PDA

View Full Version : Future shop's extended warranty on Laptops/Computers

GucciBoy
01-23-2005, 11:19 AM
How exactly does FS warranty work, does anyone know in detail? I wouldnt mind clarifying details. They said, you bring it in, and leave it with them they will try to fix the problem. If they are unable to within 60 days from when you drop it off (long time should be 30), they will give you a brand new one from their current product lineup. But I can't see too many customers being this lucky, I'm sure they work hard at preventing this. If you have to bring it in for repair 3 times within the FS warranty, they will automatically give you a brand new one from their current product lineup over the counter of equal value.

Is this correct? Cause simply later on down the road, I wouldn't mind upgrading myself to a new one at no cost. Well, technically I paid for the warranty $400 so might as well make the most of it/

3G
01-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by GucciBoy
How exactly does FS warranty work, does anyone know in detail? I wouldnt mind clarifying details. They said, you bring it in, and leave it with them they will try to fix the problem. If they are unable to within 60 days from when you drop it off (long time should be 30), they will give you a brand new one from their current product lineup. But I can't see too many customers being this lucky, I'm sure they work hard at preventing this. If you have to bring it in for repair 3 times within the FS warranty, they will automatically give you a brand new one from their current product lineup over the counter of equal value.

Is this correct? Cause simply later on down the road, I wouldn't mind upgrading myself to a new one at no cost. Well, technically I paid for the warranty $400 so might as well make the most of it/

I believe if it suffers from the same problem 3 times then they give you a new one. I had to read a whole binder full on that shit but can't really remember.

GucciBoy
01-23-2005, 11:28 AM
hmm thanks bro. Im taking it you worked there? lol

I can't remember if they give you one of equal value or the model that replaced the one you have.

I might have to make 3 trips into the store. Alot of running around, but if it means I can get a brand new one and better in the future, then I dont think anyone would turn it down lol.

3G
01-23-2005, 11:36 AM
hmm thanks bro. Im taking it you worked there? lol

I can't remember if they give you one of equal value or the model that replaced the one you have.

I might have to make 3 trips into the store. Alot of running around, but if it means I can get a brand new one and better in the future, then I dont think anyone would turn it down lol.

the technicians actually look at it to verify the problems and if they have to fix that one problem 3 times, then you get a new one.

GucciBoy
01-23-2005, 12:04 PM
so it cant be 3 problems in general? has to be exact same problem/

Kamen
01-23-2005, 12:19 PM
That's probably the case, because you can easily give yourself problems and claim it problematic to get a new one. Remember, all those loopholes don't really exist, I'm sure they've covered themselves well.

3G
01-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Kamen
That's probably the case, because you can easily give yourself problems and claim it problematic to get a new one. Remember, all those loopholes don't really exist, I'm sure they've covered themselves well.

That's what I was trying to say

GucciBoy
01-23-2005, 12:47 PM
True, chances of same problem acting up 3 x is rare.

What a waste of $400 on my laptop. Nice to have sure, knowing that I dont have to pay $60+ an hour for tech help. if it does have problems...but chances are it most likely wont with the quality these days.

3G
01-23-2005, 12:53 PM
FutureShops PSP's are mad money makers

GucciBoy
01-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by 3G
FutureShops PSP's are mad money makers

I agree. Now I regret getting the PSP.

soupey
01-23-2005, 02:10 PM
one of my friends is a salesperson at the NE futureshop, they get paid on commission, they get extra money for selling extended warranty...sooo tahts why they hassle u so much to go for extended warranty, the chances u'lll ever use extended warranty is rare imo...

GucciBoy
01-23-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by soupey
one of my friends is a salesperson at the NE futureshop, they get paid on commission, they get extra money for selling extended warranty...sooo tahts why they hassle u so much to go for extended warranty, the chances u'lll ever use extended warranty is rare imo...

wELL I know that, and it depends on what too. Now that I think about it $400 PSP for $2000 laptop is kinda steep. Hmm...

rahim
01-23-2005, 02:26 PM
and you can't upgrade anything yourself, you have to have a FS tech do it

GucciBoy
01-23-2005, 02:47 PM
The upshot: The cost of an extended warranty will probably exceed what you'd otherwise pay for a minor repair such as replacing a faulty video card. But if your system suffers a rare catastrophic malfunction such as a motherboard failure--or goes into the shop repeatedly for various problems--you may be glad that you extended its warranty.

