PDA

View Full Version : Knee Brace coverage?

Shaolin
01-25-2005, 06:48 PM
For those who uses/d a knee brace, are they covered by Alberta Health Care? I can't seem to find any info on google through Alberta Health Care..

thanx.

1badPT
01-25-2005, 07:07 PM
If you have a health and dental plan (private or through work) check your "durable medical equipment coverage".

Failing that (give me a call - I sell private plans :D) check with Aids to Daily living, they may help you if you fit certain criteria. Good luck.

R-Audi
01-26-2005, 11:35 AM
I got mine thru a Universiy health plan.... but the brace wasnt mandatory, only reccomended... i think it woul depend on the severity of the injury.

Shaolin
01-26-2005, 12:06 PM
so your brace wasn't mandatory and the University covered it?

1badPT
01-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Any plan with durable medical equipment coverage should cover the brace on a doctor's recommendation.

Shaolin
01-26-2005, 12:21 PM
well I was just reading over my benefits at work here and it says Braces are covered only if it's not solely for athletic purposes.. I think i'm screwed, i'm waiting for my surgeon to get back to me so I know what her intentions of a brace was.

1badPT
01-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Phone your insurer - if its only going to be used for sports then yeah you'll probably be paying that one out of pocket. But if its one that you need to keep on all the time, you'll probably have coverage for it, even if its treating a sports injury.

R-Audi
01-26-2005, 03:23 PM
All I had to get was a letter from the doctor saying that I had a knee injury, and could use a brace. I mostly use it for athletic purposes, but they dont really have to know that.

Shaolin
01-26-2005, 03:24 PM
surgeon just got back to me.. looks like the brace is classified as "ACL Deficient" so I need to wear it at any time i feel like the knee is going to give out.. so i might have a shot of getting it covered.