PDA

View Full Version : The NHLPA and owners can all rot in hell.

88CRX
01-25-2005, 08:25 PM
First let me start by saying im a die hard hockey fan.

I love it.

GO FLAMES GO!

But i almost dont care anymore.... fuck the players...... fuck the owners. Fuck the whole leaque. I wish i could simply boycott the dam leaque when/if they ever decide to pull the heads out of their asses and play hockey again.

I dont understand how the NHLPA is convincing the players that they have a case and will some how "win" this fight. The players have zero leverage.

I dont understand why the owner dont just bring in 'replacement' players and say fuck the players association. If you wanna play in our league, under out rules, then lace it up. If not, go play in Europe for $500/week or whatever change there paying them and dont come back. There are tons of players (IMO) that will play under a cap if the owners pull that stunt. Players that play hockey because they love to play, the money is just a plus.

The only plus to this dam strike is that i'll now be able to hook up some sweet season tickets since the bandwagon is long long gone.

/end rant. i wanna see hockey.

JordanLotoski
01-25-2005, 08:40 PM
yeah they get paid way to much for what they do, i hope baseball and all other sports will follow, doing this will hopefully bring ticket prices down

5hift
01-25-2005, 08:55 PM
The only sport besides hockey in North America that does not have a cap is baseball. However you cannot compare baseball to hockey because one baseball team alone brings in more revenue than they entire NHL (the NY Yankees).

It comes down to this: the players dont seem to realize that they are working for a buisness. The way things were going to league would go bankrupt in the next 10 years with salaries exceeding profits. It may not seem like it in Canada, but the NHL was already dying before the lockout. I remember reading in Sports Illustrated that in the US , the WNBA and professional golf have more viewers than the NHL does (very sad for such a great sport).

I cant believe they arent willing to take a pay cut to play a sport. It isnt even most of the NHL either, the players being targeted are those of salaries of 8 million or more I believe. The players who make the minumum would actually get more with the new agreement. I think the owners should just wait it out and not even try to bargin. When those million dollar offshore accounts dry up and the players cant afford to fill up their 100,000 cars with gas they will come crawling back.

gggunit
01-27-2005, 01:36 PM
watch.. Lacross its more exciting.. Ive gotten into it lately too.. and NBC is picking up the Allstar game in Calgary

Def_3
01-27-2005, 01:43 PM
I think they should dump the NHL, buy out contracts and star a new league

benyl
01-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Why isn't the season cancelled yet? They keep extending the deadline from what I can tell. I remember the media saying in early January that if they didn't reach a settlement that day, it would be cancelled.

hyperwhite
01-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Players that play hockey because they love to play, the money is just a plus.

unless their name is Jagr ;)

i'm more pissed at the owners then the players because they absoloutly will not budge and dont care if they miss a season or two. what i find funny is that some of the teams pushing hardest for a cap probably will fold before all this is settled

ninjak84
01-27-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Why isn't the season cancelled yet?

It's been cancelled since December, it just isn't official.

Yeah I don't know how much more shit I can talk about the players anymore. The lockout has been going on for a while now, so I'm not as mad as I was in November, but I'm still going to be bitter about the NHL for many years to come.

brandon
01-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
yeah they get paid way to much for what they do, i hope baseball and all other sports will follow, doing this will hopefully bring ticket prices down

i agree 100x! It cost's a arm and a leg to go get good hockey seats and spend the night out there now in days.

DonJuan
01-27-2005, 03:28 PM
I started out against the NHLPA but since their last offer which gave the owners everything they wanted WITHOUT having to resort to a hard salary cap ut instead a soft one (the one Linden presented) I changed sides. Anyone else heard the story that the NHL owners have been putting money away since '95 (beginning of the last CBA) for a whole season without hockey. They fact is they've planned this from the start. They want to try and break the NHLPA and have them completely capitulate for no reason other than their belief that if they had waited 2 more weeks in '95 the NHLPA would have met them half way (th NHLPA were the bastards in '95). This is why we don't have hockey, and also why you won't see me renewing my Flames season tickets or at games for that matter for a very long time....
Bettman: Fuck you! :guns:
Goodenow: Fuck you too! (For not doing shit) :guns:
Linden: Your cool, You did your best (Next Commish) :thumbsup:

End Rant:whipped:

88CRX
01-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

linden is an ass clown..... why cant they play under a cap?

