PDA

View Full Version : can someone explain this

nickyh
01-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Last Monday I had a really great workout with my trainer.
We've worked out at higher levels than Monday but as a result of that workout, my bicep/tricep area started to swell and I had limited use of my arms.

Turns out I have Rhabdomyolysis - lucky for me I don't have the myoglobin in my urine. But my Protein levels in my blood are still really high. I was even admitted to hosiptal for further tests and then released.

Has anyone experienced this before? I've done some reading up on it on the net, but other than the high workout I had, I'm at a loss as to how this happened...

Side note: i don't take drugs, steriods or anything like that.
In fact the only thing I am quilty of is having a cup of coffee every so often.

theken
01-17-2005, 02:06 PM
do you have protein in your urine?? you need to drink a hell of alot more water then you are, other then that I have never even heard of that

AcuraTl
01-17-2005, 02:28 PM
i think it basically means that your worked out to much and too heavily, the process of cellular respiration did not work for the lack of O2 reaching your muscles, and lactic acid started to accumate in your blood and muscles, just keep away from any work-outs for a week or so and next time work out slower....

xrayvsn
01-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Basically you worked out so hard that a lot of your muscle cells died in such a way that they flooded your blood with myoglobin. Myoglobin is similar to the hemoglobin in your blood, and helps your body transfer oxygen to the muscle in its normal state.

Rhabdomyolysis is basically breakdown of the muscle in sufficient quantity to release this myoglobin into the blood. This is bad because it can lead to kidney failure. Myoglobin is a big protein, and it can cause damage to your kidney's filtration. If there is enough of it, it will overwhelm your kidneys ability to filter it out, and cause your urine to turn red (hence the word rhabdo - meaning red). Also why they are testing you, and keeping an eye on things.

Usually is associated with trauma, burns, or medication. Elderly people get it when they fall, and lie around for days until someone helps them. Can also be associated with dehydration, and a really vigorous workout. I guess the caffeine did not help you here, as it tends to dehydrate you.

nickyh
01-24-2005, 07:31 AM
I went to the doc last week for a follow up exam - he showed me my lab work:
normal protein range 0-170, I was at 45170.

I am just thankful that the test for protein in my urine came back negative each time - which is odd considering how high my protein count really was.

What really sucks about this, i was in training to do a show in the spring. Oh well, there's always next year.

As for the coffee thing - I only drink two cups a week.

Wildcat
01-24-2005, 11:13 AM
^what kind of show were you training for?

nickyh
01-24-2005, 12:57 PM
FAME PRAIRIES, i had planned on entering the Figure category.
Posing as well as a small routine.

It's held by World Natural Sports Organiztion - all nautal.

Wildcat
01-24-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by nickyh
FAME PRAIRIES, i had planned on entering the Figure category.
Posing as well as a small routine.

It's held by World Natural Sports Organiztion - all nautal.

ahh i see, i thought you were a guy. i didnt know the figure category required a routine, is there a fitness category? i assumed thats were a routine would be required. i dont know much about the topic actually..

00redLUDE
01-24-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by nickyh
I went to the doc last week for a follow up exam - he showed me my lab work:
normal protein range 0-170, I was at 45170.

I am just thankful that the test for protein in my urine came back negative each time - which is odd considering how high my protein count really was.

What really sucks about this, i was in training to do a show in the spring. Oh well, there's always next year.

As for the coffee thing - I only drink two cups a week.

That's really interesting. Just a few questions for you, if you don't mind. Did your doctor do any other tests besides total protein? In particular, was an alkaline phosphatase, alanine aminotransferase (ALT), albumin, creatinine (Cr), and esp. creatine kinase (CK) tested for as well? If your doctor did were they all normal or was there anything else abnormal? You said there was no protein in your urine test but was there anything else in the urine such as blood, or ketones?

Also, do you use a great deal of protein powder in your diet? If so what type of protein powder (whey, soy, etc) and how much. Same thing for creatine powder?

Hope your symptoms are settling down for you now. Feel free to pm the info. if that's better for you.

nickyh
01-25-2005, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat

ahh i see, i thought you were a guy. i didnt know the figure category required a routine, is there a fitness category? i assumed thats were a routine would be required. i dont know much about the topic actually..

There are actually about 12 categories now!
Check out www.wnso.com

nickyh
01-25-2005, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by 00redLUDE

That's really interesting. Just a few questions for you, if you don't mind. Did your doctor do any other tests besides total protein? In particular, was an alkaline phosphatase, alanine aminotransferase (ALT), albumin, creatinine (Cr), and esp. creatine kinase (CK) tested for as well? If your doctor did were they all normal or was there anything else abnormal? You said there was no protein in your urine test but was there anything else in the urine such as blood, or ketones?

Also, do you use a great deal of protein powder in your diet? If so what type of protein powder (whey, soy, etc) and how much. Same thing for creatine powder?

Hope your symptoms are settling down for you now. Feel free to pm the info. if that's better for you.

There were a whole range of tests done - about 7 total. I know creatine was one for sure as well as the CK. He only shared the protein level 'cause it was the one that was so high.
As for protein powder (I use Whey) - I'd run out about 3 weeks ago and only used every so often. I was doing the egg white and tuna thing. Tyring to limit calories and concentrate on good proteins limits how much I want to put in my body.

Doing better - thanks for asking! I stated my cardio regime yesterday & next week I'll be back on the weights.