PDA

View Full Version : car alarms?

silverEL
12-17-2002, 12:18 AM
i was wondering what would be a better alarm?
-compustar -pager
-viper-pager
and does anyone know the price difference?

buh_buh
12-17-2002, 12:19 AM
this forum's biased.
Everyone will tell you Compustar haha.

szw
12-17-2002, 12:20 AM
I'm guessing the viper will be more expensive, but if I was getting one of those, I'd go with the viper.

Ajay
12-17-2002, 01:05 AM
I did my research on these for the last couple of weeks cause I'm planning on getting my alarm/starter/pager in January.

My top choices were the Viper 700 Series and the Compustar, the ones you're looking at. If you have a manual transmission then you're pretty much screwed if you're looking for the Viper cause it won't work with a manual, only automatics. Quote my buddy got for the Viper on his 2001 GMC 1500 Series Truck was about $980 installed but he needs a bunch of extra relays to by pass the factory alarm and to trick the computer.

I'm going with the Compustar cause it's got everything I want and it works with my car, it's actually the first one I was looking at getting anyway. The Compustar will probably be cheaper but it all depends on the options you want with your alarm I guess.

silverEL
12-17-2002, 12:38 PM
so the viper wont do standered???

ok so compustar it is!!!

silverEL
12-17-2002, 12:47 PM
where is the best place to go buy an alarm?????
and install it aswell. i know that impressions, does a fine job, but i duno how they are for prices. does anyone know prices for different stores in calgary? im goin shopping for alarms tonite, so any help would be greatly appriciated.

ninspeed
12-17-2002, 01:03 PM
We did an install of a viper pager alarm on a malibu of all cars.. but i liked it.. had good range. But gms suck becuase you have to put this little ring around the ing. cylender to by pass the passlock system.

silverEL
12-17-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by ninspeed
We did an install of a viper pager alarm on a malibu of all cars.. but i liked it.. had good range. But gms suck becuase you have to put this little ring around the ing. cylender to by pass the passlock system.

"WE" as in who? what store?

szw
12-17-2002, 04:58 PM
I think autodream and impressions will be pretty much the same price for the compustar. Just call them both and ask

James
12-17-2002, 05:50 PM
I have the Predator 2-way paging alarm, basically a compustar wannabe..does the job for me..i like it alot...Got it for $500 even,( after a little haggling) Installed at Visions on Mcleod. they did a wicked job! And theres even a little picture of a Supra on the remote! lol :bigpimp:

ninspeed
12-17-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by silverEL

"WE" as in who? what store?
Jack Carter's Pro Shop.. do mostly gms, but i have seem some other makes get installs.. but the guy doing the installs there is trying to make some $$ on the side.. so if you buy it, he will install it cheeper than most other places.. PM me

silverEL
12-18-2002, 09:31 AM
what about alpine? any dirt on them???

boi-alien
12-18-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by silverEL
where is the best place to go buy an alarm?????
and install it aswell. i know that impressions, does a fine job, but i duno how they are for prices. does anyone know prices for different stores in calgary? im goin shopping for alarms tonite, so any help would be greatly appriciated.

autodream ask for nguyen

yakish
12-18-2002, 10:02 AM
if i were you, i'd take viper. It is cheaper , but the diferrence between them is not so much

silverEL
12-18-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by crxboi

autodream ask for nguyen

number? address?

silverEL
12-18-2002, 01:58 PM
but is that just for the starter???

That.Guy.S30
12-18-2002, 08:34 PM
the new viper alarm has an lcd remote just liek the compustar and personally i would get that one instead of the compustar.. since it has sensors around ur car and shit.. i have a compustar and its not as great as u think.. and the thing about compustars and manuals is that they dont install them anymore.. what a bitch eh?.. a&b does a clean ass install on the compustar system on autos.. they stopped doin manuals since there were a couple of incidents..
good luck pickin

12V
12-18-2002, 11:11 PM
I'm an installer, I can help you out. E-mail me for Details

95acc
12-18-2002, 11:16 PM
The Viper unit is a good unit if you have ALOT more money to spend. The Viper unit is about $700 PLUS INSTALL, You can get a compustar for about $500 installed.

And ninspeed you should look into getting some new modules to bypass factory security. There is no reason that you should be installing those outdated modules. You should not have to put a ring around the ignition of ANY GM vehicle the have mods. that you hard wire in and they are flawless. much easier to install as well. Just a thought.

That.Guy.S30
12-19-2002, 08:14 PM
yea i know its alot but damn.. i find it way better then the compustar.. i would trade for it anyday

silverEL
12-19-2002, 10:11 PM
is a car alarm really worth it? if a thief really want something in your car, hes gunna get it.

That.Guy.S30
12-22-2002, 10:17 PM
but its a way of preventin dumbasses fuckin with ur car.. see.. if u have a car alarm.. most likely ull hear it goin off.. and most likely u can grab ur bat and chase after them.. but if u dont.. well then.. u dont.. it also depends on where u live.. what kind of car u have.. and what u have in it..

95acc
12-23-2002, 09:25 AM
There are modules out there that you do not need to give up a key. they wire into the security harnesses, they are from automobility i belive.

impressive
12-23-2002, 09:07 PM
They work really good they make units for all vehicles so you never have to give up a key.