PDA

View Full Version : Salt

Khyron
01-25-2005, 09:51 AM
So I consume a HUGE amount of salt. I use at least 2 packets on McDonalds fries just to give perspective. I use tons on white rice, hamburgers, steak, peas - pretty much everything except breakfast.

Now, I drink a shitload of water, and my blood pressure is slightly below normal (not a lot of stress).

So aside from dehydration and high blood pressure, what are possible concequences of my high salt intake? Any benefits?

It's pretty much my only vice left. :(

Khyron

lint
01-25-2005, 10:46 AM
I was thinking it would put more stress on your kidneys, but google turned up this article:
http://rx.magazine.tripod.com/lw_20010309.htm

Time to cut down

GTS Jeff
01-25-2005, 11:12 AM
dude go buy some mrs. dash :D

1badPT
01-25-2005, 11:30 AM
If you're weight training it has advantages - salt makes you retain water. This helps because most nutrients your muscles need are water soluble and if they are able to hold more water, they can hold more nutrients - that may mean an extra rep at the gym or a faster recovery time, etc.

If its just your normal diet yeah there are some definite risks to eating too much salt but the nice thing about salt is its very much a tolerance thing. IE if you have more, you'll need more to taste the salt. Wean yourself off it for a while then when you have at it again you won't need so much to get your salt fix.

Finally its good that you drink so much water. If you must have lots of salt in your diet, higher than average water intake will leech that salt back out of your body.

awd
01-25-2005, 11:31 AM
Switch to sea salt dude, much better for you than refined salt if you insist on using so much.

GucciBoy
01-26-2005, 12:24 AM
agree with sea salt, thats what I use. I never touch table salt, so bad for you, high in iodine. Sea salt is good for cleansing your system, tastes better too! Its just like oil. Dont use canola or veg oil, use extra virgin olive oil!