PDA

View Full Version : heater hose safe for turbo oil return?

Police
01-23-2005, 09:00 PM
ok i already have the right sized hose but it prints heater hose on it, now the return from my turbo has no pressure asa you know but i don't know if the hose can handle the heat from the oil?

Boost Infested
01-23-2005, 09:14 PM
no, oil will eat away rubber hose. go get some teflon steel braided lines.

rio_rex
01-23-2005, 10:59 PM
you can use fuel line hose for a oil return..since its designed in mind for gas...hot oil shouldn't deteriorate it as fast as if u used a heater hose.

Ekbusta
01-24-2005, 03:45 AM
dude, hit up mopac and ask them for a piece of steel braided line, the closest -an size to your half inch ID or so heater hose, its like 8 bucks a foot. :)

EFHatch
01-24-2005, 07:59 PM
please use stainless steel braided lines.

if you use a sub-par material, then your gonna ruin everything because your trying to save a few bucks.

it's worth it to go braided.

Police
01-25-2005, 12:23 AM
ya alright i think i'm going with steel braided lines then haha

wontonjohnny
01-25-2005, 05:41 PM
are there different types of ss braided lines??

can i use that $8/ft line for a oil feed line???

Police
01-25-2005, 07:39 PM
it has to have a teflon rubber hose inside, its basically stainless steel braid wrapped hence the name stainless steel braided lines. They have stainless steel tap hoses at homedepot haha never use those.

EFHatch
01-25-2005, 08:47 PM
kitchen sink tap hose.

lol thats a good one. yah don't use those. great for fauchets though.

wontonjohnny
01-25-2005, 09:52 PM
so the $8/ft one at mopac is teflon??

rio_rex
01-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by wontonjohnny

Yup, rubber core coated with teflon:thumbsup:

rio_rex
01-25-2005, 10:01 PM

Yup, rubber core coated with teflon:thumbsup:

Police
01-29-2005, 07:58 PM
one more question, the hose that you buy at mopac has no fittings on the end right? how am i suppose to use it if you can't use hose clamps on steel braided hoses? or can you?

rio_rex
01-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Police
one more question, the hose that you buy at mopac has no fittings on the end right? how am i suppose to use it if you can't use hose clamps on steel braided hoses? or can you?

Well u could use hose clamps, but the stainless lines wouldn't compress as well. They are designed for use with fitting like earls or aeromotive fittings...these ones have a nipple and a metal sheath that fits around were the nipple is and compresses the stainless line onto the nipple. Sorry bout the bad description..haha. Anyways, on another note when u are cutting them, u can use a hacksaw or a grinder with cutoff wheel so u can get a good straight edge on the end. U need this because when u are inserting them into the fittings u don't want the stainless braid to be all frayed, which will make it very hard to get into the fitting.

Maxt
01-29-2005, 10:44 PM
The good stuff to use is the goodyear ortac and it will have a petroleum approval on it, you don't need super duper bionic stainless wrapped oil drain line,that shit is a total pain in the ass to work with...That line carries no pressure, and if your oil is cracking the 220 deg mark, you have other problems....
This piece on my car, has seen duty on two different turbo's and more than 15,000 km's and its still like brand new...

Police
01-30-2005, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
The good stuff to use is the goodyear ortac and it will have a petroleum approval on it, you don't need super duper bionic stainless wrapped oil drain line,that shit is a total pain in the ass to work with...That line carries no pressure, and if your oil is cracking the 220 deg mark, you have other problems....
This piece on my car, has seen duty on two different turbo's and more than 15,000 km's and its still like brand new...

yes totally agree where can i get a few ft of that stuff. What temp does oil usually get to? i think it always goes over 100deg C right?

245gti
01-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Police

What temp does oil usually get to? i think it always goes over 100deg C right?

After a long run up a hill, pull over and look at the nice orange color your turbo is. Methinks your oil temps will be substantially over 100deg C. The stuff coming from you turbo drain is pretty much foam and is bloody hot. That said, a high temp, petroleum rated hose will work. As was stated, it's really not under any pressure. Just make sure it offers free flow for the turbo to drain. You don't want a crimp to block the oil flow or you'll be learning how to rebuild a turbo in a hurry...

Police
01-31-2005, 03:18 PM
and does the goodyear ortac handle pressure for oil lines as well?

pressure_ratio
02-01-2005, 05:22 AM
are there different types of ss braided lines??

can i use that $8/ft line for a oil feed line???
Yes there's a couple of types of braided hose.The fancey aeroquip/earls hose is a rubber core w/braided sheathing.For a feed line you might want to use the teflon braided line(same stuff as what you use for brake line).Just buy the ones that are made up,it's actually cheaper and they're crimped so you don't have to worry about making one up.Another option for a return line might be Aeroquip matchmate.It's designed as a hydraulic hose and is fairly inexpensive.You'll need to get the ends crimped on and JIC/AN fittings.The stuff your looking for is the 663-8,single wire.the-8 being 1/2 inch(1 dash # =1/16").Use -3 or 4 for a feed line.

gorillam
02-01-2005, 07:46 PM
why dont you just use one of the kits from your last thread you said you were going to buy.????????

Are you actually building a turbo system???

Police
02-01-2005, 11:55 PM
i'm not using the kit because they are not responding me, and they suck at shipping. I don't know if i'm not building a turbo system i must be bolting on a turbo to look cool but i still need oil lines or else people will tell its fake and i'll probably seize it up.:banghead:

Ekbusta
02-02-2005, 12:33 AM
dude, are you still fucking talking about this, go buy that shit already.

Police
02-02-2005, 12:38 AM
yes because i still don't know where i can buy some goodyear ortac, why don't you tell me where.

Ekbusta
02-02-2005, 02:38 AM
umm, get the steal braided shit at mopac :rolleyes:

pressure_ratio
02-02-2005, 04:06 AM
I know I've seen it a bunch of times on here already,but here we go again.You can get pretty much any of the hoses mentioned at hose headquarters on blackfoot trail,or the branch on 61 ave se.Greggs distributors carries them,Red-L distributors,Kinecor is another,Acklands probably has it too.There,thats where you go to get all this stuff,as well as T bolt clamps,fittings,etc,etc.