PDA

View Full Version : bike protection

peter.pan
01-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Just wondering how you guys protect your bikes agains theft. I will be moving into an appartment building with underground parking and am worried that it might get jacked. Let me know what is good out there. Thanx in advance.

Neons4life
01-20-2005, 11:10 AM
I am also in underground parking.

In your stall you should have an anchor with a ring on it that you can chain things to. So I went out and got a few chains and I have chained both wheels to it.

This fellow from the Groundpilots got his bike stolen not to long ago from underground parking.

Also might help if you keep a cover on it. I always keep mine on it no matter what.

DownUnder
02-14-2005, 12:15 AM
Like Neons4life said the best thing to do is to chain the bike down. You can buy a good heavy chain with a nylon or plastic cover from a dealer for like 70-100 bucks.

If ya have nothing to chain it to then I would go with an alarm, you can get a basic Alarm Guard or something similar for like $300 and up or so. A disc lock with a built in alarm works not bad too.

Markopolian
02-24-2005, 02:29 PM
get a place with an attached garage. That way in order for them to steal your bike they would have to break through your house first then to your garage and most likely the thiefs arnt going to go that far. home alarm system + bike alarm and chained down. Your safe :)

X_plorer
03-06-2005, 03:02 PM
If it is underground parking, can you chain to to a pillar or support column somehow? As well if you get a cover on your bike, get one that you can lock down so no one can lift it off and mess around. I lived in an apartment that had a double car garage under it with no overhead door. We use to park the bike at the back of the garage and then park the car as close as possible in front of it. I did have a cover on it and it wasn' t locked closed and one morning the cover was all off the bike and the side view mirror was snapped off, I think somone was trying to pull it out of the garage.

TypeSly
03-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Markopolian
get a place with an attached garage. That way in order for them to steal your bike they would have to break through your house first then to your garage and most likely the thiefs arnt going to go that far. home alarm system + bike alarm and chained down. Your safe :)

This is not an option for some of us :(

SportTwin
03-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Padlock $60 (from a real locksmith, not Walmart or Zellers)
Ring Lock (with metal plate) $20 from a welding shop
1500 coated aluminum aircraft Cable $25 (from Cyclepath)
Misc parts like anchors and such: $5

It all adds up to cheap insurance. I rent the place I'm in now and they guys I rent from had no problem with me putting this in, but I leave it installed when I move (out $25, but who cares).

Once of my next purchases is going to be this (http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=406904&store=Main&productId=p406904&catId=417&leafCatId=41702) for while I can't lock the bike up. When you've got an investment as easy to walk off with as a bike, taking precautions just makes sense.