PDA

View Full Version : Car rental companies

3G
01-25-2005, 03:14 PM
Does anyone here who work for a car rental company know if they are hiring part-time car jockeys?

method
01-25-2005, 05:25 PM
dont work for budget. that's all I have to say. :burnout:

Speed_69
01-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by method
dont work for budget. that's all I have to say. :burnout:
why not? i wanted to go apply there haha

method
01-25-2005, 08:55 PM
they're a very poorly run franchise.

WWJAI
01-25-2005, 09:00 PM
well your only working for the money and you get to drive the cars around so it doesn't seem too bad

DonJuan
01-25-2005, 10:50 PM
I work for Hertz, but first you need a clean drivers abstract for the last 2 years (new drivers are subject to review) and be over the age of 18 to work for Hertz. Budget from what I understand allows you to be under 18 (must have clean drivers liscence). But they take the first $500 you make as a deposit and if you crash a car or quit you loose your deposit. Avis over 25 (all I know about them is that only old guys work for em). National (Alamo) is also 18 and over.

3G
01-25-2005, 11:14 PM
I'm 18, have had my drivers license for 1.5 years, clean record, drivers training. Would I be able to get a job with one of the companies?

604-Mico
01-26-2005, 12:42 AM
Dont see why they wouldnt hire you....besides the fact that they dont need to hire anymore ppl

Depends where you apply and when you apply too IMO

During winter, its an offseason compared to summer so usually cut back hours from the full timers and part timers

P.S. Try avis...they dont penalize you for crappy driving.
As long as you report any accidents, you are OK

If you do get the car jockey job, have fun ruining their cars
try not to wrap them around any poles in the parking lot....lol

5hift
01-26-2005, 01:25 AM
If your not used to driving nice cars around, or are younger it seems like a cool job at first. After a while when driving cars around all day you realize you are doing the same work as a taxi driver only getting paid less. If that doesnt make you hate your job having to clean out a few disgustingly returned cars will.

Also now because of all the abuse that happens to their cars most rental places will fire you if you get one speeding ticket or if there is any questionable damage to a car you drove.

Most of this is coming from my friend who is a Manager for Discount Car Rental.

hockeybronx
01-26-2005, 02:50 AM
I looked into going with National Car Rental from the Airport. They were looking for car jockeys and cleaners a while ago on Calgaryjobshop.ca

It's $7.00 per hour though, so I said to hell with it!

3G
01-26-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
I looked into going with National Car Rental from the Airport. They were looking for car jockeys and cleaners a while ago on Calgaryjobshop.ca

It's $7.00 per hour though, so I said to hell with it!

I had an interview there, the lady doing the interview said i had a good chance of getting a job there but then I nver heard back from them? :dunno:

Speed_69
01-26-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Khali
If your not used to driving nice cars around, or are younger it seems like a cool job at first. After a while when driving cars around all day you realize you are doing the same work as a taxi driver only getting paid less. If that doesnt make you hate your job having to clean out a few disgustingly returned cars will.

Also now because of all the abuse that happens to their cars most rental places will fire you if you get one speeding ticket or if there is any questionable damage to a car you drove.

Most of this is coming from my friend who is a Manager for Discount Car Rental.
This one guy told me he hads a friend that works at a car rental company (i forget which one) but they are allowed to have 3 car accidents before they are fired. i was like WTF!!

blinkme_210
01-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Being a car jockey is not very fun, trust me. I did it 2 years ago, and just like you guys, I thought it can't be that bad, getting to drive cars all day. How wrong I was. When your job is to drive cars around, all of a sudden everywhere you drive to seems to be a lot closer. Time SLOWSSS DOWN :nut:

Speed_69
01-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
Being a car jockey is not very fun, trust me. I did it 2 years ago, and just like you guys, I thought it can't be that bad, getting to drive cars all day. How wrong I was. When your job is to drive cars around, all of a sudden everywhere you drive to seems to be a lot closer. Time SLOWSSS DOWN :nut:
which company did you work for and how much did you get paid?
do you also get alot of hrs and are they flexible on scheduling?

Zoom_Zoom
01-26-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69

it's like 7-7.50/hour for like 25 hours a week

blinkme_210
01-26-2005, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69

I worked at Hertz during that summer. Full time for 2 months, Monday to Friday for $7.50/hour.