PDA

View Full Version : PC performance prollems?

badMotoFinga
01-17-2005, 01:52 AM
So I got my new computer. Its got:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 939
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
Kingston PC3200 CAS3 512MB(x2) DDR
Seagate 120GB SATA HD
MSI Geforce 6600GT PCI-E 128mb Video Card
Nothing is OC'd

So I did my research on the performance capabilities. I noticed from this article,
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1714&page=3
that the MSI Geforce 6600GT card benchmarked at about 3000-3500 on the 3dMark05. However, when I ran the test with no AA nor AF etc, I ended up with a score of 2500. I also tried running Far Cry and its choppy at medium settings when the reviews from various sites suggest it should run decently.

It seems like I'm not getting the right performance considering the hardware. Does anyone have tips to get my system running properly? Or any ideas to why its not up to par with the benchmarks from the reviews?

badMotoFinga
01-17-2005, 02:27 AM
does anyone else have this card? Where do u increase the virtual memory for the vid card? and how do you access the BIOS where u can overclock the processor and video card?

badMotoFinga
01-17-2005, 03:35 AM
also, anyone got any good sites or instructions on optimizing ur PC? Also looking for a good guide towards overclocking.

MerfBall
01-17-2005, 11:53 AM
You can't compare your benchmarks with theirs since they have completely different hardware and most likely software setup. The only fair comparison is to find a benchmark that runs at the least somewhat similar hardware (i.e. AMD setups).

Probably the best place to look for optomizing information is www.asusboards.com and pick your poison.

camby
01-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Do you have the latest drivers? Also FarCry runs bad on a lot of people who have 6600GT's from what I've been hearing. I think they released a patch to correct some of the issues.

iRoNyX
01-17-2005, 06:39 PM
The benchmark is something unimportant and arbitrary, since their hardware is entirely different from yours regardless of your video card.

As for Far Cry, I believe it runs choppy because it was optimized for ATI technology, and you are using GeForce. They probably released a patch to fix the issue as one person mentioned...

See, I run a 32-bit 2400+ with 512 DDR and a Radeon 9800 pro, and I can run Far Cry at freaking high settings with no performance issues at all, so it strikes me as weird that your monster system chops it up.

It could even be something besides your hardware - maybe you have a bunch of useless shit installed and running while you benchmarked and/or played Far Cry.

Definitely look for patches for Far Cry, get the latest drivers for the card, and make sure your PCI Express is properly bussed in your BIOS.

Yeah, hope that helps.

-Dave

badMotoFinga
01-17-2005, 09:29 PM
I figured it out ... all i had to do was run the nVidia nTune program which automatically configured the settings for graphics performance. I also figured out where to overclock here and there. So now it runs Far Cry perfectly at highest setting and the benchmarks came to be in the 7500's. I'm surprised just that would make so much of a difference.

Thanks for ur help