PDA

View Full Version : 3S-GTE... , Help please

Sub-s0n1c
01-22-2005, 12:46 PM
hi

due to the recent sale of my house i can afford to spend some of the proffit on my car, basicly i would like to obtain 400-450bhp from my 1994 3S-GTE , i have read lotts of info regarding the upgrading of the engine, but most of it is contradictive...so here i am asking if you guys could help me out.... i got over $10.000 to spend if i need to, i still want to use the car for every day use so want to keep it kinda reliable... any ideas

stealth
01-22-2005, 06:20 PM
EMS
Manifold
Turbo
Fuel Pump
Fuel Rail
Internals

Thats the basics for achieving that much horsepower.

But the easiest way to achieve 400HP is to go with a stroker kit, perhaps the kris k stroker 2.2 kit. Best advice can be found on www.mr2oc.com

statick
01-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Sub-s0n1c
i got over $10.000 to spend if i need to

sorry :rofl:

Sub-s0n1c
01-23-2005, 12:10 PM
sorry:rofl:

explain?.

statick
01-23-2005, 12:55 PM
u said u have $10.000 (ten dollars) to spend, not much mods you can do with that. you may have meant $10,000:dunno:

Sub-s0n1c
01-23-2005, 03:27 PM
lol so your telling me i cant get a whole load of mods for 10 dollars.... what am i going to do it took me ages to get this money together, i had to get a extra paper round aswell.

lol trust you to spot somthing like that... you know what i mean stop yanking my chain..... ok i have "TEN GRAND" to spend
:nut:

Redlyne_mr2
01-23-2005, 06:38 PM
Id learn more about the 3sgte before you start building it up to that level.

jvillain
01-24-2005, 02:04 AM
The first question is whether you really need or want that kind of power in a MR2. Unless your only real interest in life is drag racing that is a rediculous amount of power in one of these cars. You just can't keep the front end planted with that kind of power. I have had some long conversations with people making north of 400hp and your car will no longer be a daily driver once you get there.

My self I am just closing in on 300rwhp and even at Race City I couldn't see being able to use more than 350hp and thats on race rubber.

If you are still sure you want to go there then you should start with the power primer and then lots and lots of more reading after that. Turbo cars aren't like your standard Honda. It takes some real talent to build them without blowiing them up.

http://www.mrcontrols.com/primers/power.htm

Sub-s0n1c
01-24-2005, 11:08 AM
I have a celica 1994 gt4 st205 wrc, but seeing as the mr2 and the celica more or less share the same engine id thought id ask you guys.. as i have seen that there is allot of info on your forum about 3sgte, my car is running just over 300bhp at the moment on standard internals, so realy to get any more bhp outa my engine i need to strengthen the internals, what i wanted was advice on what turbo's you recomend such as if the TD06 was upto the job or maybe go for the GT35, and wether to go for the 272 or the 264 cams, and the internals if it is possible to mix and match manufacturers like eagle rods with TTE crank and ross wiseco or even JE forged pistons, i have done enough reading in to what i want and i havent just gone in to this blindly, i have learned about the strengths the weakness in to the 3sgte engine espesialy the thin cylinder walls between the 2nd-3rd in some of the 1994, all i would like now is to get a bit of friendly advice from guys who have done similar mods to there cars, around 400 bhp is atainable and can also be driven for everyday use if done the right way.

Thanks to the guys and gals that have contributed..i realy do apretiate it

stealth
01-24-2005, 11:45 AM
If this was my situation.

Kris K 2.2 Stroker Kit.

Internals

GT35R Turbo Kit!

And some sort of EMS perhaps hydra nemesis?

you should yield good gaisn from that.

Sub-s0n1c
01-24-2005, 01:03 PM
Hi stealth,

what would you recomend with the cams? id like to use the 272 but i think it may run a little lumpy at low revs making it a little hard to drive on the streets, so would you suggest 264 cams or just go with 272 and put up with it?

oh and have you got a web address were i can get a Kris K 2.2 Stroker Kit?

stealth
01-25-2005, 12:21 AM
If this is your daily driver i would go with the 264, unless you can put up with it. Im not that well informed on cams, so cant really say how annoying or difficult the 272 can get.

There are 2 stroker kits available:

Chris K: Im not sure of the website, i can no longer ffind it but i believe his email is [email protected]

and the other by ATS, which is a reputable company also:
http://atsracing.net/strokershortblock.htm

Sam

jvillain
01-25-2005, 12:46 PM
i got over $10.000 to spend if i need to

I hope you have a lot over 10Gs if you are going down this road. These guys are only giving you half the story (cost). Lets look at some of the costs involved.

If you have 400hp is the stock clutch gonna hold? Nope. Go do a search on the price of a clutch that can hold double the original torque.
$800

Do you have a 91-92? If so LSD >$1000

Are your current rims and tires gonna cut it? Pick a number.

