PDA

View Full Version : Stay Away From Alpine

A790
01-24-2005, 12:01 AM
Just so everyone is aware...

I have blown my two 10" Alpine Type-S Dual 4 ohm subs THREE TIMES in the last week; I've had htem replaced each time but it's getting rediculous. I'm not evenc ranking them.

My 12" kick holds up fine, but the Alpines just arn't lasting. Soundsaround told me that "they've had 30 of them blow up in January alone, and that the current Type-S's are real POS and that I should switch to Rockfords."

What does tha tell you?

Weapon_R
01-24-2005, 12:04 AM
Nothing really. I've used Alpine products for years and have never been disappointed.

brandon
01-24-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by A790
What does tha tell you?

Nothing, As well I have used alpine products for years and have loved them without a problem. I think your adjusting your soundsystem right for these subs.

'93 SR-V
01-24-2005, 12:23 AM
That sucks. But there could be a few reasons for this.
1. You aren't allowing enough time to break in the subs
2. The amp / sub / box combo isn't matched well
3. You're pushing them in the cold (although given the
weather lately it doesn't sound likely)
4. A bad lot made it through Q.C. (probably the cause)

I myself run type r's and 3 alpine amps and am very happy with them. (I'm not saying I wouldn't be pissed too), but for the most part I think you're going to hear mostly good things about alpine.

It happens I guess (I bought a sony amp from SS back in the day, and I went through three of them in a week... but then again it's sony...)

futurecivic
01-24-2005, 01:19 AM
i have 4 10" type s and have had a problem at all a good idea build a box specifically for the alpine watch your setting and dont be stupid with them and they will definetly last and im sure people here will agree

Gspotracer
01-24-2005, 01:53 AM

I have blown my two 10" Alpine Type-S Dual 4 ohm subs THREE TIMES in the last week; I've had htem replaced each time but it's getting rediculous. I'm not evenc ranking them.

My 12" kick holds up fine, but the Alpines just arn't lasting. Soundsaround told me that "they've had 30 of them blow up in January alone, and that the current Type-S's are real POS and that I should switch to Rockfords."

What does tha tell you?

I've had several Alpine subs over the years & had no problems, However I have blown 2 Kicker subs in the past so I would have to disagree.

A790
01-24-2005, 02:15 AM
My amp is a Octane R 500x1, which is currently tuned to the bare minimum setting. The bass on the deck is also as low as I can get it.

I did some investigating here...

I put in my Kicker Comp 12". Turned the amp to hallf (just the bass setting- everything else was left alone) and the bass on the deck to neutral. Turned up to as loud as my ears could take it... fine. Turned the amp to full... still fine. No distortion, nothing.

Take out the kicker, throw back in TWO NEW TYPE-S's. Amp is at minimum, deck is at zero. I play an SPL CD at half volume for 30 mins or so (while I cook dinner for myself) to allow the subs a bit of play to stretch the surrounds a bit.Turn it up as loud as I can... fine. Turn the amp to half... the left sub went.

Now, I'm only giving these subs 250 watts of power RMS each when the amp is tuned for maximum output...

I'm not going to recommend Alpine to anyone. I had their old Type-S, the SVC, and loved it. The new DVC's don't seem to be the same quality... back to Kicker I go.

Sorry, but that is rediculous. I could see if I was running 1000 watts to the subs but I'm not; I'm giving 500 between the two of them.

I had thought that maybe the -30 weather was doing it, but it was +10 today so I figured that was hogwash. Whatever; I'll never buy another Alpine product again.

cycosis
01-24-2005, 02:57 AM
my two s10s went this summer and alpine wouldnt replace em. howd u get yours replaced?

rahim
01-24-2005, 03:12 AM
Which model phoenix gold are you using? and are the subs in a sealed or ported box? and what deck do you have?

ryder_23
01-24-2005, 03:29 AM
What are you running the dvcs? In a series or parrallel? maybe its how your wiring it up. Whats your amp stable at. is it 500 x 1 2ohm?

and what are the subs, 4ohm x 4ohm dvc?

