PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Coyotees on "standby"

Aleks
01-20-2005, 02:45 PM
Maybe just maybe something gets done today! and we get hockey back.

http://www.sportsnet.ca
:dunno:

Impreza
01-20-2005, 03:11 PM
A shortened NHL season would be awesome! hell, any hockey is awesome. A shortened season would be good since every game means so much

roopi
01-20-2005, 03:17 PM
:eek:

Newk
01-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Hell yea hockey:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .

Anything would be good now .
I think this lockout is really going to hurt hockey in the south though.

We gots us a real short tenshun span round here.

sin
01-20-2005, 03:28 PM
I sure hope this is actually a sign hockey is coming back...

bspot
01-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Coyotes deny everything:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=111998

Aleks
01-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Awhhh man...:(

gggunit
01-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
Awhhh man...:(

That blows goats :thumbsdow .. I was so excited dahm player:whipped:

Newk
01-20-2005, 05:02 PM
Thats to be expected, its the American way: deny everything.
still hope though, this black ops negotioation still ongoing.

If they dont break the lockout soon I'm afraid we might lose our team.

bspot
01-20-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Newk

I heard either your owner/GM interviewed and it sounds like they are quite commited to hanging out until they can get cost certainty.

Hopefully you guys will still be around :thumbsup:

gggunit
01-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Newk

We wont lose our team (flames), there are other teams that are struggling.. like pitsburg, washington. and some others aswell

Newk
01-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by bspot

I heard either your owner/GM interviewed and it sounds like they are quite commited to hanging out until they can get cost certainty.

Hopefully you guys will still be around :thumbsup:

Aint it funny that the salery cap they want is so close to what he pays for them.

hockeybronx
01-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
A shortened NHL season would be awesome! hell, any hockey is awesome. A shortened season would be good since every game means so much

Originally posted by sin
I sure hope this is actually a sign hockey is coming back...

I'm definetely not holding my breath. I mean sure I'd love to have my Saturday nights back to the way they should be, but but the people who count are way too far away from being on the same page.

BumpinTalon
01-20-2005, 11:14 PM
i say fold every american team and bring the sport back to canada. that's the way to do it. get rid of the american egos and american dollars, and all of the sudden it's a good sport again.

gongSHOW
01-20-2005, 11:49 PM
^ and all of a sudden the league goes into an even worse state. With what little tv contracts the league has severing the american ones would only ultimately kill the sport. I know you were probably joking but just some food for thought

hockeybronx
01-21-2005, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
i say fold every american team and bring the sport back to canada. that's the way to do it. get rid of the american egos and american dollars, and all of the sudden it's a good sport again.

Originally posted by gongSHOW
^ and all of a sudden the league goes into an even worse state. With what little tv contracts the league has severing the american ones would only ultimately kill the sport. I know you were probably joking but just some food for thought

gongSHOW, you answered that perfectly. Lets face it, we need the exposure, marketing, and coverage from the States. They don't even call it our official sport anymore.

hjr
01-21-2005, 10:41 AM
fuck em alll. have you been watching the swedish elite league? thats far better hockey on par than i saw the oilers or calgary play. It really suprised me how exciting the game is over there. Not to mention junior a? calgary has 2 of its very own ajhl teams (my bro and cuzzzzin are on the canucks) which is also pretty good hockey. If the season returns, i certainly wont be reterning to my team of choice just so quick. the sport should be based around the fans, and as the owners AND players have shown, they really dont think it is, each believing they are the most important cog in the wheel...

civicrider
01-21-2005, 11:01 AM
the only thing that im hoping to get out of this is that a bunch of those stupid expansion teams go bankrupt and leave, then next years hockey will be alot better. too many damn teams out there and for the most part they suck

get rid of

blue jackets
thrashers
hurricanes
nashville
wild

less teams = better hockey.

i

bspot
01-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by civicrider
the only thing that im hoping to get out of this is that a bunch of those stupid expansion teams go bankrupt and leave, then next years hockey will be alot better. too many damn teams out there and for the most part they suck

get rid of

blue jackets
thrashers
hurricanes
nashville
wild

less teams = better hockey.

i

Why do you say better hockey?

