PDA

View Full Version : The Mass building pyramid

Wildcat
01-22-2005, 01:11 PM
i got this out of this months muscle and fitness;

in order to build lots of mass prioritize your diet starting from the top of the pyramid:

calories
protein, carbs
preworkout nutrition, postworkout nutrition, meal timing
water, essential fats, glutamine, creatine

hockeybronx
01-23-2005, 02:46 AM
Haha, I think overall I've been starting from the bottom all along. I always make sure I'm getting enough water, and I'll eat well around my workouts...

What are your thoughts on this? I didn't really think calories were as important as consistant amounts of protein, fat, and water intake:dunno:

davidI
01-23-2005, 03:39 AM
I'd agree with that pyramid minus the water...I'd move it up near the top. Calories are definately key though!

Wildcat
01-23-2005, 04:35 AM
the article explains that water helps support blood volume, which effects "the pump" as arnie would say. it also offsets the production of free radicals that break down muscle. dehydration causes a drop in metabolic rate and indirectly effects growth. the total amount of water retained within muscles is a cue for anabolism.

it also notes that the status quo is 8 glasses of water, but the hard-training athlete needs at least twice that amount as water needs to rise with perspiration and calorie intake.

davidI
01-23-2005, 01:12 PM
^ agreed for sure! I meant I'd move water to the top :)

hussein
01-23-2005, 01:23 PM
i like the picture of ronnie on the front.

gggunit
01-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Half the stuff in those magazines is made up..they need to change it up so they can sell copies.. just stick to the basics..

work out hard.. eat.. eat.. eat.. and drink water

hockeybronx
01-24-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by gggunit
Half the stuff in those magazines is made up..they need to change it up so they can sell copies.. just stick to the basics..

I pretty much agree. I find sometimes we become absolutely swamped with so many opinions that we lose sight of what fitness is all about.

However in Wildcats case, he is training to do recreational bodybuilding, so it's a little different story for him as opposed to others such as myself who are just trying to get stronger.

Chim
01-24-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by gggunit

Yea I agree. I read a lot of articles and changed my routine based on what the "experts" say rather than what has worked for me in the past. I havent made any strength or muscle gains in the past few months, so it's time to go back to the basics and see how that works out.