PDA

View Full Version : Accounting

dips87
01-20-2005, 04:04 PM
I've seen alot of poeple on here talking about accounting. I was wondering where poeple took the courses and how well they were.

I plan on goin to sait and was wondering what the course name is that poeple who went there took.

Any extra training or courses that i can take to further improve the skills i will need would be get. As i want to become charted accountant in a couple of years.

in*10*se
01-20-2005, 05:08 PM
you can only be a CA through an acredited university degree. The only other place that you can become a CA is through MRC's accounting program... sait is NOT where you want to go, unless u are doing correspodence through U of lethbridge

as you go through university or MRC you need to ensure you take the proper courses to get into the CA school of business (CASB) after graduation and working with a CA firm.

http://casb.com/index.php3?catid=60

dips87
01-20-2005, 06:06 PM
what course do u take at mount royal to become a charted accountant?

SteveMo600
01-20-2005, 06:08 PM
^ He's right. The way to become a Chartered Accountant is to get a BCOMM University degree specializing in Accounting. I am in the BCOMM program and I took accounting last semester. My plan when I started post secondary was to become a CA but after I took one accounting course I realized that it wasn't for me. Accounting is a good program but you've got to be the right person for it. Make sure you get a taste of it before you go balls first into the program.

in*10*se
01-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by dips87
what course do u take at mount royal to become a charted accountant?

it's not "one" course to become a CA

it's a 4 year business degree majoring in accounting (look at the required courses online it'll tell you)

and then another 30 months with a CA firm articling as a student and while working taking modules from CASB or finishing the MPAcc program... then write the Universal Exam (UE) which is a 3 day exam... which is the hardest thing you will ever write...

WWJAI
01-21-2005, 10:58 AM
If you finish the accounting degree and in the future...you don't end up getting a designation like a CA, CGA, CMA.....is it still like that you will be able to maintain a job as an accountant?

Oh i'm also wonder for the work-term that MRC provides its students....will they find/provide your job for you during the semester or do you have to go looking for it yourself?

Shaolin
01-21-2005, 11:06 AM
i know lots of accountants that don't have their designations.. but they do entry level work and middle management at best. the only accountants that have designations in my company are the Controller and the Branch Accountants (CA, CMA and CGA).. the Asst. Controller doesn't have one. The A/R and A/P people don't have designations.. heck they don't even have university education.. but it's not hard telling them how much to bill or pay.. and everything else you learn as you go.

WWJAI
01-21-2005, 11:13 AM
What would probably be the highest income an accountant without a designation can earn yearly? Starting and by the end of their career.

Shaolin
01-21-2005, 11:28 AM
I'm still doing my undergrad but know a lot of people in O&G and other industries.. I got a buddy that's 23 years old, took his CAPPA course, no designation.. makes 60-70 a year.. he's got experience because of friends and family in high places, so i don't know if that was a consideration.

I've been told that an average JV with experience in O&G can probably make 70-80Gs if you've been in the business for 10+ years without a designation.. Although I don't know how accurate that assumption really is.

The A/R and A/P people here PROBABLY start just under 30 a year with no experience or education, I'm not going to ask them how much they make.. but we're not in the O&G industry, we're in manufacturing/print management.. the O&G industry pays more than any other industry. I think A/R and A/P probably start out at 32 a year without experience.. I'm sure someone here knows.

in*10*se
01-21-2005, 01:19 PM
please go to the other accounting thread before asking anything else.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70971

most the answers are there

crazyning
01-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Just so you know, if you are still planning on going to SAIT and pursuing their diploma, the University of Lethbridge post-diploma courses are offered at SAIT. The only drawback is that the courses are only offered at night, and on Saturday. Plus the selection of courses outside the Accounting major is pretty stingy.