Getting rid of those teams is a sure way to put scoring down even more.

civicrider
01-21-2005, 11:15 AM

Why do you say better hockey?

Getting rid of those teams is a sure way to put scoring down even more.

because with less teams the teams that stay will have better players because they arnt scattered across as many teams, so the teams will be better to watch. maybe its just my opinion but i dont like watching the new teams play.

colinderksen
01-21-2005, 11:47 AM
I don't mind the Wyld(nice uni's), plus they sell out almost every game, they love hockey there just as much as Canada.

Hockey has never been our national sport. It has always been our national passtime, lacross is called out nation sport. However that works? :dunno:

Getting rid of the american dollar would kill hockey, every player gets paid in american dollars.

bspot
01-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by civicrider

because with less teams the teams that stay will have better players because they arnt scattered across as many teams, so the teams will be better to watch. maybe its just my opinion but i dont like watching the new teams play.

If you are the type of guy that appreciates a well played 0-0 tie more than a sloppy 7-4 win, you are a TRUE hockeyfan :thumbsup:

I do think the wild need to stay though for sure. Minnesota is a hockey crazy town, they have had great attendance for shitty/boring teams.

Nashville had really strong attendance at the end of last year too. I guess for me, I remember when the flames were in trouble and could have easily been one of the teams cut out, I wouldn't want to do that to anyone else.

Ajay
01-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by colinderksen
I
Hockey has never been our national sport. It has always been our national passtime, lacross is called out nation sport. However that works? :dunno:

Lacrosse is no longer our national sport...it has been changed to hockey cause ALOT more people play hockey in this country as opposed to Lacrosse.

If you are the type of guy that appreciates a well played 0-0 tie more than a sloppy 7-4 win, you are a TRUE hockeyfan :thumbsup:

I do think the wild need to stay though for sure. Minnesota is a hockey crazy town, they have had great attendance for shitty/boring teams.

Nashville had really strong attendance at the end of last year too. I guess for me, I remember when the flames were in trouble and could have easily been one of the teams cut out, I wouldn't want to do that to anyone else.

One of the reasons we're at this situation of a lockout is because Bettman went on a spree of expanding the league to all these different areas (i.e. Nashville, Carolina, etc.) Those places aren't hockey towns, they relish in college basketball and football if anything. Bettman in my opinion was a better executive for the NBA then for the NHL.

I think eventually some of those expansion teams will contract and I can't say I'de be sorry to see them go. The whole idea of having those teams was to create a stir in the US for hockey....that obviously didn't work when poker gets better ratings than the NHL in the US. The NHL does need less teams than it currently has and unfortanetly some of those teams are going to have to go in a couple of years. Maybe not contraction but at least give city's that are actual hockey towns a chance to have a team (i.e. Winnipeg).

Whatever though...hopefully we will see at least a shortened season this year. Even during WWII they played hockey!

civicrider
01-21-2005, 12:46 PM

exactaly watching a close game thats intense beats a high scoring game any day. for instance the canada russia game the goals were nice and all but its not exciting because its not even close.
its great to see that those teams are having a good turnout to their games, but still i think hockey would get better for everyone else if they cut down the amount of NHL teams.

5.9 R/T
01-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by hjr
fuck em alll. have you been watching the swedish elite league? thats far better hockey on par than i saw the oilers or calgary play. It really suprised me how exciting the game is over there. Not to mention junior a? calgary has 2 of its very own ajhl teams (my bro and cuzzzzin are on the canucks) which is also pretty good hockey. If the season returns, i certainly wont be reterning to my team of choice just so quick. the sport should be based around the fans, and as the owners AND players have shown, they really dont think it is, each believing they are the most important cog in the wheel...

You mean the swedish pansy league? Sorry to say but that hockey is crap. Hockey is meant to be a physical sport mixed with finesse. I'm not saying the NHL style play is perfect, I much perfer major junior style, but at least there is a mix in style of play.