PDA

View Full Version : Name a protein powder/supplement

GucciBoy
01-25-2005, 11:05 PM
Looking to change my current one, wanting to get some recomendations.

At least 30g protein per shake or cup
Low sugar - prefer under 5g (2g would be even better!)
No milk products- - No or very low fractose

I was thinking trying Soy, cause every one Ive seen so far has milk in it or high in fractose.

YCB
01-25-2005, 11:09 PM
I haven't used many different kinds of protiens.. but honestly i think Optimum nutrition is the best, because it mixes well, taste actually pretty good (chocolate mint), and I think it has 81 or 82% unaltered protien. You can get it for around 45 bux if you order it off the internet.

davidI
01-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Soy causes estrogen production.

Whey is high in milk minerals and lactose.

Why are you looking for such specifics?

edit: If you're willing to spend a lot you can get Whey Isolate which is lower in lactose but you'll have to pay out of the ass for it.

davidI
01-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by YCB
I haven't used many different kinds of protiens.. but honestly i think Optimum nutrition is the best, because it mixes well, taste actually pretty good (chocolate mint), and I think it has 81 or 82% unaltered protien. You can get it for around 45 bux if you order it off the internet.

Optimum is definately one of the best brands out there but it won't fit your criteria.

GucciBoy
01-25-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by davidI
Soy causes estrogen production.

Whey is high in milk minerals and lactose.

Why are you looking for such specifics?

edit: If you're willing to spend a lot you can get Whey Isolate which is lower in lactose but you'll have to pay out of the ass for it.

Im better off with low sugar as I minimize the amount of sugar going into my body. I hardly take any sugar right now, if any at all. Its how my diet is.

I was looking at Mommath, its a very good deal and huge protein, I think 33g...but it is loaded with milk products.

1badPT
01-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Go to superstore and grab some Dynawhey - its my new favourite. I recommend the Chocolate banana - $25 a bag, each 36g serving contains 30g of protein (mix of WPC and WPI) and only 1 single gram of carbs. Good taste, mixes easily and the price is good (that $25 bag is good for 30 servings).

I've used about 5 different brands so far and this is my favourite.

some no name brand shit (tasted like ass, mixed only with a blender, contained aspartame, awful awful shit)
Ultimate Nutrition (decent)
Prolab (cheap is not good, good is not cheap)
Champion (expensive but lousy - high carbs, contains only WPC, but it does mix easy and taste good and stacks with other supplements well)
Dynawhey - my fav so far.

GucciBoy
01-26-2005, 12:15 AM
cool thanks bud. Ill look into it.

Ya my diet is low LOW sugar and no dairy. My diet is based on nutrition, soy, fruits, veggies (mainly green ones, no starchy ones), chicken, turkey, fish (for omega 3,6,9 fats), and other vitamins and organic supplements like EPO, flaxseed, borage oils, olive oils, etc. It costs me a fortune but its all worth it. ORGANIC all the way.

1badPT
01-26-2005, 12:18 AM
Oh wait forgot the no milk thing let me check if it contains lactose - all whey products are milk based but if they are pure enough they won't contain much lactose. You're only other option is to do egg protein (albumen).

Edit: just checked - most wheys will make a big deal out of the fact that they are safe for people with lactose intolerance - and this doesn't mention it. I would check www.supplementscanada.com for egg albumen protein powder.

GucciBoy
01-26-2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by 1badPT
Oh wait forgot the no milk thing let me check if it contains lactose - all whey products are milk based but if they are pure enough they won't contain much lactose. You're only other option is to do egg protein (albumen).

Ya I was considering egg protein. Soy is pretty much out cause of the hormone increase.

Hmm, I wonder who would carry egg protein.

1badPT
01-26-2005, 12:25 AM
http://www.canada-sports-supplement.com//product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/122

Here you go, it definitely costs more than whey powders.

22g protein a bit below what you're aiming for but I doubt you'll be able to do better with such a niche product.
4 g carbs :thumbsup:

Just out of curiosity - i've made an assumption that you're lactose intolerant - are you? Because if you're not whey powder is definitely the way to go both pricewise and in terms of getting your 30g protein to under 5 grams of carbs.

GucciBoy
01-26-2005, 12:36 AM
Yes Im lactos in-tolerant. Even if I wasnt, I still wouldnt take in much dairy, not overly crazy about it.

That stuff looks alright, I will just have to take in a bit extra daily to make up for the 8g protein loss....but no biggie. I agree, pay more for better stuff. For what I spend on my diet already, this is nothing haha. It should be just as effective as whey right? just more $....

