PDA

View Full Version : Accident...

calarina
12-16-2002, 05:05 PM
A teacher, in a school van, backed into my car when I was parked in the parking area in front of my school. It's nothing EXTREMELY major, but it's a dent in the door, and my molding is bent inward. It definitely pissed me off, cuz I just insured the car 3 days ago, and now an accident happens! Well, it made me cry, cuz that side of the car has had 3 accidents now. Should I claim it and pay the $500 deductible? Or do something else? Or not claim it, and deal with my dent...

EstoMax
12-16-2002, 05:08 PM
or u could tell the teacher who backed into u to pay it for ya and not get insurance involved or something

max

Dirty_SOHC
12-16-2002, 05:11 PM
Purely Depends, is the dent major enough to spend 500 dollars?? for the deductible?. mayby just bang it out and fill it. Try to see if the professor will give any money for she is at fault. If she denies it, its called Hit and Run.

jdmakkord
12-16-2002, 05:12 PM
the teachers insurance should pay for it. Tell the teacher to either pay cash for you to repair it...or get their insurance info and go through your own insurance. The claim wont affect you because you are not at fault.

calarina
12-16-2002, 05:31 PM
Well, I was just told by my mom that if it's her fault, then I don't have to pay the $500 deductible. So, if I can get it fixed I will. It may look like a piece to ppl, but it's my piece, and it means a lot to me.

CRXguy
12-16-2002, 05:37 PM
That is one sweet ass sig jdmakkord!!!:drool:

Sorry, got off topic!

You're not at fault, so you're insurance WILL NOT increase. I don't see what the big deal is? Tell the teacher to pay or else go through insurance.

max_boost
12-16-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
That is one sweet ass sig jdmakkord!!!:drool:

Sorry, got off topic!

You're not at fault, so you're insurance WILL NOT increase. I don't see what the big deal is? Tell the teacher to pay or else go through insurance.

Even though this is a not at fault accident, it is best to not have any accidents on your record......if its fairly minor, just get it settled privately

Superesc
12-16-2002, 05:46 PM
yea... get it done off the record.... damn what's with everyone getting into accidents this week!!!!!

calarina
12-16-2002, 06:25 PM
I don't know 'bout all the accidents, but thx anyway guys :) Since they're gonna have to paint my door, maybe I'll just pay extra myself for them to paint my gray fender...maybe even I could get the whole car painted, if it's a good deal :)

Stratus_Power
12-16-2002, 06:49 PM
It definitly will not effect your insurance rate! cause that happend to the stratus just a few months back. It is her fault and her insurnace company will be taking care of everything.

calarina
12-16-2002, 06:50 PM
lol, she was driving the school's van :tongue: Heh heh, this could be interesting...

cocoabrova
12-16-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by calarina
lol, she was driving the school's van :tongue: Heh heh, this could be interesting...
WHIPLASH!! Oh wait, you have to be IN the car:dunno: :rofl: :rofl:

Weapon_R
12-16-2002, 07:29 PM
If its the teachers fault and the teacher admits it, you wont have to pay a deductible and you can choose where you want to fix your vehicle.

If the teacher does not readily admit guilt, it may take a while, but you'd pay the 500 dollar deductible and get reimbursed when the teacher is deemed responsible.

Best is to settle off the record, since a not-at-fault accident is still going to hurt your insurance. When I insured my car, all the insurance companies asked me whether I had any not-at-faults, and I said nope. Then they would call back and refuse to insure b/c I told them i never had any, even though I have 2 not-at-faults. Insurance does go up if its not your fault even.

jdmakkord
12-16-2002, 07:31 PM
insurance is not supposed to go up with no fault accidents. Thats different than comprehensive claims like hail or vandalism.

szw
12-16-2002, 07:39 PM
Your insurance still goes up with not-at-faults. I know it SHOULDN't, but it sucks. They still stay on your record and they will use it against you.

Stratus_Power
12-16-2002, 08:00 PM
i remeber maybe last year when the stratus was hit in a futureshop parking lot, it end up being someone else's fault.. so we asked our insruance company if it will affect our premium and they said no since its not our fault.. so all the damage are paid for by the other insurance company anyway...

Ben
12-16-2002, 08:35 PM
why do you think they ask how many "Not At Fault" accidents you have been in in the last 3 years?

