PDA

View Full Version : Shaw Cable Vs Telus DSL by chinook

dhrider
01-17-2005, 09:26 PM
Wondering what everyone thinks is better.

eblend
01-17-2005, 11:55 PM
i would recomend dsl over shaw anyday...i had shaw for 5 years...now have dsl for 3....sure dsl may be a lil slower sometimes...but dude, i would rather be able to download all i want, use my bandwidth all i want and not get the damn shaw ppl calling me every week telling me to cut down on my downloads or else they gonna cut me off...i didn't let them have that satisfaction..i cut myself off from them and been a happy dsl customer ever since. ppl always say that shaw has better support and all that....thats cuz noone ever talks to telus support...cuz dsl is always up..unlike shaw (from my experiences..its either working or not, even when the cable light is on)

hjr
01-18-2005, 12:01 AM
the average person does not reach the shaw cap. there are a fair amount of people that do, but it really isnt an issue for the majority of people.

BebeAphrodite
01-18-2005, 12:04 AM
I prefer shaw for myself
I've only had experience in Edgemont but dsl was noticeably slower loading webpages. I don't do much downloading but I liked the page loading immediately which dsl didn't always do. We had shaw for 3 years, went to dsl for 6 months when it was promoed, then went back to shaw after the cheap trial. ha ha ha

GoChris
01-18-2005, 12:12 AM
I lived right across the street from chinook.

DSL barely worked there, they said they had to lower the speed so it would be stable, so I ended up switching to shaw.

I still got about 100k/s download tho.

soupey
01-18-2005, 12:13 AM
i have shaw right now, not many problems, but telus was much more hassle free, less downtime, and less hassle about going over the download/upload cap....

dhrider
01-18-2005, 12:34 AM
ya thats what i hear so far, cable is faster than dsl but the downtime and downloading thing worries me. Im a rampid Dwnlder. But i think we will go with shaw cause we get tv with that and we already have cells so we dont need the phone line.

Melinda
01-18-2005, 12:39 AM
I live less than 5 mins from Chinook and we use DSL...no problems so far in 5 years or so :)

googe
01-18-2005, 02:41 AM
dont get shaw for cable, get 3web

they just resell shaw and charge way less

dragonone
01-18-2005, 03:42 AM
but 3web is such a small company
they buy their service from shaw
so any shaw limitations will apply to 3web

and they've had more than enuf shortages

sputnik
01-18-2005, 07:43 AM
In my area...

DSL = 120 kB/s
Cable = 500+ kB/s

I think the choice is obvious. I have also had no outages in my area in the past year and a half.

Fusion
01-18-2005, 08:13 AM
DSL too Slow..........:thumbsdow

dragonone
01-18-2005, 09:16 AM
read the reviews and forums on broadbandreview
what ur exp. doesn't mean other ppl are exp.
and depending on what u use ur net for
high speed on shaw could just mean getting that phone call earlier

googe
01-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by dragonone
but 3web is such a small company
they buy their service from shaw
so any shaw limitations will apply to 3web

and they've had more than enuf shortages

what does that have to do with anything?

i didnt say they are better than shaw, i said they are selling shaw, for a lot cheaper...so if you were going to consider shaw, you should rule shaw out and just pay 3web less for the same product :)

ive been with shaw/3web for like 4 years in 2 different neighborhoods and never had issues, and i do use it every day. dunno where all these unreliability stories come from?

shaw in the neighborhood im in now though is capped at 360K/sec :( which is still twice as fast as DSL, but the uncapped speed in my last area was nice :)

sputnik
01-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by googe

what does that have to do with anything?

i didnt say they are better than shaw, i said they are selling shaw, for a lot cheaper...so if you were going to consider shaw, you should rule shaw out and just pay 3web less for the same product :)

ive been with shaw/3web for like 4 years in 2 different neighborhoods and never had issues, and i do use it every day. dunno where all these unreliability stories come from?

shaw in the neighborhood im in now though is capped at 360K/sec :( which is still twice as fast as DSL, but the uncapped speed in my last area was nice :)

Shaw is only cheaper than 3web if you dont have cable TV. For me I bundle all of my Shaw services and it is considerably cheaper than getting cable TV from Shaw and 3web for internet.