A790
01-24-2005, 02:04 PM
They are in a sealed box, and the deck doesn't really matter. It's an old Pioneer Premier Cassette deck + 6 disc changer.

The amp is rated at 500watts x 1 at 2 ohms; the subs are dual 4 ohm coils. Since you can't wire those subs up to a 2 ohm load, you get something around 2.8 ohms or something...

I personally havn't done the math, I'm only going by what Soundsaround has told me. I got them to install it because a friend of mine works there and got me a deal. Next time I'll do my own install, that way I know what goes wrong if anything does.

The subs are wired in parrallel though; they should each be getting a fair amount of juice. But again, putting my single Kicker 12" Comp up on a 4 ohm load works fine... so I'm banking that the subs are just not what they used to be.

Too bad.

ryder_23
01-24-2005, 02:13 PM
If parralel is what i'm thinking (correct me if i'm wrong) you take both subs down to 2ohm impedance, and if you bridge that, your running 1ohm. I dont see with any calculations with your specs, that you can 2.8ohms.

in series they will run at 4ohms.
In a parralell they will run at 2ohms. (both subs bridged at the end)

If this is the actual case, your running your amp at 1ohm, instead of its stable load of 2ohm. I'm surprised you havnt blown your amp if this truly is the case, and this might possibly be a reason why your blowing your subs.

cressida_pimpin
01-24-2005, 02:16 PM

What does tha tell you?

it means u gotta get on the phone to alpine and demand that u want new subs. i did that and they hooked me up with r's of the same size. they are awsome ppl at alpine!!!:thumbsup:

core_upt
01-24-2005, 02:33 PM
I work in the industry and Alpine has a recall on all type S subs, 10's and 12's, 2ohm and 4ohm configurations. They have now corrected the problem and will replace all defective pieces purchased through an authorized dealer. If you have purchased these subs recently, bring them back with proof of purchase and you should be taken care of as soon as Alpine can ship new product.

rahim
01-24-2005, 02:43 PM
btw the dudes at soundsurround screwed you with the amp, when you switch your subs make sure they give you the 2ohm models so you can get more then 150 watts from your amp

BumpinTalon
01-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Alpine has recalled a lot of shit lately... the entire first run of the Type X 10s and 12s, and now Type S subs. trust me, when you get it working, you will enjoy the Type S pair more ethen the Kicker. try and see if you can get the single 4 ohm ones, though, that way you can run your amp at 2 ohms and get a decent amount of juice to your Alpines.

rahim
01-25-2005, 02:59 AM
^^^^^^
newest model type S only comes in DVC

SUPRAPHAT
01-25-2005, 03:19 AM
I have owned both Alpine Type S 10's and in my current setup I have 2 Type R 12's and have never had an issue. Great quality subs!

Now that I'm in the industry though, I can wait to hand over my car to MTX for some Thunder 9500 subs and their Thunder 1501D amp!!! Fuckin insane shit!! And at a hell of a price!

Jason

Ben
01-25-2005, 04:53 AM
Never been an Alpine speaker fan, but their decks are the best. :thumbsup:

A790
01-25-2005, 04:27 PM
So I've switched over to JL Audio 10W6's instead of the Alpine... they wanted me to get into the Type-R's... to hell with that.:D :drama:

rahim
01-25-2005, 04:37 PM
nice subs :bigpimp:
you might want to think about switching amps those w6's can handle more forsure

Weapon_R
01-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Soundsaround has the W6's? Are they the v2 or v1? And what is the retail on them?

BumpinTalon
01-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Soundsaround only has v2 and the 10" is somewhere around $650... maybe he meant W3v2?

Weapon_R
01-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
Soundsaround only has v2 and the 10" is somewhere around $650... maybe he meant W3v2?

maybe - i can't see a store upgrading an entry level sub for one of JL's premier speakers unless he paid the difference.

A790
01-26-2005, 03:01 AM
argh.... 10W3 V2's sorry. My bad.

And yea, I paid about $150 for the pair (got a credit on my two Type-S's and I know a lot of the guys there).