PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Under The Hood!

squirrel_boy
01-20-2005, 11:59 PM
hey everyone, i wanna really clean the inside of my hood, but last time i did it, and sprayed down my engine and stuff, the car almost died on me when i tried starting it up. Is that bad? Should i not be spraying a certian part?

GTS Jeff
01-21-2005, 12:29 AM
safer to just use a rag and a bucket of soapy water.

shakalaka
01-21-2005, 12:35 AM
I think you should cover up your alternator or starter and stuff.

AllGoNoShow
01-21-2005, 12:39 AM
and if you have carb or tbi instead of EFI (MultiPoint) then you got to cover your air filter/carb, if you got a cone filter might aswell cover that too, will help keep water out of the cylinders so it will start. take battery out *obveously, unless your not spraying down, if using a rag then dont owrry just dont poor water on* Cover alternator and its wires, if you got a breather on your valvecover (some poeple do some dont) cover that aswell. If you really want a good deal, find a shop that does it, $50, its done right, no issues, high quality stuff used in most places, and you won't have an issue with your car starting etc.. and from what I've heard it looks very very good for $50 worth of time and money, alot easier then doing it yourself.

There's been other threads on this so you may just want to search the forum aswell for more info on products etc..

oriental_gq
01-21-2005, 01:20 AM
-Go to a hand carwash place.
-Take off your hood.
-Put a big towel on the ground.
-Lay the hood on the towel.
-And spray it with soap, than rinse with water.

Thats what i did, and it got it fukking clean.

Also your do not wash your engine when its hot, let it cool down for 10 mins. :thumbsup:

turbo'dGSR
01-21-2005, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by oriental_gq
-Go to a hand carwash place.
-Take off your hood.
-Put a big towel on the ground.
-Lay the hood on the towel.
-And spray it with soap, than rinse with water.

Thats what i did, and it got it fukking clean.

Also your do not wash your engine when its hot, let it cool down for 10 mins. :thumbsup:
sounds like a good idea to me!

are you talking about just your hood or the whole engine bay??

oriental_gq
01-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by turbo'dGSR

sounds like a good idea to me!

are you talking about just your hood or the whole engine bay??

I was talking about cleaning the backside of the hood.

The engine bay is easier to clean, just make sure you let your engine sit for 10 mins before you wash it. Or it will crack.

turbo'dGSR
01-21-2005, 04:14 PM

The engine bay is easier to clean, just make sure you let your engine sit for 10 mins before you wash it. Or it will crack.

yea i got that, sorry shouldve made it clearer. your hood idea is good.
and i am asking 'squirrel_boy' if hes asking abouthis hood or his whole engine bay.

bmeier
01-22-2005, 04:03 AM

your engine will not crack if you spray it without letting it cool down.... what happens in rain or during winter??

as long as you dont spray the distributor or the plugs directly your car will be fine. I am an apprentice tech. and we give engine shampoos daily which only consists of degreasing and power washing the engine....