I guess on a laptop it most likely is worth it. Most problems happen after the first year.

SUPRAPHAT
01-23-2005, 03:32 PM
I worked at FutureShop and we make almst no money on extended warrenties for computer and laptops! This is because there are almost always issues with them somewhere along the way. I've seen soooo many people come in after like the 13 month of having their laptop complaining that it's all fucked up but they didn't get the PSP on it so they are hooped.

Trust me, as a guy that worked there, PSP on laptops and computers is a very good idea.

Jason

Skylinelover
01-23-2005, 03:42 PM
If you dont have extended warranty even when the regular warranty isn't up. They wont fix it they will make you send it to sony ect.

GucciBoy
01-23-2005, 04:39 PM
thanks to supra and skyline for the re-assuranc, much appreciated :)

And yes I agree, laptops so many problems can occur.

Skylinelover
01-23-2005, 04:42 PM
thanks to supra and skyline for the re-assuranc, much appreciated :)

And yes I agree, laptops so many problems can occur. My harddrive crapped out 2 weeks before warranty was up. We took it to fs and they told us they couldn't fix it so we had to drive to the Sony store to get it fixed.

GucciBoy
01-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Skylinelover
My harddrive crapped out 2 weeks before warranty was up. We took it to fs and they told us they couldn't fix it so we had to drive to the Sony store to get it fixed.

sony store? is there even any still around lol

They are even worse than fs for customer service. I will never walk into a sony store again let alone buy or ask for something, but good thing i have a toshiba. I found out Toshiba doesnt send new units anymore , they only fix.

Skylinelover
01-23-2005, 05:26 PM

sony store? is there even any still around lol

They are even worse than fs for customer service. I will never walk into a sony store again let alone buy or ask for something, but good thing i have a toshiba. I found out Toshiba doesnt send new units anymore , they only fix.
They lost my laptop at the sonystore and couldn't find it for 2 weeks. And when they told us the found it and it was ready we went to get it and then they lost it again but found it after 30 min of searching.

XINC
01-24-2005, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by 3G

I believe if it suffers from the same problem 3 times then they give you a new one. .

/bump

I'm not quite sure how old this thread is, but to help you guys out, it's actually any 3 problems that you have with the notebook, on the 4th time you bring it in, you automatically get a replacement.
Or if they can not fix it, they give you a new one, of equal spec, not necessarily of equal value.
I know someone who had their notebook replaced, due to motherboard problems after 2 years (his contract was for 3 years).
So he walked away with a brand new computer, but since he used his PSP contract up on the replacement, he just paid for the cost of the new psp contract.

It's well worth the hassle, for Toshiba and HP products.
Sony... :rolleyes: is a headache as usual with anything they make.
The first year is always covered under Sony's warranty coverage, thereafter you can bring it into Futureshop to get fixed.
I have a friends who work as the lead technicians at each store as well.

Just thought you'd want to know from experience.

GucciBoy
01-24-2005, 09:45 AM
thanks xinc thats what i figured ANY 3 problems period. Cause chances of 3 re-occuring 3 times is bare to none.

But then again, chances of then NOT being able to fix something is bare to none as well. I know if they do give you something, it is not the equal specs cause how are stores going to carry the same models you have now 2 years later. They give you what is on their floor.

Chiggles
01-26-2005, 05:17 AM
And to redefine the policies a bit more clearly.....

so it cant be 3 problems in general? has to be exact same problem/

It USED to be that the No-Lemon Guarantee said that you had to have the exact same problem 3 times before you could get an exchange out of it, but that was many years ago. Some time around 3 years ago maybe, that No-Lemon clause was revised to be more reasonable cuz the odds are that the same problem shouldn't happen more than once. Now, that clause states that if you have more than ANY 3 different hardware repairs performed on the unit, that qualifies for the exchange (ie. mobo, lcd display, hard drive, optical drive). You may think that 3 hardware repairs is hard to exceed in all likelihood, and in most cases, it's true, but on the other hand, as time goes by a lot of times those hardware components become discontinued which makes the value of those components increased due to lack of production and availability therefore making it too expensive to fix the unit, which under the main Replacement Guarantee, gets you an exchange anyway simply cuz it's gotten too expensive to fix.