oh ya.... there greedy

Marsh
01-27-2005, 07:30 PM
Yeah, bring in replacement playes! ie MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!:D
But really...NHLPA needs to stfu and take a paycut...there's no way on earth they can justify to anybody(themselves included) that they need/deserve that much money

Roadrage
01-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Seriously though, everything else is taken care of for the players. Insurance, health care, any type of surgery, equipment, you name it, the team provides it. You think that doesn't cost any money? If a player needs an MRI, he gets it within the first 2-3 days, whereas mere mortals like you or I can wait months. Aside from the millions (and ones that make "only" a few hundred thousand), what other worries do they have? They get hurt playing pick up basketball in the off season and tear an ACL, who pays for the surgery? Their team does.

What the NHLPA offered recently will only be a temporary reprieve (maybe 5 years max). A luxury tax does not work (look at the NY Yankees, BoSox in baseball for example). Do you really think the big teams like the Rangers, Leafs, Red Wings, etc. will care if they have to pay an extra 5 or 6 million a year if it means they will get a good shot at Lord Stanleys Mug?

hyperwhite
01-28-2005, 02:51 PM
a lux tax will work if its strict enough. the one in baseball is a joke, the yankees are the only team it affects and they dont give a shit so baseball salaries will keep skyrocketing

zoorocz
01-28-2005, 08:17 PM

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

linden is an ass clown..... why cant they play under a cap?

oh ya.... there greedy

ther just trying to put food on the table for there families :rolleyes: :cry:

gongSHOW
01-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan
I started out against the NHLPA but since their last offer which gave the owners everything they wanted WITHOUT having to resort to a hard salary cap ut instead a soft one (the one Linden presented) I changed sides. Anyone else heard the story that the NHL owners have been putting money away since '95 (beginning of the last CBA) for a whole season without hockey. They fact is they've planned this from the start. They want to try and break the NHLPA and have them completely capitulate for no reason other than their belief that if they had waited 2 more weeks in '95 the NHLPA would have met them half way (th NHLPA were the bastards in '95). This is why we don't have hockey, and also why you won't see me renewing my Flames season tickets or at games for that matter for a very long time....
Bettman: Fuck you! :guns:
Goodenow: Fuck you too! (For not doing shit) :guns:

End Rant:whipped:

You have to understand that the NHL is nothing more than a business. As an owner of a business, the owners, who are employing these players deserve the right to have cost certainty. They own the team, there the ones paying the bills and feeding their families. It is obvious that the league is/was loosing substantial amounts of, the NHLPA recognizes that, why else would they propose 24% rollback? If you know that the league, that is employing is loosing substantial amounts of money, why wouldn't you agree to something that will ensure financial stability for years to come and who knows they will probably be making the same amount of money, 5 years from now (binding a new TV contract). yes you'll take a pay cut, but once the league sorts out its economic problems, everyone will be making more money.

PS Linden is a retard

ehos
01-29-2005, 12:41 AM
If it's any comfort, when baseball had a lockout, it almost collapsed the league.

max_boost
01-29-2005, 01:13 AM
The players are absolute fucking idiots, nothing pisses me off than this lockout. Hell I still have the 'Believe posters' from the Flames playoff run in the front window of my restaurant. I love hockey. But I just don't understand how the players are willing to play in Europe, on the other side of the world, in a tier two league, making peanuts, instead of playing at home in North America, in the best league, in front of the best fans, making millions of dollars.

SERIOUSLY SOMEONE TELL ME WTF IS UP WITH THAT. :dunno::banghead: :nut: :guns:

habsfan
01-29-2005, 11:50 AM
ive become so sick of hearing about the lockout... i completely agree with everything 88crx said in the first post. if the players want to remain firm in their no salary cap bullshit, fine. the league should jsut go find new players. obviously the skill level won't be as high, but we would gain something the NHL hasnt seen in decades. EFFORT! if unknown replacement players take over, they would be eccstatic to be in the nhl and play like its a privelage, not a necessity. granted, the product on the ice would likely suffer a bit, but it would also likely be far more entertaining. in short, fuck the current nhlers, find new players. eventually players would crack and come crawling back.

ZEDGE
01-29-2005, 01:20 PM
I think they should fire the whole lot of them and start the league over. But frankly I don't give a rats ass anymore. These sports players are overpaid spoiled brats.