4wheeldrift
12-16-2002, 08:40 PM
Go to HER insurance company and have them deal with it. DO NOT use your own company. If you have collision coverage, her company might try and force you to go through your insurance anyway but you are not obligated to do so. Your vehicle was hit by one of their customers, and under law they are responsible for the damage to your car, since everyone has to have PL & PD.

berd
12-16-2002, 10:27 PM
working in a school I know there won't be anyway to settle privately because of the politics surrounding school vehicles (liability and all...) I do know that if the accident was not your fault in anyway and if the teacher admits to the damage caused it should proceed as a claim against the school insurance and will not then be a claim against your insurance company. If there is complete fault by the teacher ( and it sounds like it) you shouldn't even have to notify your insurance co as the insurance on the van should cover all........assuming of course you were legally parked in a designated spot.;)

FiveFreshFish
12-16-2002, 11:07 PM
The not-at-fault claims can affect your rates. If you've been with your insurance company for a long time, you probably have a no-claims bonus. By making a claim, you'd lose that bonus so your rate goes up to where it normally is without the bonus.

Other claims such as stereo thefts will affect your rates too. If you claim several stereo thefts in a short period of time, you are a higher risk to the insurance company. They will boost your rate up accordingly, even though you were not at fault.

calarina
12-17-2002, 12:57 PM
Well, my dad told me something interesting I could use to my advantage:
Instead of them bringing in their insurance company, we settle it privately, but for my advantage, they could paint my whole car...kinda like, to compensate for bringing in the insurance company. And if they disagree, then we bring in the insurance companies, their rates go up, and I'm still happy. :)

RSeXy
12-17-2002, 01:03 PM
^^^

that's really shady. i don't have any respect for people like that. you know its Xmas time. what comes around goes around for people who try to pull that shiet.

i'm sorry to hear about your car getting banged up. this happened to a friend of mine back in HS. i believe they settled it privately, but he didn't think to screw them over like you are thinking of doing.

calarina
12-17-2002, 01:05 PM
Well, it wasn't my idea, but since my dad brought it up...and it's not her paying for it! It was a SCHOOL van that backed into me, so it's the school's issue. So it wouldn't be the teacher paying for it...it'd be the school.

RSeXy
12-17-2002, 01:08 PM
^^

yes but still...its the principle.
education funds are alreay suffering. by you being dishonest and shady...you are taking away funds that are usually used as ressources for schools.

by saying that it is the school, thus, indicating you can do it b/c it is a big institution...it is alright. so does this mean that stealing something from the Gap b/c it is a big company is alright?

principles my dear.

Weapon_R
12-17-2002, 01:08 PM
Well, my dad told me something interesting I could use to my advantage:
Instead of them bringing in their insurance company, we settle it privately, but for my advantage, they could paint my whole car...kinda like, to compensate for bringing in the insurance company. And if they disagree, then we bring in the insurance companies, their rates go up, and I'm still happy. :)

Thats pretty low...

:thumbsdow

calarina
12-17-2002, 01:10 PM
I'm just gonna shut up now, cuz no matter what I say, you ppl will come back at me for somethin'.

Weapon_R
12-17-2002, 01:13 PM
I'm just gonna shut up now, cuz no matter what I say, you ppl will come back at me for somethin'.

Scamming ppl ain't cool, and its especially not cool since if this teacher were forced to pay for the damage through his/her pocket during xmas time means that teachers family is gonna get hit.

And besides, what does it matter to you if its fixed by insurance or fixed without insurance? Point is, it's fixed.

It's low cuz u are taking advantage of someone's mistake, where they already probably feel pretty shitty about it in the first place.

RSeXy
12-17-2002, 01:14 PM
^^

no we won't. we sympathise with you for getting your car dinged...nobody likes that.

just keep your integrity in check. =)

2000impreza
12-17-2002, 01:17 PM
settle it privately but just fix what needs to be fixed..... screwing someone over like that is really low.

berd
12-17-2002, 06:54 PM
as i said before there is no way a school will settle privately. If this did happen it could leave the door open for all sort of liability down the road. If a claim does proceed the teacher will not have to pay the deducible and will not be held personable liable but it WILL have to be settled by the insurance co of the van.....no matter what you try they will not paint the whole vehicle as the damage is limited to only a part of it and thus it is only that part which the insurance will be liable for.