn them on, or when a DVD or something else is playing. Otherwise they are super quiet. One is a Toshiba Sattelite and the other one is Apple Ibook.

Khyron
01-14-2005, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Thanks for the help - are fans all universal, or should I look for a specific one? Ebay perhaps? Any recommendations? Like I said before, I get these dirty looks in school if I bust out the laptop on rare occaison to surf the net, because it sounds like there is a Cessna in the classroom :D

Could be both - search your model on google for fan replacements. There will be one on the rear/side somewhere that's probably a universal square 1 inch or half-inch fan. If there's a separate one for the processor it will probably be less generic.

If you want to be sure that's the cause before ripping the laptop apart, stick a pencil or something to stop the fan from spinning then turn it on - if no noise measure it and go get one from mem express. It's not too hard to take a laptop apart, just don't force anything.

Khyron

wildrice
01-14-2005, 09:33 AM
try checking your power management in control panel

in my power management for my laptop, there's a drop down menu for cooling methods.

i have and option to run my laptop on slient mode, mid performance mode and max performance mode.

try silent mode if u have it

Moonracer
01-14-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
My dell is dead silent unless the dvd drive is actually spinning. If the processor starts getting really hot the fan can get to the point where I can hear it but that's pretty rare.

I'd just replace the fan as mentioned above.

Khyron

:werd: I have a Dell too and I can hardly tell it's on it's so quiet.

DarkDream
01-14-2005, 11:00 AM
you can try using fangui and control the speed of the fan, but then again if you do your laptop might overheat so i guess its up to you......

Carfanman
01-14-2005, 12:23 PM
One thing you can do is get a fan with rubberized bearings. Another thing is to double the amount of fans, and run them at 1/2 the rpms. As far as what kind to get, all that matters is the size of the fan, just take some measuring tape and measure it (in millimeters).

Originally posted by pile_0_crap
sorry for jacking your post but can anyone tell me why all of a sudden my laptop won't play any sound? it's pretty much brand new and i've only had it for 2 months or so

Instead of jacking his post, why dont you start your own thread. Youll get alot more attention that way.

Charon
01-14-2005, 05:13 PM
My dell used to be quiet but HOT, I prefered the noise over the heat. Used to run burn your lap hot and would never turn the fans on. Dell are bad for this. In the bios the fan control is set around (75°C-85°C) for the fans to kick in. I used

A few bits of dell information

Inspiron 8000:
BIOS A17: Inner fan slow speed at 85°C, turned off at 70°C (slow: ~7000RPM, high:~10500RPM)
BIOS A18: Inner fan slow speed at 80°C, turned off at 65°C (slow: ~7000RPM, high:~10500RPM)

Inspiron 8100:
BIOS A03: Inner fan slow speed at 80°C, turned off at 68°C (slow: ~6800RPM, high:~10800RPM)
BIOS A08 & A10: Inner fan slow speed at 80°C, turned off at 68°C (slow: ~7200RPM, high:~11000RPM)

I used the following program to handle fan speeds in the dell.
http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/

A few others that might help
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

I would leave it loud other then times you want it to be quiet, things will last longer... other than the fans which are cheap.

Zero102
01-14-2005, 05:36 PM
I dunno, my Inspiron 600m is very very quiet.
I can't even hear the fan with my ear beside it at low speed, and it's very quiet on high speed.
The fans kick on around 40 degrees, so it always stays nice and cool.

My G/F's cicero is super-loud, I didn't know the fans were more or less universal. I'll change hers as soon as the warranty expires.

Weapon_R
01-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

If you want to be sure that's the cause before ripping the laptop apart, stick a pencil or something to stop the fan from spinning then turn it on - if no noise measure it and go get one from mem express. It's not too hard to take a laptop apart, just don't force anything.

Khyron

I tried it, and now I think there are two fans :(

I can visibly see one spinning when I look at the back of the laptop, so I stopped it with a pen, but the whirring was still there so i'm left to believe that there is another one somewhere.

Khyron
01-14-2005, 06:02 PM
Processor fan then? If it's a true P4 it shouldn't be too hard to get a thin profile Zalman or something. As long as your sure its a fan noise and not a dying harddrive.

Khyron

Charon
01-15-2005, 12:40 AM
Im not saying your inspiron is loud, I was saying they are quiet because "I" feel they do not cool properly and produce obscene amounts of heat.