Originally posted by soupey

True, commissionable staff are paid on just about everything they sell, including warranty, so of course they're going to try to sell you into PSP as well. If it seems like it's a hassle, it's cuz it REALLY IS a big deal. Think about it, you're investing over $1500
into a sophisticated piece of electronics, which also happens to be quite sensitive. To protect such an expensive investment, shouldn't you be made aware of just how costly it is to service this toy otherwise? Laptop components generally are at least twice as expensive as a comparable part in a desktop; hell the LCD display is typically as much or more than what the PSP costs to begin with. LCD displays may not go entirely, but for all wear and tear things that occur over time with normal use such as individual pixel burn-outs, no manufacturer will cover you for that. All manufacturers have a strict policy on pixel burn-outs which is that you have to have at LEAST 5 pixels burned out together in the same cluster (ie. in a straight line or in a star of some sort); any amount less than 5 or even if you have 10, but no 5 or more are clumped together, you will not be covered. Why not? Cuz these problems are not a result of a fault from the building end of things when they first assemble the laptop together. Such occurences happen over time with normal use.

"Chances are that you'll never use your warranty" is a phrase I hear far too often only cuz people take it for granted so easily. Indeed, manufacturer's have their very own set of paramaters.... what THEY deem to be working within normal guidelines and under the stock warranty, you'd have to wait and wait and wait before something seriously went wrong with it before you could ever get any use out of it. For everything else outside those parameters, no one ever seems to think about taking it in for simple maintenance things like just having the system tuned up for performance by cleaning out unnecessary programs that start up when you boot the computer, or to have updates done on your system cuz you're not sure how, etc. No salesperson has ever told a customer that you HAVE to wait til the laptop fails miserably before you can take advantage of your warranty, so why not take advantage of it. Some people get their oil changed every few months, some people only change their oil every few years cuz their lazy bastards, but the point is, with that Performance Guarantee, you can bring it in as often as you like; if you feel so strongly that you'll never use the warranty, why not do something about it?

Originally posted by rahim
and you can't upgrade anything yourself, you have to have a FS tech do it

You can't upgrade anything yourself with a MANUFACTURER warranty cuz it will void the stock warranty if you have no paperwork from a certified tech for the upgrade work done. With PSP, it is not voided, so regardless whether you have a tech do it or you upgrage it yourself, FS will still be there to back you up if you happen to screw it up by accident.

Originally posted by Skylinelover
If you dont have extended warranty even when the regular warranty isn't up. They wont fix it they will make you send it to sony ect.

It's not that FS WON'T fix it; if the customer really insists on having FS fix it, then sure, it can be done. But since FS is not an employee of the manufacturer, and although it does not void the stock warranty, contracting a 3rd party like FS to perform the repair means that you explicitly consent to pay someone else to do it for you, therefore you will not be reimbursed. And through that course of action, parts will add up along with the usual labour rate at $80/hr. So you see, it's not that FS doesn't want to fix it for the customer during the term of the stock warranty. It's that you, the customer, will be paying more for it in the end then if you just paid the shipping charges to get it back to the manufacturer. What's that? You don't want to wait forever to get the manufacturer to fix it for you? Well, you should have bought the PSP then. The maximum 60-day turn-around time that FS allows under their PSP program may seem lengthy still, sure, but that's due to the fact that if they don't have the part in-store that's necessary to repair the laptop, they have to order it from the manufacturer. And generally, manufacturer's just tend to take their sweet time getting that part shipped out so to be fair about it, FS will ask fo 60 days to repair it just cuz it's highly unlikely to have a unit fixed inside of 30 when a part that needs to be special ordered and shipped to the store can take at least 3 weeks to process.

In the end, as costly as it may seem upfront, even if you have a tech-knowledgable friend who you claim can fix it for you, unless that buddy is sickeningly wealthy and agrees to buy your parts for you or just buy you a new laptop cuz they couldn't fix it in the end, then it's in your best interest to make the extra investment to protect the intial $1500 + you just decided on spending, cuz parts and labour add up real quickly otherwise.

irwineering420
02-04-2005, 01:17 PM
buy your laptop warranty from London Drugs....its best priced, and does the same thing as those other warranties.

Plus i think they'll sell you the warranty even if you buy the laptop at Futureshop or something....as long as they sell the same model.