eblend
01-27-2005, 09:37 PM
my girlfriend is in accounting right now, she took the coop program at the university of calgary at the haskayne school of business. Best thing you can do is like others said, get a highly valued bcomm degree in accounting and then if you want designation earn one while working with a ca firm. My girlfriend is currently doing a coop workterm with Earns & Young LLP for 8 month, her being a 3rd year student and no experience in ca firms before this, she makes 35grand/year and started working just in january. Its 3 grand a month salary, but during year ends (which happen to be around new years for most companies) it is busy as hell and they work alot. As a matter of fact, its 8:35pm right now and my girlfriend has been at work since 8 am, so thats over 12 hours she has worked today....and yesturday and the day before...be ready for 70 hour work weeks during peak times, and lucky if you get 30 hours during summer time, but it doesn' tmatter still get payed the same. Main thing is to get a job with a CA firm if you want to become an accountant

in*10*se
01-28-2005, 02:48 AM
:werd:

Mckenzie
01-28-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by eblend
my girlfriend is in accounting right now, she took the coop program at the university of calgary at the haskayne school of business. Best thing you can do is like others said, get a highly valued bcomm degree in accounting and then if you want designation earn one while working with a ca firm. My girlfriend is currently doing a coop workterm with Earns & Young LLP for 8 month, her being a 3rd year student and no experience in ca firms before this, she makes 35grand/year and started working just in january. Its 3 grand a month salary, but during year ends (which happen to be around new years for most companies) it is busy as hell and they work alot. As a matter of fact, its 8:35pm right now and my girlfriend has been at work since 8 am, so thats over 12 hours she has worked today....and yesturday and the day before...be ready for 70 hour work weeks during peak times, and lucky if you get 30 hours during summer time, but it doesn' tmatter still get payed the same. Main thing is to get a job with a CA firm if you want to become an accountant

Thats pretty intense....but I guess its tax season so you pay. The person who hired me at EY told me they go to reduced hours in the summer only 8-4:30. BTW who is your girlfriend? I was at the dinner down at the Sheraton as well....

in*10*se
01-28-2005, 12:23 PM
it depends what department you work in
it's both audit AND tax busy season

audit co-ops are on salary

tax co-ops are on hourly... bwwhahahha

Mckenzie
01-28-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by in*10*se
it depends what department you work in
it's both audit AND tax busy season

audit co-ops are on salary

tax co-ops are on hourly... bwwhahahha

hmm....well I guess you should be making close to minimum wage by the time you factor in the number of hours you work....at least it is not as bad as I-banking. BTW I think you are in my tax class....bwwhahahaha (*I was sitting behind you one day in class and saw you on beyond on your laptop replying to this thread...dont get creeped out or anything*...:D )

in*10*se
01-28-2005, 07:18 PM
:dunno: :dunno: super creepy... :eek: :eek: :nut:

lol
:thumbsup:

tax is boring as shit... period. and she is fat as shit.

Gainsbarre
01-28-2005, 08:50 PM

:rofl:, damn I feel like such a bastard for laughing at that. Does she ever get out of the chair that she sits in at the front of the room? I had a class the room next to one where she was teaching last semester, and everytime I looked through the window, she was seated at the front of the room. I kind of feel bad for her...some days I saw her being wheeled into the room in a wheelchair, and I noticed that a ton of classes were cancelled. Can't be much of a class if all she does is sit there and talk. The African dude who normally teaches the taxation class I hear is a wicked prof, so you guys must feel totally shafted with this sessional instructor.

(sorry if I'm hijacking the thread)....

eblend
01-29-2005, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

Thats pretty intense....but I guess its tax season so you pay. The person who hired me at EY told me they go to reduced hours in the summer only 8-4:30. BTW who is your girlfriend? I was at the dinner down at the Sheraton as well....

****** is her name :)

t-im
01-29-2005, 01:37 AM
hmm..wages

a acct. newgrad friend in the USA stands to make about 60-70cad this year (and hasn't started actually working yet)..at EY..and intends to get CA (well, whatever US's equivalent is called) in ~2yrs

a CA relative of mine makes around 110cad...as a "tax something"..I can't remember off the top of my head..but she doesn't seem to do much (no joke)....haha she always says- the more she started to make, the less she had to work, and the later she could go into the office..and she's about....35/36 now...

in*10*se
01-29-2005, 03:42 AM
^ uhh the US version of a CA is a CPA, certified public accountant... and it only takes about 6 months to get. there are no audit hour minimum requirements... if u compared a new CA to a new CPA, there would be no comparision, CPA's are not experienced enough in comparison w/ 30 months of audit experience that a CA has.

and i really highly doubt that ur friend is even in the 70k CND bracket to start... that's double what a new CA articling student makes, and in the t.o they are paid around 42-45k to cover living costs.... don't you think that the whole world would be accountants if you started @ 70k a year? damn, engineers are lucky to even land something that pays 70k on graduation.... i'd seriously check that # out.:bullshit::bullshit: :bullshit:

t-im
01-29-2005, 01:46 PM
^ uhh the US version of a CA is a CPA, certified public accountant... and it only takes about 6 months to get. there are no audit hour minimum requirements... if u compared a new CA to a new CPA, there would be no comparision, CPA's are not experienced enough in comparison w/ 30 months of audit experience that a CA has.

and i really highly doubt that ur friend is even in the 70k CND bracket to start... that's double what a new CA articling student makes, and in the t.o they are paid around 42-45k to cover living costs.... don't you think that the whole world would be accountants if you started @ 70k a year? damn, engineers are lucky to even land something that pays 70k on graduation.... i'd seriously check that # out.:bullshit::bullshit: :bullshit:

hmm, I don't really care if YOU think it's :bullshit: :bullshit: - the US pays higher then here for new grads..it's a fact and everyone knows it - I know another family member who went to school in the states and graduated, landed a job with pricewaterhouse and was in the same starting wage bracket (55usd~70cad)..Same with some other friends who went down to the US for school (a few ivy league ones). Companies are pretty competitive and agressive with hiring people - the people I know (who all did pretty well in school) landed numerous interviews, and had multiple job offers from major firms, all with signing bonuses ($2,500-$5,000usd) and stipulated year end bonuses. I base my $50,000-$65,000usd figure from what i've been told, and talking to a Senior Tax Manager (something like that), she confirmed that is what new grads make around there.

ooh 42g is what they pay in toronto, big fucking whoop...In Calgary a newgrad acct. student can get a $55,000 starting salary - don't beleive me? I don't care.

Mckenzie
01-29-2005, 05:04 PM
:dunno: :dunno: super creepy... :eek: :eek: :nut:

lol
:thumbsup:

haha...yeah it is terrible....almost making me think twice about doing my CA. And yes she is incredibly hard to look at....very fat but also a very nice lady.

Originally posted by Gainsbarre

:rofl:, damn I feel like such a bastard for laughing at that. Does she ever get out of the chair that she sits in at the front of the room? I had a class the room next to one where she was teaching last semester, and everytime I looked through the window, she was seated at the front of the room. I kind of feel bad for her...some days I saw her being wheeled into the room in a wheelchair, and I noticed that a ton of classes were cancelled. Can't be much of a class if all she does is sit there and talk. The African dude who normally teaches the taxation class I hear is a wicked prof, so you guys must feel totally shafted with this sessional instructor.

(sorry if I'm hijacking the thread)....

She is actually pretty funny...but no she does not get up much. She has her Bsc, Msc, LLB and CA designations....very educated, very smart and very friendly...not stuck up like alot of the other profs.

