Basic Starter Installation
2WAY 900MHZ LCD Remote
RT 2way FM Antenna
Park Light Flash
120 db 6 Tone Siren
DUal Guard Impact Sensor
Remote keyless Door Lock
2 LCD Blue LIghts

some kind of Arctic Start Remote (1 mile range) assume that it is unobstructued :)

paid 740.00 at Quinn Security Calgary Alberta

Strugari
01-19-2005, 08:23 AM
That depends on a variety of areas. Make and model of vehicle. Standard or Automatic, Factory anti-theft immobilizer?
All these things contribute to the price of an install.
It is usually better to get prices from two or three installers before deciding. Compare prices before you get it installed.
If the alarm/starter works great and you are happy with it, a few bucks on the price should not be an issue.
I sell alarm/starter combos from $499.00 to $700.00 depending on the modules and options necessary for the install.:thumbsup:

Aleks
01-19-2005, 10:02 AM
I have all the things you have with my compustar, on my 99 std integra. I paid 450 installed

kodiack12345
01-19-2005, 10:46 AM
The make is Honda, year 1997, model Accord EX

jdmakkord
01-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by kodiack12345
The make is Honda, year 1997, model Accord EX

I got my compustar with every available option installed on my 1997 accord ex-r, standard, for half of what you payed. You my friend, got jacked!

QuasarCav
01-19-2005, 11:00 AM

I think I found the problem.

2002civic
01-19-2005, 11:04 AM
haha wow you could of at least waited for their"free alarm" draws at all the car shows and it woulda only cost you 500 bucks

PorknBeans
01-19-2005, 11:26 AM
That is some mad ripage. Seriously. I don't know how they can charge so much for the install when its not that hard to do yourself! (You have to know a little bit about you car though)

Godfuader
01-19-2005, 11:40 AM

welcome to the world of Quinn Security. Absolute and complete garbage. Prices are ridiculous. my buddy got hosed for $625 (had the "free" alarm coupon) for a one-way alarm system and when asked about some sort of indicating light like a single red led....it was $87. they "warranty" your remote too, but not if u lose it (thats $75).

Terrible company with negative reviews from everyone who paid less that $1000 for their install. NEVER go there! :guns:

kodiack12345
01-19-2005, 02:00 PM
Try 150 dollars for the remote, thats what they quoted me for the second one, I am like no way i am paying for that. I just found out that the install doesn't even have kill start. So people can still drive my car away with the siren on LOL. Man i feel so bad, i guess word of mouth referals does not cut it anymore. All i know is I heard good things about the workman ship (Now i don't know if thats even true). But as long as they didn't do any damange to my car during the install and the installation seems pretty decent, everything has been nicely secured back so i guess it is ok. Plus i heard bad things about futureshop, visions, a & b sound so I thought quinn would be a good place to go since they specialize only in car security. Well at least i got 2 led lights..........

I feel crappy.............. :|

Weapon_R
01-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Wow, sorry to be so negative, but you got raped!

That is a no name brand alarm system and you paid $740? Our sponsors install the compustar (or other competing brands) for $499 with all of the bells and whistles or less!

And those brands are far better than "RT3000".

kodiack12345
01-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Another thing i found funny is that they haev the consumer choice award hanging on the wall and i think is like 2005. Makes me wonder as well. This company reminds me of international stereo and their nuance speakers for the who knows what i am talking about.

Nufy
01-19-2005, 02:25 PM
Yeah I got hosed by one of those free coupon things as well.

I actually bought one off of a charity website a few years back to put a remote starter in my wifes van.

The thing fried itself three times and than they told me that they should'nt have installed it in my van as they are not compatible.

"Well why the FCUK couldn't they tell me that when I first brought it to them"

Any way they tried to screw me with a new starter for full price until I told them no and that I would keep bringing it back to be replaced until they upgraded me for free.

We kinda met in the middle and they swapped in a new different unit for about 50 bux.

