PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Problems!!

Neil4Speed
01-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Wow, well then, this is quite the odd experience.

I bought a Maxtor 200gb Hard Drive about 4 days ago, and it didn't work striaght out of the box, go figure right?

Then I buy a 200GB Seagate Hard Drive, last night, get it working, install XP, turn off the computer, mount it on, and now it makes a beeping sound (the hard drive not the PC Speaker! I know its impossible, but it must be the platter touching or something!!), and doesn't recognize.

What the hell could be wrong? Two totally different new hard drives both kaput?! I am gonna get a new cable no matter what, you guys think the PS might be acting up?

Any ideas would be really helpful

Thanks

Khyron
01-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Could be power but it also could be a screwed IDE controller. Try using the same plug you use for your cd rom drive and see if that works.

Edit - and you're SURE you didn't put the cable on backwards?

Khyron

Xtrema
01-25-2005, 08:47 PM
What processor is on your mobo, what kind video card and what size is your PS? Is this the only HD?

abc1
01-25-2005, 09:07 PM
The beep is telling you something is wrong, don't know exactly what since there are different beeps for different problems. If you can find out what the beep means, then you might get your problem solved. Hope this helps.

Neil4Speed
01-25-2005, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

It could be the IDE controller, but I never had any problems before with my old 80gig maxtor (which still works fine lol).

I am positive about the cable lol, it can't go the other way either, I tried (just to check) and it won't

I have an AMD XP 2000+, Video card is a TI-4200, and my PS is 300W. Now here is an interesting point, The drive stopped working only AFTER I plugged in my 80gig maxtor as the slave.

The "beeps" if you can call it that is coming from the hard drive, I think something is spinning badly or something

abc1
01-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

The "beeps" if you can call it that is coming from the hard drive, I think something is spinning badly or something

Oh, the noise is coming from the hard drive not from the mobo. I don't think what I posted before will really help then, sorry.

ricosuave
01-25-2005, 10:22 PM
what if you unplug all cdrom drives and just do the hd's?

is you power supply big enough?

rico

Khyron
01-25-2005, 10:57 PM
And you have the jumpers right? Put the new drive master and make sure it's on the end of the cable, old 80 slave and put it on the middle connector. Reverse master/slave as well. Possible your bios can't understand a drive that large - you might need a flash.

Khyron

AllGoNoShow
01-25-2005, 11:34 PM
Or an OS which can bypass the BIOS detecting how big the HDD is *FreeBSD for example*

Neil4Speed
01-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Well, first and formost, I would like to thank everyone for their valuable imput and effort in trying to help me out.

I dunno it was wierd, I started playing around with the jumpers and it all of a sudden worked!

Well, thats good, now I am just installing all my new stuff.

Thanks again everyone!!!

/////AMG
01-27-2005, 09:19 AM
I have the 200GB Seagate Hard Drive aswell, when I press a whole bunch of buttons or too many at one time it beeps (especially in games). Although I have been having a few problems with my HD too, it constantly freezes and unfreezes (until I ge tlucky and it stops).

You have a 7 day exchange on it right?

Khyron
01-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by /////AMG
I have the 200GB Seagate Hard Drive aswell, when I press a whole bunch of buttons or too many at one time it beeps (especially in games). Although I have been having a few problems with my HD too, it constantly freezes and unfreezes (until I ge tlucky and it stops).

That doesn't sound even remotely like a harddrive problem. My guess is you have bad drivers, spyware, or possibly power issues.

Khyron

Neil4Speed
01-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by /////AMG

You have a 7 day exchange on it right?

Woh thats so wierd! Well, like, I have been playing Doom 3 for a bit (running off the hd) and its been working ok. But isn't it wierd how the hard drive "beeps?" I have never heard ors omething liek this happening.

I would return your drive asap. I believe MemEX has a 7 day refund/exchange, and a 1 year warentee through them, and 4 after that through seagate. Thats the reason why I bought the drive, 5 year warrentys are nice. And the drive runs a helluva lot cooler than the Maxtor.

I still wonder what the 16mb cache would have been like though :rolleyes: