PDA

View Full Version : toyotas vvtl-i or honda's v-tec

90Tegra
01-20-2005, 10:31 PM
which one produces more power?
I heard vvtl-i produces more power and its more reliable is it true?

statick
01-21-2005, 08:14 AM
from my best experience (have driven toyota sienna with vvt-li and prelude with vtec), vtec is a tad better, but maybe thats cuz i drove 2 completely different cars;)

goldenrocket
01-21-2005, 08:53 AM
The driver plays a factor, the vvti-l has a narrower power band and when shifting near the redline you lose more power then a vtec would shifting at redline, the ecu and transmission do not synchronize together as well as a vtec would. Generally in the end there around the same with vtec maybe slightly better. I'm a toyota fan though so go vvti-l

calgarygts
01-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by statick
from my best experience (have driven toyota sienna with vvt-li and prelude with vtec), vtec is a tad better, but maybe thats cuz i drove 2 completely different cars;)

try driving a celica and a prelude/rsx. I've never driven an rsx but would really like to. From the sounds of things, it's easier to stay in the powerband in the RSX, I know it's hard in the celica because it's so narrow.

Gspotracer
01-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by calgarygts

try driving a celica and a prelude/rsx. I've never driven an rsx but would really like to. From the sounds of things, it's easier to stay in the powerband in the RSX, I know it's hard in the celica because it's so narrow.

I have driven both a newer Celica & Prelude & would have to agree the the powerband is a lot more noticeable with the Vtec on the Prelude.

GoChris
01-21-2005, 03:42 PM
"vtec! oh shit thats fast!"

PhenomSE
01-21-2005, 03:50 PM
I have also driven both...and both are roughly the same...if you hit your shifts with perfect timing, I feel that the "lift" as what Toyota calls it on the Celica is better...not being biased neither, but it throws you back into your seat harder...like a shot of nitrous...though the lude that I drove for a week kicked in vtec pretty damn hard as well.

Rayme
01-22-2005, 12:42 PM
In the celicas it's hard to land in lift when shifting from 1st to 2nd, I heard it sucked because of that eh...

CalgarySupra
01-22-2005, 05:24 PM
vtec is good but vvti runs a little smoother. all my honda friends are into the vtec trend. its just personal opinion

5.9 R/T
01-23-2005, 07:10 AM
You can't compare the two. Different ECU's, different cam profiles, different engines. How someone can say one is better then the other doesn't really know what they are talking about.