I have told everyone I know about my little saga.

feel free to spread the news...

QUINN Sucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QuasarCav
01-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Search this board for "quinn", you can read some interesting reviews.

kodiack12345
01-19-2005, 02:30 PM
now everytime i think about it now pisses me off even more. Even though i budgeted 1000 dollar for myself to spend on alarms and start, still this is a complete rip off, even for my 2 way radio. I think I am going to get my IT team to create a Auto shop web site dedicated for Calgary and Edmonton just for people to place credit ratings on these f*ckers like them like they do with credit cards. So the public can search on them and see their rates and facts and stories in an more organized ways.

Speed_69
01-19-2005, 02:47 PM
now everytime i think about it now pisses me off even more. Even though i budgeted 1000 dollar for myself to spend on alarms and start, still this is a complete rip off, even for my 2 way radio. I think I am going to get my IT team to create a Auto shop web site dedicated for Calgary and Edmonton just for people to place credit ratings on these f*ckers like them like they do with credit cards. So the public can search on them and see their rates and facts and stories in an more organized ways.

sounds like a good idea!! you should do that

Mad$ella
01-19-2005, 02:51 PM
BONED!

2.0turbo
01-19-2005, 03:34 PM
I knew that this about Quinn Security as soon as I read the title. Sorry to hear about it. I can't belive that they still have a business in Calgary. Nothing but a bunch of rip offs. I fucking hate Quinn. They tried to take me on their "free alarm" thing. The got some money from me and I got a piece of shit alarm that I ended up doing all the work on afterwords so that the alarm would go off when the door was opened. Idiots. I have heard that they also will go steal your shit so don't give them your correct address.

kodiack12345
01-19-2005, 04:07 PM
Well, at least i didn't go for the free alarm thing, that would of pissed me off quite a bit.

Obscura
01-19-2005, 04:14 PM
a friend and I both "won" the free alarm from Quinn.

I went down to check them out and ask questions and was surprised at how much of a scam the offer was.

I listened to the salesman defend their crap alarm to some poor guy that had spent alomost $800. only to have most of it not work consistantly of properly.

They really should be out of business...

Sorry to read you had to deal with them..

2002civic
01-19-2005, 04:47 PM
haha you your buddy and 9/10 of all ppl that enter get a phone call, and if they sell 100 "free" alarms theyre laughing

'93 SR-V
01-19-2005, 05:29 PM
As you already know, you got F'd. But just out of curiosity, how did they break down the price? I have the same alarm, and I think I paid $250 for the unit, $125 for labor. Adding the door lock option was like $25, trunk pin was another $25 and the starter kill was $25 again. All said and done I paid $450 plus tax. Keep in mind this was by impressions who took the liberty of scratching the paint on the door (just repainted a week earlier) and cracking my kick panel. Of course I should mention that I had to bring it back twice as they didn’t do the trunk pin the first time (just charged me for it), and the hood pin was placed in such a way that it could get caught on some loom tubing and not trigger when the hood was opened.

I thought I got screwed around, but wow!

GTS Jeff
01-19-2005, 06:24 PM
now everytime i think about it now pisses me off even more. Even though i budgeted 1000 dollar for myself to spend on alarms and start damn! u can have pretty much cream of the crop alarm/starter installed well for about 500!

offroaderdodge
01-19-2005, 09:16 PM
As an installer/small town mechanic i manage to sell a few remote units and i have installed many different brands-but 740 seems a little steep,unless its an import with a passive anti-theft system or a new chrysler.bear in mind it sounds lik this outfit has raked a few over the coals,i make out pretty good when i sell a 2-way unit installed for 450-500 it does sound like the typical up-sell outfit that i have seen in winnipeg,i went to buy a siren from best buy ,their cheapest one was 37.00,and i could sell same thing for 12.00 (sick puppies i thought)silly thing is people are happy to pay it.no offence intended.remember if it works well,its still worth it.

kodiack12345
01-22-2005, 07:25 PM
I took my car for inspection today by another alarm installer and was quite shocked. The cpu brain was just hanging there around the brakes which i didn't notice, no security sensor in the back truck, no start kill. WHy bother getting an alarm at all . F***king Quinn. I seriously don't know how they get their consumer choice award. This is rediculous.

