PDA

View Full Version : Technical School

paulsaddress5
01-17-2005, 06:04 PM
im havin a delema because i am currently in high school and my high school offers a program where they will fully pay for you to go to technical school any course you want, it is part time, so i would go to technical school in the morning and regular school in the afternoon, Each year of tech college you take is 5 credits which is a hell of alot of credits, i have the chance to take anything i want for 2 years for free, my parents also have 20000 dollars for me to go to university, but i do not like school and would much rather go to technical college, so i am pretty sure i made my mind up on technical college, but i am not sure what i want to take. i was thinking auto mechanics because i love cars and that, but i was talking to my power mechanics teacher and other people and they said tried to turn me away from that because they said the money isnt great, it isnt unionized, and the working conditions are not great. I am still thinking of going for auto mechanics, but after reading another thread about electrician it got me thinking, i was also thinking plumber, does anyone have any advice or information on what i should do. thanks

Weapon_R
01-17-2005, 07:58 PM
If you love mechanics, take mechanics. There will always be a demand for them and the pay is great.

Letting money dictate what you want to do isn't the right way to go about things. Do what you want because you love doing it, not because of what you will be making.

paulsaddress5
01-17-2005, 09:15 PM
yea but everyone i talk to says there will not be a need for mechanics unless you want to operate a computer all day

AllGoNoShow
01-20-2005, 01:28 AM
There will be a need for mechanics, one way or another, if you stay up2date with chanigng automotive technologies you should be good to go because you will know the new stuff which others don't or haven't bothered to learn yet. You may not be doing AS much hands on as sya back in the 70's etc.. when there was tons of mechanical and little electrical/computerized things, but you willl still be doing mechanical work, just via acomputer for more and more stuff, but someone has to know how to do it and how to do it right.

pressure_ratio
01-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Compared to other trades,an auto tech isn't all that great,I did it for quite a few years when i was younger.If you go to a dealership the money is better but most independant shops don't pay as well.It's also really cutthroat working flatrate,most guys are sick of it by their third year.I've since moved on to being a millwright,I find it way more interesting and satifying.The money is better and most guys still love the trade even after doing it for years.:thumbsup: