PDA

View Full Version : Moving to another city for 6 weeks - Where would you stay?

Weapon_R
01-25-2005, 07:12 PM
Here's a scenario:

You are moving to Winnipeg. You don't know anyone, nor do you have a place to stay.

What would you do (keeping the costs reasonable). I don't think a landlord would rent you a place for 6 weeks. This makes you a very unattractive tenant.

Skylinelover
01-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Hotel it?

turbo'dGSR
01-25-2005, 07:29 PM
have u never travelled? stay in a hostel. you can usually find a decent one with a single or twin room.

marq-jt
01-25-2005, 07:33 PM
how bout a motel cheaper than a hotel...but then again most motel are crappy... if yah can find a nice one the nur set... lol

make friends with people down there maybe they will let you stay with the mfor a night or 2..... lol

D'z Nutz
01-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Here's a scenario:

You are moving to Winnipeg.

What an awful scenario!!

But seriously, if it were me, I'd make friendly with some fellow Winnipeg Beyonders pretty quickly.

Weapon_R
01-25-2005, 09:35 PM
It's actually not Winnipeg, it's Windsor ;)

I just used winnipeg because I figured it was pretty desolate, so anything in winnipeg would HAVE to be everywhere else.

Anyways, your suggestions aren't really feasible. Motel rates are AT MIN. $50/night, thats like 2grand for 45 days. I could rent a full house for 2 months.

A hostel sounds like a good idea. What are the average rates in Canada for a hostel?

the-240sx-guy
01-25-2005, 09:40 PM
if u are planning on staying at motels, i think alot of them offer extended stay rates, making it alot more affordable to stay there

t-im
try to find homes that accomodate short-term stays, or at least ensure wherever you stay has a kitchenette at least...motels/hotels =eating out for everything

1badPT
http://hostelscanada.com/
http://www.hihostels.ca/

If you find a hotel off the beaten path you may be able to strike a deal with the owner. Hostels are great, but they are not for everyone, especially if you need your "space".

ricosuave
01-25-2005, 09:52 PM
dude, honestly, hostels are the way to go when travelling.

trust me.

rico

ricosuave
01-25-2005, 09:54 PM
but then i reerad and saw that it was for 6 weeks.

well, for the first week or 2, hostel it until you meet someone?

rico

Weapon_R
01-25-2005, 09:58 PM
You guys keep insisting that I "meet someone"...STOP! :rofl:

I'm not going there to make friends. I have a small project to do, and i'm coming back after I finish, if all goes as planned. I'm trying to plan now so I won't be left with my dick in my hands when May comes around, which is all too quickly.

I think i'm going to motel it for 3 days, while I find a basement to rent for the time i'm there. Then, just leave after the 6 weeks are done...does anyone see any flaws with this?

cityhunter2501
01-25-2005, 10:55 PM
whats the difference between hostel and hotel? :confused:

davidI
01-25-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501
whats the difference between hostel and hotel? :confused:

In a hostel you can end up bunking with people you don't know. There is a communal kitchen that everyone shares and it's basically just a place to travel light and cheap. It's different everywhere of course but that's the basics. I think you need some sort of hostel card for most of them.

3G
01-25-2005, 11:10 PM
I have some cousins down there who might be able to get you in with some buddies or something.

5.9 R/T
01-26-2005, 03:59 AM
Why not rent an RV? It's dead season so rates will be dirt cheap, has all the ammenities of a house plus you won't have to put the km on your own car getting there.

Weapon_R
01-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by 3G
I have some cousins down there who might be able to get you in with some buddies or something.

I'll talk to you on msn - I just need a guide or something for a couple of days until I can get a place to stay

toyboy88
01-26-2005, 11:55 AM
here? (http://www.hostelworld.com/findabed.php/ChosenCity.Winnipeg/ChosenCountry.Canada)

bol
01-26-2005, 12:15 PM
Check around for rooms for rent posted at local universities/colleges. Somebody always has a room to rent and tenants never stay long.

Dave P
01-26-2005, 12:39 PM
Find a place where you dont have to sign up for a lease. you dont have to tell the landlord how long your staying

sputnik
01-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Most hostels wont allow stays longer than 2 weeks and the hostels in Winnipeg are in pretty sketchy areas. I lived in Winnipeg for 22 years and know the area quite well.

Ask for help on Winnipeg's version of Beyond.

http://www.winnipegheigts.com

ex1z7
01-28-2005, 11:02 AM
Just meet a girl, sweet talk her, and move on in - then leave when you want to...

Or rent a basement/room from someone accepting of students (which iono if you are, but if they like students they generally like most people..)

I've had borders a couple times when my parents were out of town for months at a time :)

MrHeavyFoot
01-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Have you considered university dorms? You probably wouldn't have much luck getting in right now, but a lot of universities rent out there dorms to whoever wants them during the summer months. If you're not going until May, it might be an option.

Also, apartment-hotels usually have monthly/weekly rates. Generally cheaper than a regular hotel/motel, more expensive than an apartment.

ehos
01-29-2005, 01:01 AM
Rent a room. (Check the local papers for 'roommates' wanted, or room and board, etc)

You don't have to leave deposits, you can usually stay/leave as you want. And I BETCHA you can find a room for around 3-400 for the month.

Forget Hotels or Hostels, you'll want to kill yourself after a few weeks.