PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Solo I Series

rpollock
01-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Fellow enthusiasts,

If you want to get your feet wet in a racing environment why not give SOLO I a try? The Calgary Sports Car Club under the WCMA sanctioning authority runs a SOLO I series at Race City, where you can try your hand at road racing on the full track. There is no fender to fender racing, and no passing. It is a timed event, where you try and turn in your best laps under the carefull eye of the clock. Open to any make of sports car.

You will need a helmet, 4-point harness, convertibles will need a roll bar. Cost is $825 and includes a classroom session, a practice day, WCMA Solo I licence, 3 timed race days, and 2 evening lapping sessions.

Proposed days are as follows:
Classroom Session TBA
May 7th Track Practice/School
May 8th Solo I Event #1
June 23rd Lapping Evening
July 9th Solo I Event #2
July 20th Lapping Evening
Aug 6th Solo I Event #3

I encourage anyone who is interested to contact me at [email protected] for further details.

Rick Pollock

rpollock
02-05-2005, 07:50 PM
Bump and revised days as follows:

· May 5 - Solo I Evening Classroom Session
· May 7 - Solo I Roadcourse School
· May 8 - Solo I Event #1
· June 23 - Solo I Evening Lapping
· July 9 - Solo I Event #2
· July 20 - Solo I Evening Lapping
· Sept 10 - Solo I Event #3

Regards,

Rick

Z_Fan
02-20-2005, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by RedBull
Sorry to dig up an old thread, just wondering if any Beyonders will be competining in the Solo1 this year or if anyone has any feedback from attending one. Rather interested myself but was wondering whether its worth the money,
-RedBull

I'm seriously considering it...but I'd also be quick to point out it seemed much more attractive last year...

Specifically because there are only 3 events this year that are timed events. (Last year was 5)

While there is a school and 'lapping' sessions - that's not that attractive when you've already been to several schools and would rather pick up random lapping sessions with various groups throughout the year.

So, basically you've got to pay for those lapping sessions and school as part of the overall fee - which is fine - but then you're locked into them IMO. (You should really go to get the most bang for the buck is what I'm getting at...)

But I think it'd be a lot of fun for sure.

Anyhow, what is currently holding me back is simply it was much more attractive with 5 timed events...but I'll probably go for it anyhow...still thinking...I guess going to another school can never hurt...

RedBull
02-20-2005, 11:30 AM
I've been to three driving schools and running the slalom and stop boxes just isn't my thing anymore. (tires and brakes are expensive:thumbsdow )

The solo1 looked rather interesting but the price is rather high and it would have been much more attactive with the 5 timed events instead of the three. Not to mention I do not own or have a clue as to how a 4-point harness would be mounted in an allready crammed 350z cabin.

Nevertheless this event is still in the running until I can find something better for my money.
-RedBull

Z_Fan
02-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by RedBull
I've been to three driving schools and running the slalom and stop boxes just isn't my thing anymore. (tires and brakes are expensive:thumbsdow )

:werd:

This is my biggest stumbling block too...

I'm sure we're not the only two who feel this way - and we've never participated in Solo 1. Imagine the folks who've been doing it for years...and now they have to go through another school?

But I'm still considering it anyhow...

rpollock
02-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Thought I would mention a couple of items.

You are correct in that you have to run the school, but it includes a full day of lapping, so there is a benefit, most look at it as an opportunity to work on refinement.

I think everyone involved would like to run 5 or more timed days. The problem is that would have pushed us into $1000 plus for the season. The consensus from the participants was for the 3 timed days, 2 lapping evenings and the school.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Rick Pollock
Solo I Director

The_Doctor
02-23-2005, 01:00 AM
Wow, that's a pretty steep price increase, considering the reduction of events...

Was planning on attending this year, but I think I'll just do lapping days instead.

speedracer
02-23-2005, 03:43 AM
There is NEVER enough school time. You will always be surprised when someone points out a driving error or add a technique or the good ole' seat time. That the only way you will improve.

Originally posted by The_Doctor
Wow, that's a pretty steep price increase, considering the reduction of events...

Was planning on attending this year, but I think I'll just do lapping days instead.

It cost money to rent the track, ambulance, track insurance, and saftey marshalls.

If your looking for cheap lapping days - Good luck in that area. Track rental is up and so is track insurance :(

milesmcewing
02-23-2005, 07:33 AM
Don't forget that Solo 1 is a competitive event, It is a series, not just lapping days.

When is the last time anyone paid for a series, a prorally event costs up to $1100 for each event. Road racing can be the same.

lapping days are just seat time, Solo 1 is an opportunity to compete against the crowd to measure your progress and skills.

The school is a great opportunity to hone your technique and have another set of eyes monitor your skills.

All in all still a great deal. (inflation and insurance has just forced it to not be as great a deal as it was)

Just my two cents.

Miles

The_Doctor
02-23-2005, 11:07 AM
I'll agree it's a competitive feel without the fender to fender risk. I've done solo 1 a couple of years here and there isnt much seat time during the event, unlike a lapping day. Great bunch of people out there, lots of help available and a good time.

A complete lapping day is almost a waste, way too much time available on the track and not enough useage. Lapping evenings would probably be a better idea, as for the cost while I just don't feel Race city is worth the money in the first place. I'll be heading down to some tracks in the states, it can cost more but is worth it imo.

Originally posted by Conekilr
Cost: Cost for the series is $575.00 with a deposit of $250.00 due by March 31, 2004. This covers the two-day school, the five events and a WCMA license. Competitors are responsible for CSCC membership fees and pre-season tech at Guyons. There is a transponder rental fee of $15 per event unless participants provide their own (contact John Herbst for purchasing details).

Thats a hefty increase from last year, ~50% increase with less events?

Z_Fan
02-24-2005, 07:20 PM
Is video recording equipment allowed IN or ON the vehicle during Solo I events - or during the lapping sessions that Solo I includes?

Just curious...

barc
03-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Yes, you can have a camcorder in car. Several did in 2004 including myself.
-Barry.

rpollock
03-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Last call - room for a couple more cars. Give it a try, I assure you you won't be dissapointed. Maybe you are the next great undiscovered hot shoe? You won't know until you try it!

Rick

Z_Fan
03-27-2005, 03:50 PM
OK

I have two more questions.

1) Is the schedule now in stone? As in, I noticed the last day had changed from Aug to Sept and I am wondering if that schedule posted in this thread is in fact solid?

2) On the "Lapping" days, are the rules relaxed - as far as - can you bring a different car from what you are doing the Solo 1 events and boot it around the track? And if so, is a full harness required for the Lapping Sessions or can you just get away with the standard seat belt for those days?

Sept 10. is a problem for me - that's why I am wondering!

rpollock
03-28-2005, 10:31 PM
1) Is the schedule now in stone?

Yes

2) On the "Lapping" days, are the rules relaxed - as far as - can you bring a different car from what you are doing the Solo 1 events and boot it around the track? And if so, is a full harness required for the Lapping Sessions or can you just get away with the standard seat belt for those days?

You can bring a different car, however you will still need the 4 pt harness and helmet.

Rick

Z_Fan
03-29-2005, 02:47 PM
^^

Thanks for answering that.

I'm currently trying to work holiday issues around Sept. 10th. I think I will be able to do so too, so it's good. Still got a spot or two left I hope?

Bummer about the 4pt harness though on the lapping days. That is usually not a rule in effect all the lapping days I've been to. So I presume it to be a Solo 1 idea or rule. (Helmet is obvious though)

LOL