PDA

View Full Version : Best MP3 player: IPOD mini, RIO Carbon or Creative Zen Touch

GucciBoy
01-23-2005, 06:22 PM
What would you get? I was wanting an IPOD for a while, but I heard its buggy and the battery only lasts 4-5 hours, whereas the Carbon is same price and amazing chrome look, but you get an extra gig, 20hours battery life vs minis 8hours (as they say), just as nice IMO, smaller and the Creative you get up to 24hours playback, yes thats right 24hours!

I want the best sound possible. I am a bass head and using really good headphones, so I want the one that will put out great bass and if I can put plugins into it, like in winamp.

962 kid
01-23-2005, 07:16 PM
why not consider a zen micro? a bit of each of the above. almost as easy to use as the ipod, 12 hours battery life, plus removable batteries so you can just switch a dead one out, plus it has the highest sound quality of any of the above

googe
01-23-2005, 07:18 PM
the player isnt going to be the factor in sound quality, make sure you have/buy good headphones

Stratus_Power
01-23-2005, 07:22 PM
i just bought one these, pretty sweet, the interface could be better though

Neil4Speed
01-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
why not consider a zen micro? a bit of each of the above. almost as easy to use as the ipod, 12 hours battery life, plus removable batteries so you can just switch a dead one out, plus it has the highest sound quality of any of the above

:werd: I hear these things are great. Also look at the Dell Mini DJ.

But really I am dedicated to Ipods, the interphase is amazing and is straight up the reason why after killing two of them, I am buing a third.

itsalebaron
01-23-2005, 07:37 PM

I love my Zen Micro, would recommend it to anyone!

abc1
01-23-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by GucciBoy

I want the best sound possible.

If you want the best sound possible, then I suggest the zen touch. I think you should get it because you can rip your songs at a high bit rate and still have good battery life. Also with higher bit rate songs it would take more space which is no problem compare to the other ones that are 5 gigs. Good luck with whatever you choose.

AcuraTl
01-23-2005, 07:59 PM
lol ipod for life, it doesent matter what u have, sony, creative, in the end its a cheap imitator and not as good! btw check out Costco, they got ipods for cheap!

Redlyne_mr2
01-23-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by AcuraTl
lol ipod for life, it doesent matter what u have, sony, creative, in the end its a cheap imitator and not as good! btw check out Costco, they got ipods for cheap!
Whats cheap? U of C so far has had the best price

GucciBoy
01-23-2005, 09:26 PM
ok thanks for the input.

I dont need a massive hard drive, must be small, look sharp, durable for dropping and easy navigation always helps.

Zen touch is pretty nice. $350 for 5gig yikes!

962 kid
01-23-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by AcuraTl

step out of the cave man ;) the ipod is no longer the only good mp3 player out there, in fact, PC mag rates the zen micro the same as the ipod, and creative won the best of CES award

itsalebaron
01-23-2005, 09:36 PM

step out of the cave man ;) the ipod is no longer the only good mp3 player out there, in fact, PC mag rates the zen micro the same as the ipod, and creative won the best of CES award

:thumbsup: Creative has also announced they are coming out with a Photo Zen Micro. Memory Express still has them for $309.99 (including the extra battery).

gongSHOW
01-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Whats cheap? U of C so far has had the best price
20 GB for 360
40 GB for 470

Beats educational pricing!

gongSHOW
01-23-2005, 09:50 PM
I would go for a Zen Micro over the iPod mini. I had an ipod mini nothing but problems luckly they let us return it (bad hard-drive wouldn't spin and bad battery), which I hear aren't that uncommon. The Micro Zen looks really nice and the interface is much the same as the iPod!

GucciBoy
01-23-2005, 09:54 PM

I agree! IPODs are so overpriced its not even funny, plus so many people have them. Im not paying $330 for a mp3 player that lasts 4 hours if that.

GucciBoy
01-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by gongSHOW
I would go for a Zen Micro over the iPod mini. I had an ipod mini nothing but problems luckly they let us return it (bad hard-drive wouldn't spin and bad battery), which I hear aren't that uncommon. The Micro Zen looks really nice and the interface is much the same as the iPod!

WOW pretty nice, looks like the zen touch. Dont know what the diff is.