Originally posted by eblend

Elena is her name :)

ok....I probably remember here from the office tour then back when we all got hired. I look forward to working with her in the summer then.

in*10*se
01-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by t-im

hmm, I don't really care if YOU think it's :bullshit: :bullshit: - the US pays higher then here for new grads..it's a fact and everyone knows it - I know another family member who went to school in the states and graduated, landed a job with pricewaterhouse and was in the same starting wage bracket (55usd~70cad)..Same with some other friends who went down to the US for school (a few ivy league ones). Companies are pretty competitive and agressive with hiring people - the people I know (who all did pretty well in school) landed numerous interviews, and had multiple job offers from major firms, all with signing bonuses ($2,500-$5,000usd) and stipulated year end bonuses. I base my $50,000-$65,000usd figure from what i've been told, and talking to a Senior Tax Manager (something like that), she confirmed that is what new grads make around there.

ooh 42g is what they pay in toronto, big fucking whoop...In Calgary a newgrad acct. student can get a $55,000 starting salary - don't beleive me? I don't care.

i know you are talking :bullshit: :bullshit: because i work for pwc, i KNOW the starting salaries for pwc in any country :rolleyes:

i'm talking articling CA students dumbass... i'm sure a new grad could land a 55k job, but it isn't gonna be in a CA firm.

all firms have to cover the different cost of living for each different city, that's why salaries differ.

new grads do NOT make 50kUSD much less 70k CND.

i'd like to think i know what i'm talking about... but since you seem to be the accounting expert... here i'll LET you read the CPA website of salaries...

i'm not here to flame, i'm here to inform... there are WAY too many misconceptions and uninformed people talking about accounting and that's why i usually post here, to help clarify topics that i can help with.
i hope this helps.

http://www.aicpa.org/nolimits/job/salaries/index.htm

to summarize

Salary Information

Public Accounting--Audit, Tax, and Management Services (Large Firms) (a)

Experience/Title 2004 Salary Range

to 1 year (b) $35,750 - $42,500
1-3 years (b) $41,000 - $51,250
Senior (b) $48,750 - $62,250
Manager (b) $63,000 - $82,250
Manager/Director (b) $77,750 -$119,000
(a) $250+ million in sales
(b) add 10% for a graduate degree or CPA

Public Accounting--Audit, Tax, and Management Services (Medium Firms) (a)

to l year (b) $31,750 - $38,250
1-3 years (b) $35,250 - $45,500
Senior (b) $44,000 - $56,500
Manager (b) $57,000 - $74,250
Manager/Director (b) $68,000 - $93,750
(a) $25 to $250 million in sales

Public Accounting--Audit, Tax, and Management Services (Small Firms) (a)

to l year (b) $29,500 - $36,250
1-3 years (b) $33,750 - $42,500
Senior (b) $41,000 - $54,000
Manager (b) $52,000 - $66,000
Manager/Director (b) $63,750 - $84,500
(a) up to $25 million in sales

Corporate Accounting-General, Audit Cost Accountants (Large Companies) (a)

to 1 year (b) $31,750 - $41,000
1-3 years (b) $37,000 - $49,250
Senior (b) $48,000 - $62,750
Manager (b) $60,500 - $81,500

Corporate Accounting--General, Audit & Cost Accountants (Medium Companies) (a)

to l year (b) $30,750 - $37,250
1-3 years (b) $34,500 - $44,500
Senior (b) $44,000 - $56,250
Manager (b) $52,250 - $69,750

Corporate Accounting-- General, Audit & Cost Accountants (Small Companies) (a)

to 1 year (b) $28,500 - $35,000
1-3 year (b) $33,250 - $42,500
Senior (b) $40,500 - $52,000
Manager (b) $47,750 - $61,750

Financial Management-Financial, Budget & Cost Analysis (Large Companies) (a)

to 1 year (b) $33,250 - $39,500
1-3 years (b) $41,500 - $51,250
Senior (b) $52,750 - $67,750
Manager (b) $64,250 - $85,000

Financial Management--Financial, Budget & Cost Analysis (Medium Companies) (a)

to l year (b) $31,750 - $38,250
1-3 years (b) $38,500 - $48,500
Senior (b) $47,750 - $61,000
Manager (b) $58,750 - $74,500

Financial Management-- Financial, Budget & Cost Analysis (Small Companies) (a)

to l year (b) $29,750 - $36,250
1-3 years (b) $34,250 - $45,500
Senior (b) $41,000 - $54,000
Manager (b) $51,500 - $66,000

t-im
01-30-2005, 09:42 PM

i know you are talking :bullshit: :bullshit: because i work for pwc, i KNOW the starting salaries for pwc in any country :rolleyes:

i'm talking articling CA students dumbass... i'm sure a new grad could land a 55k job, but it isn't gonna be in a CA firm.

all firms have to cover the different cost of living for each different city, that's why salaries differ.

