PDA

View Full Version : Divorced wastegate Downpipes....do they have their advantages?

Redlyne_mr2
01-21-2005, 07:04 AM
Hey guys,
Theres a group buy for a divorced wastegate DP on the MR2 board. Apparently the sr20 and dsm guys have been using these for a while and Im wondering if theyre worth it? From my understanding the wastegate exhaust will be seperate from the turbo outlet exhaust stream, so there will be less turbulence at the mouth of the turbo. This should equal better spool time and increased horsepower. But is all of this true?

RickDaTuner
01-21-2005, 07:10 AM
from my understanding any reduction of exhaust gas turbulance will result in a HP gain

take the twin scroll turbo for example.. by seperating each exhaust header bank into seperate tracks untill they reach the turbine housing, has helped to increased Turbo response and reduced lag, same thing goes for porting your turbo housing smoother flow makes more power

my $0.02

CelicaST-162
01-21-2005, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Hey guys,
Theres a group buy for a divorced wastegate DP on the MR2 board. Apparently the sr20 and dsm guys have been using these for a while and Im wondering if theyre worth it? From my understanding the wastegate exhaust will be seperate from the turbo outlet exhaust stream, so there will be less turbulence at the mouth of the turbo. This should equal better spool time and increased horsepower. But is all of this true?

You answered your own question! Yes it is true, however some people may argue that it will sound horrible or sound really cool when the wastegate opens. I will be using a Divorced Downpipe myself on my Supra, the guy that makes the DDP's is also an avid Supra enthusiast and gained 28RWHP with his downpipe. The results speak for themselves.

Vic

redline
01-21-2005, 02:08 PM
i have seen gains of up to 20hp in open WG on a honda. my gsr is like this and i sounds like pure ass when the wastegate opens. if you route the wastegate dump tube back into the exhuast a couple feet after the turbo losses are minimal.

pressure_ratio
01-21-2005, 03:47 PM
I guess it depends on the car,I never noticed that my car sounded all that bad.Add a bit of a tailpipe to quiet it down a bit,or do as mentioned and dump it back into your exhaust

Redlyne_mr2
01-21-2005, 11:04 PM
thanks guys...its time for a divorce

ron korolak
01-21-2005, 11:16 PM
The sound of the wastegate has alot to do where you pull the exhaust from. If you pull only from one runner it well sound very rough, if it is from the collector area it well sound very smooth!

CelicaST-162
01-21-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by ron korolak
The sound of the wastegate has alot to do where you pull the exhaust from. If you pull only from one runner it well sound very rough, if it is from the collector area it well sound very smooth! I am pretty sure he is still using the internal wastegate

Ekbusta
01-22-2005, 01:31 AM
devorced downpipes also help to eliminate boost spike in some applications :)

Hollywood
01-27-2005, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Hey guys,

I had one on mine. Not sure the difference though as I did the equal length manifold at the same time. I'm sure it does help though.

Mike09
01-27-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood

I had one on mine. Not sure the difference though as I did the equal length manifold at the same time. I'm sure it does help though. was your's vented back into the exhaust on into the atmosphere? What brand btw.?