Where is best place to buy zen micro? Looks smaller than micro. I would imagine thats why they named it micro.

saiyajin
01-23-2005, 10:33 PM
^ cheapest so far is at memory express for 309.99 you can also get if at best buy or futureshop if you want longer warrenty i bought mine at futureshop

GucciBoy
01-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin
^ cheapest so far is at memory express for 309.99 you can also get if at best buy or futureshop if you want longer warrenty i bought mine at futureshop

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh lets not bring up Future scum haha. Already spent $399 on laptop PSP.

saiyajin
01-24-2005, 12:17 AM

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh lets not bring up Future scum haha. Already spent $399 on laptop PSP.

hahah well thing is i paid 299.99 for my zen micro plus the guy gave me 3yr warrenty for 50 instead of 70 so in the end i paid about 370 with taxes....the player itself is like 350 so i got a sweet deal :D

mo_virgin
01-24-2005, 12:25 AM
i got a mini and the battery life blows chunks... my old MD player got 36 hours...

wildrice
01-24-2005, 12:28 AM
i too am in the market for a mp3 player

check this one out, i'm considering this one
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=19&sku_id=0665000FS10050693&catid=10205&newdeptid=19#

GucciBoy
01-24-2005, 12:30 AM
haha I think we are all starting to realize how over rated the IPOD is.

Shampoo Suicide
01-24-2005, 12:40 AM
I got this beauty
http://mirror.memoryexpress.net/ProductDetail.php?DisplayProductID=5209

Its pricey but
40 gigs
external hard drive (no programs to install)
radio
ability to record off radio and mic
picture viewer
text viewer
OGG format supported
no need for 800 crappy accessories like an iPod.

wildrice
01-24-2005, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Shampoo Suicide
I got this beauty
http://mirror.memoryexpress.net/ProductDetail.php?DisplayProductID=5209

Its pricey but
40 gigs
external hard drive (no programs to install)
radio
ability to record off radio and mic
picture viewer
text viewer
OGG format supported
no need for 800 crappy accessories like an iPod.

how much was that?

/////AMG
01-24-2005, 05:54 AM
I hate MP3 players!!

I'm trying to buy one aswell, but god there so many which are so similar! :banghead:

PS. Ipod = teh suX0r

Neil4Speed
01-24-2005, 10:48 AM
haha I think we are all starting to realize how over rated the IPOD is.

I wouldn't really say over rated. Sure there are other choices out there right now, but I find that allot of them are even more expensive or the same price of the ipod.

I think the battery life should be settled out, oh my 3rd Gen I used to get about 9 hours. I charged it every night (throw it on the cradle), so no big deal. And if I was listening for more than 9 hours (long study sessions or something), I can just bring the charger it is quite small and light. I personally didnt see the battery life as much of an obstacle as allot of other people saw it.

The Interphase is amazing, so easy to use, so cleanly designed. I don't think many can disagree with me here, it is also the best looking of the bunch (esp 3rd gen) IMHO.

The size is perfect. It has no buttons jutting out, and fits great into a pocket.

Again, the reasons why I pick an Ipod.

Sure Creatives/Irivers may be better, but that size/interface issue again keeps me buying these damn things.

(I am mainly refering to the larger sized ipods 10/15/20 gb), I am not very familiar about the mini's.

AcuraTl
01-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

I wouldn't really say over rated. Sure there are other choices out there right now, but I find that allot of them are even more expensive or the same price of the ipod.

I think the battery life should be settled out, oh my 3rd Gen I used to get about 9 hours. I charged it every night (throw it on the cradle), so no big deal. And if I was listening for more than 9 hours (long study sessions or something), I can just bring the charger it is quite small and light. I personally didnt see the battery life as much of an obstacle as allot of other people saw it.

The Interphase is amazing, so easy to use, so cleanly designed. I don't think many can disagree with me here, it is also the best looking of the bunch (esp 3rd gen) IMHO.

The size is perfect. It has no buttons jutting out, and fits great into a pocket.

Again, the reasons why I pick an Ipod.

Sure Creatives/Irivers may be better, but that size/interface issue again keeps me buying these damn things.

(I am mainly refering to the larger sized ipods 10/15/20 gb), I am not very familiar about the mini's.

^^^ :werd:

/////AMG
01-25-2005, 07:15 AM
Hoiw about

Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 30GB MP3 Player??
Not the most sexies tplayer:
http://www.futureshop.ca/multimedia/products/regular/10036456.gif

The Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 30GB MP3 Player is a sleek, high capacity, full featured, pocket sized, digital music player plus hard drive. Carry all the music you'll ever own with this MP3 player. Transfer your music using the ultra fast USB 2.0, press the play button and get set to enjoy high-fidelity music.

ryder_23
01-25-2005, 01:59 PM

I agree! IPODs are so overpriced its not even funny, plus so many people have them. Im not paying $330 for a mp3 player that lasts 4 hours if that.

I dont know what your talkin about. Maaybe your just refering to the mini's, but i get fairly long battery life out of my Ipod. Sure its not as long as then zen, but its more then long enough for me, and the IPod is way lighter then the zen, which is an advantage for some people.