(Officially Pissed off)

garagefujimoto
01-22-2005, 08:06 PM
yep you got hosed
hope you are still walking straight

Barking_Spidre
01-23-2005, 09:36 PM
You should've asked before you did it.

Ajay
01-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Like others on here I'm gonna say it too. You got worked for that price.

I paid $450 plus GST to get my Compustar installed with starter kill, hood, door, and trunk pins but I don't have remote unlock because my car doesn't have power door locks.

For that price a buddy of mine got the Viper 2 Way installed at Soundsaround of all places in his GMC truck.

TurboMedic
01-24-2005, 02:02 PM
I knew it was quinn all along too, when I was 18 I worked there (got fired, I guess I wasn't a sheep), he would charge rediculous amounts for alarms and installs, and pay the lackies (me at the time) next to nothing.....when I was there, basic install was $100, I got $15 of that.....and performance pay only, no hourly, so if there were no cars in the shop, we made nothing, and coudn't leave!!!! I will defend Quinn on one aspect, and that was the quality of installs (that may have changed now), everything was soldered, wrapped, tucked, and had to look factory when we were done under there (very strict then)....I would not go there myself, no brand name units, I'm sure he gets them dirt cheap (buys them by the thousands)......and I got fired because I was vocal about the fact that I could hardly pay rent, worked 6 days a week, over 12 hours a day, all my own tools, and the owner lived in a big house in douglasdale, had a viper, a GSXR, a big 4x4, money galore, but couldn't pay us more....I agree, fuck quinn

Nissanaddict
04-10-2005, 11:51 PM
Wow, I heard one good review on them before....but now, I won't go there...in fact I never planned to, I install that myself.

bbcustoms
04-11-2005, 12:05 AM
Sorry about your luck
I went to grand car audio and had an alarm w/starter w/power locks all installed for $300
The unit is no name but it still works great and he did a great job on the install

SikAssR1
04-11-2005, 12:20 AM
I can't believe some people still don't shop around....Also I can;t believe Quinn is still in business.

JJLuke
04-19-2005, 11:07 PM
at $100 for labor, their free certificate is not too shabby all things considered. When I worked at Future Shop, their cheap alarm was $70 for cost + 10%

All you need to do is go to Future Shop after and ask to buy a replacement LED or go to Active Components and get one for $5, then install that... boom, good to go! the problem is with Quinn is that if you want any more options, they actually yank out the wires they dont need on the alarm. If you want starter kill it's $25 or whatever, so $130 tops you get a semi half decent alarm. but you only get one remote, those fcuks. Lose that and you're hosed!

Khyron
04-19-2005, 11:36 PM
Just for reference though, my compustar loaded was around 800 installed at audio concepts. And that's about the right rate for a mk4 VW.

Khyron

silvercivicsir
04-20-2005, 02:56 PM
seems a little steep @ 800.

Volkswagen are not that hard some querks, but not impossible. No multiplex...

Even with with the transponder bypass, the most I would except to pay would be 600..

Gondi Stylez
04-20-2005, 11:24 PM
yea sorry to hear about ur luck! u really grabbed ur ankles hard at Quinn doin it with them!

anyways next time shop around and im sure u could have gotten a 2 way compustar w/ EVERYTHING for 450-500! i know a couple of beyond sponsers do it for this price on a regular basis.

i won one of those free alarms at WofW a couple years ago and i took my car there and he told me some outrageous amount! i argued a little then finally said "Fuck you" and walked out! Horrible people and even worst business ethics and hurendous prices!

a couple months later he walked into the bottle depot and i threw his bottles back at him! asshole!! :guns:

lesson learned!