PDA

View Full Version : Calorie count to Creatine?

Tyler883
01-18-2005, 01:39 AM
Hey, if I take creatine, it will carry more energy to be stored in muscles along with a superhydration thing, right?

Anyway, where does this energy come from? ie Where do the calories come from?

I want to use creatine for its known benefits, but if it packs a whopping calorie count to my diet, then it might be undermining my weight loss efforts........does anyone know the full details? I would sure like to know exactly how this stuff works.

shakalaka
01-18-2005, 01:50 AM
If you just google your questions I am sure you will get a better explanation then anyone else can give you on here. It will save your time waiting for responses and other peoples time as well.

rahim
01-18-2005, 03:10 AM
Well seeing as how fat is the most calorie dense food product at 9 cals a gram, at most you would be ingesting 45 calories at the recommened 5g serving, but it is less so don't worry about it.

Your muscles use ATP as their source of energy, when you use this stored energy the ATP is converted to ADP, when the creatine is in your muscles it can bond with the ADP and change it back to ATP, so it makes your muscles more efficent, it doesn't add energy.

You will gain weight from creatine but not in the form of fat or muscle, it will add water, it may make you look softer but within a few weeks of removing it from your diet the water will be gone with no extra work from you.

The way I see it there is no downside to creatine and it has been proven as a safe and effective supplement, some people do not respond to creatine, but since it is so cheap you can buy a tub and find out if it works for you, if not, you're only out $40.

JeremyD
01-18-2005, 09:40 AM
you need sugars to process and transport creatine. I think the average mix that i have seen is about 145 cal per drink. It depends on what you use to mix it with.

I don't know if creatine itself has a measurable about of calories. It is like taking vitamins. You rarely see a calorie count for those.

rahim
01-18-2005, 02:16 PM
don't bother with the mixes, just throw it in a glass of juice, grape juice is best but koolaid or gatorade work too

lint
01-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by JeremyD
you need sugars to process and transport creatine. I think the average mix that i have seen is about 145 cal per drink. It depends on what you use to mix it with.

Originally posted by rahim
don't bother with the mixes, just throw it in a glass of juice, grape juice is best but koolaid or gatorade work too

Do you read before you post? When you "throw it in a glass of juice", you are mixing it, and whether the choice is grape juice or koolaid, that will determine the number of calories. What the poster above you was trying to say.

rahim
01-18-2005, 04:39 PM
do you read before you post? he said

"average mix that i have seen is about 145 cal"

he is talking about the premixed flavoured creatine, so how about you go make your useless posts somewhere else

lint
01-18-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by rahim
do you read before you post? he said

"average mix that i have seen is about 145 cal"

he is talking about the premixed flavoured creatine, so how about you go make your useless posts somewhere else

He said "you need sugars to process and transport creatine"and "It depends on what you use to mix it with." (ie. juice, koolaid, gravy, etc). No mention of specific creatine mixes in regards to calories.

BumpinTalon
01-19-2005, 09:08 PM
don't mix with grape juice, it offsets the effect of the creatine through one way or another. as well, when you are working out, it is counter-productive to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. go for one or the other. or I guess you could go on the juice, because that is a proven way to make gigantic muscle mass gains while lowering your body fat percentage substantially.

JeremyD
01-20-2005, 09:51 AM
Edit: Most I have read

http://www.supplementscanada.com/whatis_creatine.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dimaggio2.htm
(there a few other sites (can't find at the moment) plus what I have on my bottle at home)

on Creatine says that Grape Juice is the best to mix has it has the highest glycemic index of any juices. The only thing better is to mix with pure dextrose.

Orange Juice shouldn't be used as it negates the effects of creatine.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/animalpak22.htm - this recommends other methods depending on what your diet is like. Which makes sense too.