Fuel maxs out at <300hp. Pump, rail injectors $1000

Your not gonna make 400hp on the stock exaust. ~$800 by the time you get it here. You could probably fab up some thing your self out of Canadian Tire truck mufflers but few people go down that road.

New intercooler is a must. You might get away with a Greddy, shroud and spal for $1000 depending on what you are doing, but you are probably going to need more. You can probably do a custom A2W for the same money. If you need a trunk mount it will be atleast $2,000.

Your gonna need an intake. The cheapest is a RMR again $800 by the time you get it here.

Your definitly gonna need H2O injection. $700

Cams $700 - 800.

ECU to control your swanky new fuel system $1300 for a used SDR $2000 for a Nemisis.

Tuning it yourself? $1000 dyno time. No $1500.

You still haven't touched the bottom end yet. The stroker would be nice but it really won't make you any more power. Power is made in the head. The cheapest route for you is to take your existing block bore it and drop in some forged pistons and new bearings. ~$1500 after the gaskit kit, steel head gasket and ARP bolts.

Back to that head. You are going to need new springs and shimless buckets to handle the new cams. Buckets are $30 a hit you need 16. The springs are cheap though. You should do some valve and throat work but you can probably get to 400hp with out it.

Back to the turbo. You are gonna need some thing beefier along with a down pipe, blow off valve and maybe an external wastegate. The price is gonna start at $2000 and climb from there. Pretend your gonna use a MBC and we will say $50.

There is atleast $1000 in other incidentals as you do this and it is assuming that you are gonna do all the work yourself. All prices CDN. And before any one points to some price in the US and say cams are ony $550 or some thing else there is a conversion cost and you are gonna get screwed by the customs broker. I have brought most of this stuff over the boarder and I know what it costs.

That doesn't coun't other things you should be doing like upgraded brake pads, better suspension and stuff like that.

My advise is to take it in steps. Follow the order in the power primer and just start building it up. You may get to a point where you say to yourself, the next step isn't worth the cost or I have enough power now. It is your car, do with it as you wish but don't say you weren't warned. And keep in mind that no insurance company will insure your car with a 400hp motor.

Sub-s0n1c
01-25-2005, 03:12 PM
excellent post bro:thumbsup:

this is the kind of advice ive been looking for.

yeah i got a little over 10 G's more in the region of 75 G's but im using some for those rainy days, so i dont want to go mad.. because once i start spending.. damn im hard to stop
:D

right were to start, ok you mentioned the cheapest way is to drop in some forged pistons and new bearings, will the original crank and rods be able to cope with 400bhp... ive heard that they can but i would like your opinion on this as well, i know what you mean about buying accross the boader as im an importer of motor cycles... i buy from all over the world ....and there are some strange and inventive ways of how to get ripped off.

This is a project that im not trying to complete in the shortest time possible,its my hobbie.. so im going to do it.. and i want to do it right, i have just bought a 1994 3SGTE engine with turbo ecu and basicly everything attached to the engine except gear box and intercooler... i got it quite cheap, so this is going to be the project engine, as for the rest of the car this to is going to be done in stages.. but the engine is first,

1, original rods crank will they take 400bhp comfortably?
obviously il use new trd bearings throughout and arp bolts

:thumbsup:

jvillain
01-25-2005, 08:54 PM
The rods are good to about 450 - 500 HP. The crank is good for at least 700. The rods are very heavy though. If I had lots of money to slosh around and wanted to go to 400 RWHP I would do a fully built bottom end.

I don't know if you have been to www.mr2oc.com yet but you should make it your new home. There is a lot of really good info as well as being a very good source of parts for these cars. Good luck with the build and keep us up to date on how it progresses.

Redlyne_mr2
01-26-2005, 12:24 AM
Keep in mind the prices jvillain posted dont include labor which can double if not triple the costs.
If youre adventurous you could always look at leaving the engine unopened and just upgrade the turbo, fuel system and the electronics then see how far you can take it. I have seen some 500hp unopened 3sgtes that appear to be failry reliable.
See if you like having those numbers in a street car and if you do then tear the engine apart and do it right

Sub-s0n1c
01-26-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks guys,

you have all been great in giving me the advive that i needed, and il definatley keep you updated with its progress, as regards to the labour yeah i expect it to be expensive so il save some money on rebuilding the engine internals myself, not to worry i know enough to do it right, the only thing im not going to be able to do is set the EMS up... and other engine tuning ect, and im gunna get all the help i can from you guys and fensport aswell,
oh and Redlyne_mr2 dont worry about me seeing if i like that power in a street car..as im a damn speed freak i know im gunna love it.
:D

GT4rally
01-28-2005, 12:23 AM
www.gtfour.ca

This guy has an '88 Celica Alltrac in Calgary and knows a lot about the 3SGTE.