PDA

View Full Version : best place for tech inspection?

gorillam
01-23-2005, 02:48 AM
Where's the best place for tech inspection, I need a pretty "Leinant" (if I spelled that correctly) inspection.

I just purchased a car here in calgary and I dont quite know the order of operation of what to do, and need someone to do the inspection.

I need a permit to drive the car to inspection, I do not have any plates or insurance on the car,

Do I go get the inspection papers from insurance or registry? Then I get plates, and a 1 day driving permit from someone? then take the papers to the inspection facility.

???

I'm sooo confused here, I love ICBC.

gorillam
01-23-2005, 02:51 AM
Forgot to mention 1990 240sx

Lo)2enz0
01-23-2005, 04:20 PM
I get my car insepected 2-3 times a year at nissan. Costs about $110 for them to do it but they will tell you everything that needs repairs and what is on the verge of nedding repairs. Worth every peeny because it tells me what I need to in my garage.

Laurier

FiveFreshFish
01-23-2005, 04:25 PM
First of all, you need to present an insurance pink card before any registry will issue you plates. Your insurance company can fax one to you that can be shown at the registry; real one comes in the mail within a couple of weeks.

CokerRat
01-23-2005, 04:34 PM
I just reread the original post, sorry, I thought you were importing it from BC to Alberta. So you bought the car in Calgary. Was the car previously registered in Alberta? Assuming it is, there's no inspection required to register it. FiveFreshFish is right, all you have to do is have proof of insurance (the ins co will fax you a temporary insurance sheet) and proof of ownership (ie. signed invoice and signed-over registration from the previous owner). No tech inspection required. FWIW I agree with Lo)2enz0 that you ought to know what needs repair etc. Normally you do this before you buy the car... ;)

FiveFreshFish
01-23-2005, 04:38 PM
^^^ I thought cars older than 10 model years require a mechanical inspection when ownership changes, even if it was previously registered in Alberta. :dunno:

gorillam
01-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
^^^ I thought cars older than 10 model years require a mechanical inspection when ownership changes, even if it was previously registered in Alberta. :dunno:

Yeah I thought that cars 10 years or older had to too???

Anyone know what it really is?

canadiandaytona
01-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Nope don't need inspection needed for the car to be Registered. But your Insurance Company wil probably want a Inspection done.
Thus Phone Insurance, have them fax temp card to registery, register car and take for inspection, and send inspection to insurance company.
:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
01-23-2005, 08:55 PM
I insured my 14 yr old truck and never needed any inspection at al :)

Jason Lange
01-28-2005, 03:20 AM
It is actually 15 years however it also depends how good of a relationship you have with your insurance company. Mine didn't bother me for one when I insured my 1987 300zx last summer.

'93 SR-V
01-29-2005, 05:00 PM
I sent my insurance the mechanical inspection that I had done at Honda before I bought the car… Turns out that’s a bad idea… The insurance company wanted EVERYTHING marked as “needs attention” fixed. I had to argue with some middle eastern insurance woman forever… a leaking cam plug seal is not putting me at greater risk for an accident.

Anyway, instead of doing everything (like $1500) I just went to a speedy muffler place in Midnapore (sp) and had them do another inspection… they said the car was just showing normal ware for its age and was fine. Try them perhaps.