I'm not even going to bother arguing with you - I don't really care if you think i'm bs-ing, because i'm not. I have no reason to b.s. to you. You can think that you know everything about CA's and put down anything someone else has to say. As a matter of fact, i've seen how much 2 of my siblings make and they are what i've stated. (Went off the U.S., for school, got jobs at large firms), and I probably have copies of their job offers. If you don't believe it, I REALLY don't care.

The fact is you don't know anyone who went down to the states to work, you're just basing it on figures. Also, good for you that you work in pwc, so does my mom. :rolleyes:

vanados2b
02-20-2005, 02:31 PM

to 1 year (b) $35,750 - $42,500
1-3 years (b) $41,000 - $51,250
Senior (b) $48,750 - $62,250
Manager (b) $63,000 - $82,250
Manager/Director (b) $77,750 -$119,000
etc.

These stats are in American dollars, though, aren't they? Also, what are the different areas in accounting that the firms offer (ex. Forensic Accounting, Tax, etc.) and which one would have the best career path/make the most money?

in*10*se
02-20-2005, 04:06 PM
vanados2b wrote on 02-20-2005 01:35 PM:
You had said that you have friends in all four firms, what is the comparison in the salaries? In terms of the "career ladder", what are the differences between the firms (eg. Is is harder to work your way up in, say, PWC than in EY). Ultimately, which do you belive is the best firm? Thanks.

Vanados2b

The worst part about being an articling student is that ALL of the firms get together and offer the same starting salary... This year, all articling students will be making 35k a year. Next year it'll probably be around 36-37k.

In terms of career ladder, it depends on how hard you work. Every firm has a "bonus" plan and it will depend on your performance at work. Your raises also depend on your performance appraisal. They also base so of your performance on what you do in your spart time (ie. do you participate in firm activities)

So you start as an associate, then senior associate, then manager, then senior manager then partner. Partner is as high as a person can go in a firm because then you basically are a "partner" of the firm and your salary will depend on how well the firm does.

I think generally, depending on your performance appraisal you should go up from 35k to about 39-43k depending on if you are a a super star or not. The next year you should be around 45-50k and be a senior associate. By then you should be writing your UE (universal exam to get your CA's) and then a person should become a manager in 4-5 years. (superstars in 4, normally 5)If you don't get that promotion, you probably never will. And then you leave the public practice to jump into industry (oil and gas) and get paid so much more than with one of the CA firms. Many people choose this route. You are not paid well when articling w/ the CA firms, they do not pay you what you are worth, Industy pays you what you are worth.

In terms of the better firm to go to? It all depends on which firm you like. This will be a personal decision you will make when the firms go hiring in sept/oct.

There are equal opportunities in each firm for career advancement, also it depends on how competitive your other co-workers are. If you are that superstar accountant, you will move quickly in a firm, if u are average, then you will just do average in the firm.

Ultimately I work for pwc, so i'm going to have to say pwc is the best. Great people, great benefits, it's the largest firm in the WORLD, and perks are great, office is sweet, great technology, great laptops, and what more can i ask for?

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70971

more info in this thread that will answer alot more questions =]

in*10*se
02-20-2005, 04:07 PM
page 6 compensation table for professional services

you will be classified as an acct/auditor

http://www.casource.com/Website/SilverStream/Objectstore/General/Alberta__Detailed_Tables.pdf