Superesc
01-29-2005, 01:22 PM
I am enjoying watching the Hitmen, actually took my sibilings to watch them few weeks back, they got some skills!

A_3
01-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by habsfan
ive become so sick of hearing about the lockout... i completely agree with everything 88crx said in the first post. if the players want to remain firm in their no salary cap bullshit, fine. the league should jsut go find new players.

Actually it's not that easy. I agree and wish it could be done but there are laws that prevent against it. I think it's possible with the Canadian teams but it becomes alot harder to kick players/employee's out in the states because they're on strike. I'm sure if the NHL could they would, the players would eventually suck it up and come back, I would mind watching a bunch of almost nhl'ers scrapping it out for a couple seasons, might be a nice change of pace.

88CRX
02-02-2005, 02:00 PM
so true :thumbsup:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=113530&hubName=nhl

Ajay
02-02-2005, 02:34 PM

:thumbsup:

That's a good story dude! Really shows the people who play for the love of the game and not to get their face on a Wheaties box or hold out for a huge contract.

I was really optimistic and happy when they started talking on Dec 14 (with the 24% rollback) but now I'm starting not to care. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE HOCKEY but there's no point in all these retarded talks if neither side is going to budge. I think the players need to suck it up and take the cap almost every other sport operates under a cap system.

My prediction ---> After the talks they had today where the NHLPA rejected the new offer tabled by the NHL the season will be called regardless of the fact that Goodenow and Bettman are joining the talks tomorrow. It's just a formality now.....I hope there is hockey but it's gonna be called. What I'de like to see happen is some of the players (who are probably alot) reject the Union and play under the new proposal. Or bring in replacements just like the movie! That'll get the NHLPA all huffy and cause ALOT of players to come back.

gongSHOW
02-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by A_3

Actually it's not that easy. I agree and wish it could be done but there are laws that prevent against it. I think it's possible with the Canadian teams but it becomes alot harder to kick players/employee's out in the states because they're on strike. I'm sure if the NHL could they would, the players would eventually suck it up and come back, I would mind watching a bunch of almost nhl'ers scrapping it out for a couple seasons, might be a nice change of pace.
The players are not on strike. The Owners have locked out the players, there is a huge difference. A lockout means they are withholding work, and suspending operations because they do not wish to operate upon the old CBA. Technically the owners could chose to continue under the old CBA until a new one was signed, but they chose not to, because of the economic instability. If it were a strike, the players would be choosing not to play because poor wage (as if), poor working conditions etc.

bspot
02-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by gongSHOW

The players are not on strike. The Owners have locked out the players, there is a huge difference. A lockout means they are withholding work, and suspending operations because they do not wish to operate upon the old CBA. Technically the owners could chose to continue under the old CBA until a new one was signed, but they chose not to, because of the economic instability. If it were a strike, the players would be choosing not to play because poor wage (as if), poor working conditions etc.

An impasse can be reached in any type of labour negotiation, whether it be a lockout or a strike. In this case it would be quite complicated though because of multiple juristictions. The easiest route is to just let the players rot in hell, and i'm all for it.

Weapon_R
02-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by A_3

Actually it's not that easy. I agree and wish it could be done but there are laws that prevent against it.

Reagan fired all of the air traffic controllers a few years back after they complained about their wages.

What law are you referring to?

eb0i
02-03-2005, 07:13 PM

Reading that makes me even more mad about the whole lockout. I'm all for the replacement players and hope that the owners will do it. I'm not sure about the legality of it all but at this point I really don't care about it at all. I just want to enjoy some professional hockey again.

I'm just overly bitter that our Flames got the butt end of the stick when it is all said and done with. This is exactly like when the Expo's were doing good and had a chance for the world title in baseball. And then the baseball lockout happened and they sucked from then to this date. Could most likely happen to Calgary if the NHL resumes.

As for Trevor Linden, I agree with those who think he's an assclown. What makes me wonder about the NHLPA is why all the "superstars" are the player representatives. It almost seems like its a conflict of interests.

All in all I want hockey back and I hope that the thick skulled NHL players realize that its an owner's league and not a players league, and that in order for them to keep their luxurious lives then they will have to abide to the owners wishes.

I don't know if anyone has posted this page up but it has some great info about the lockout and all the other professional leagues in North America.

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/cba.htm