PDA

View Full Version : Airsoft Question

MidnightDreamer
01-24-2005, 04:51 PM
I want to get an airsoft pistol, just for fun. I don't really intend on getting into the sport or anything. I just want to know weather an EBB type weapon or a springer type would be more suitable for me... I understand the EBB ones would be less powerful, about 120fps... Would this be suitable for just for fun type of combat with friends? With light protection of course... eyewear etc... What are the advantages of a springer over an EBB type? I know the springers need to be cocked for each shot, but they are more powerful right? If anything I would want to get a SIG P228 EBB, but I can't find a dealer in Calgary that has this one... Rangers Airsoft has the SIG P228 in a springer version... But right now I am leaning towards an EBB type weapon...

On a side note, these guns look pretty real, so it would be kind of an issue just getting together with friends to play in some forrest or sumthing wouldn't it? Also, would an impact from a bb at 120fps really hurt much? I was told you'd only need decent eye protection to play at these kinds of speeds...

Any suggestions or noob info for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced for the replies.

JAYMEZ
01-24-2005, 07:30 PM
Do not get the gun unless you are playing Airsoft. But as for your question , a Springer is a waste of money , EBB is probably your best bet for the two , 1. You have the blow back 2. It will shoot over 200fps. As for playing with it in the forest , you will get arrested for it , Airsoft guns are Replicas and a Police officer will not be able to determine if it is real or not ... And no Springers are not more powerful in a hand gun. Thats why they only shoot 120fps , where most AEG or GBB or EBB shoot over 200-500fps.

As for the side note. Airsoft guns are not legal or illegal...
Airsoft guns are true replicas of the guns they immitate , and in Canada replicas are ILLEGAL , BUT replica guns do not fire , so it is not called a Replica because of that , so it goes under the category or a BB gun... but its not a BB gun , so it is a very Grey Area....

As for the BB hurting at 120fps , no it will not hurt at all. BBs only weigh 20g-35gs , where as a paintball weighs about 45.

But if you want to try out Airsoft , you can PM me for details on our games. I currently own an ICS M4 R.I.S.

So my advice to you is , dont get an airsoft gun unless you are going to use it for airsoft. Otherwise you will give us Airsoft guys a bad rep.

MidnightDreamer
01-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Hey thanks for the information...
For sure I understand your concerns... It's happened in our city more than a few times when kids are out playing with these and cops are called in to deal with them... They look totally real. As for the Glock 18C I wanted, it's EBB, but it only fires at 120fps. I was told 120fps is hardly an effective field speed, and that I'd be toally outgunned if I was to play with only this... I was told for Calgary specifically that there is a 1000$ fine for having a chambered bb in one of thse guns within city limits, under this premise I assumed it would be relatively safe to play outside of the city on an privately owned acreridge or something. I would be totally interested in participating in the sport, but getting into it seems pretty expensive. I just want the gun for home use, and maybe once in a while out in the country to shoot cans and stuff. That's it.

Superesc
01-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Joinning an airsoft club does not require a lot of gears or money and its much safer. They usually rent out Paintball places (indoor/outdoor) for games. I would HIGHLY suggest you don't take it out in public unless its a PRIVATE acre where you do have permission to play in. Airsoft don't need anymore bad publicity with people not playing with care (in public) and causing a disturbance and problems for the police. You might want to contact Kenc here on beyond. He can hook you up with people who play and also equipments.

MidnightDreamer
01-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the advice... I wouldn't be taking this thing out anywhere public...

JAYMEZ
01-24-2005, 11:21 PM
For more info on Airsoft , check out http://www.jocairsoft.com/

Ekbusta
01-25-2005, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
BBs only weigh 20g-35gs , where as a paintball weighs about 45.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

MidnightDreamer
01-25-2005, 01:52 AM
Yea, that makes sense... But there's fundamental differences in the way these two things impact an object... Are the impact velocities similar between the two sports? I always assumed a bb would be more dangerous in an impact since the area of the bb is so small. I always assumed bb's might be capable of penetrating flesh. Also, paintballs will explode on impact which helps to dissipate some of it's energy during and impact, I don't think bb's do that.

How does an airsoft game work anyways? When you're shot do you leave the playfield? How do you count a hit when there are no markers to indicate an impact?

Ashkente
01-25-2005, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by MidnightDreamer
Yea, that makes sense... But there's fundamental differences in the way these two things impact an object... Are the impact velocities similar between the two sports? I always assumed a bb would be more dangerous in an impact since the area of the bb is so small. I always assumed bb's might be capable of penetrating flesh. Also, paintballs will explode on impact which helps to dissipate some of it's energy during and impact, I don't think bb's do that.

How does an airsoft game work anyways? When you're shot do you leave the playfield? How do you count a hit when there are no markers to indicate an impact?

BB's are only .20-.45g typically, so the difference is paintballs have a lot more mass. The bb's won't penetrate flesh unless it's some ridiculous circumstance (ie, looking down the barrel, etc :rofl:) They just sting a bunch if you're pegged on bare skin relatively close. And yes, you leave the play area when you're hit, and they call it by sound/feel or basically the honor system. If you figure you're hit, you call it.