GucciBoy
01-26-2005, 12:40 AM
I wonder if any place locally would carry this...Ill look into it tommorow :) thanks!

Wildcat
01-26-2005, 01:02 AM
my current favorite is the 4everfit fruit blast performance whey protein isolate. its pricy tho, a 6lbs bucket is $95

some features:
-100% pure whey protein isolate
-mixes instantly with water (like INSTANTLY, no lie)
-tastes awesome with lots of different flavors
-no aspertame, surgar or fat
-only 0.8g of carbs
-23g of protein per serving

i even prefer it over nectar, i think it tastes better and it mixes easier, shaking it up in a water bottle works just fine

i also use prolab whey protein, prolab makes a great product. and its cheap, which is good because i go through 5lbs of the stuff in less than a month.

GucciBoy
01-26-2005, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat
my current favorite is the 4everfit fruit blast performance whey protein isolate. its pricy tho, a 6lbs bucket is $95

some features:
-100% pure whey protein isolate
-mixes instantly with water (like INSTANTLY, no lie)
-tastes awesome with lots of different flavors
-no aspertame, surgar or fat
-only 0.8g of carbs
-23g of protein per serving

i even prefer it over nectar, i think it tastes better and it mixes easier, shaking it up in a water bottle works just fine

i also use prolab whey protein, prolab makes a great product. and its cheap, which is good because i go through 5lbs of the stuff in less than a month.

wildcat, whats the sugar content and any milk products or fractose?

Where can youbuy it locally?

Wildcat
01-26-2005, 09:15 AM
none and none, you can buy it at popeyes

GucciBoy
01-26-2005, 10:38 AM
where is popeyez? thanks! i hope they have the egg protein too. how long did your tub last YOU?

Wildcat
01-26-2005, 11:04 AM
its on macleod, i take 2-3 servings a day and i still have lots left from almost a month ago.

1badPT
01-26-2005, 11:22 AM
Whey is a milk product - its essentially the junk that's left over when you make cheese. Supplement companies refine that junk into the various whey and casein products. Going with an Isolate may eliminate the lactose concern, but you're still drinking a milk product :tongue:

I'm guessing whey is cheaper than albumen because albumen is processed from a useable product versus whey which is a refined byproduct.

PS Popeye's is great, I've got nothing but good things to say about them - good prices and the people there are really friendly and they'll do everything to earn your business. :thumbsup:

GucciBoy
01-26-2005, 09:53 PM
thanks 1BadPT. Ok sounds like Ill go the egg route. Popeyes, god thats far lol. Im gonna shop around see if any place closer to me carries it first.

Have any of you heard of the bad things of taking egg protein? is it as effective as whey f im taking the same g/workout./day.

1badPT
01-26-2005, 10:53 PM
Its probably better than whey, whey is the best value but quality wise I'm thinking egg is the best.

GucciBoy
01-29-2005, 03:08 PM
man, no place in city has egg protein. I would like to buy locally if possible cause shipping will be murder. Hmm, any suggestions 1badpt?

Whey creates too much of an insulin spike for me.:(

Chim
01-29-2005, 03:40 PM
While on the topic of supplements, what's everybodys opinion of glutamine? (mainly concerning whether it's worth the money compared to creatine or protein powder)

GucciBoy
01-29-2005, 03:44 PM
what does glutamine do differing from whey?

davidI
01-29-2005, 06:38 PM
Glutamine is a very common supplement found in many bodybuilders' gym bags and in their protein shakes, yet it is also a nonessential amino acid that is overlooked by many in their quest in gaining muscle. Over the years, bodybuilders have begun to realize the advertised benefits of glutamine such as [1] prevents muscle catabolism which is basically the tearing down of muscle, [2] promotes muscle anabolism, which is basically muscle growth, [3] enhances the immune system, and [4] enhances glycogen storage.

What Is Glutamine?

Glutamine is classified as a nonessential amino acid, since it can be readily synthesized by various tissues such as the skeletal muscles, liver, and adipose tissue. Glutamine is the most abundant single amino acid found in the bloodstream, which comprises 61% of the free intracellular amino acid pool [most abundant amino acid in muscle tissue], while Branch Chain Amino Acids [BCAA'S] comprise 8.4% of the pool[11,24]. Glutamine's unique structure, containing two nitrogen side chains, consists of 19% nitrogen - making it the primary transporter of nitrogen into the muscle cells [10,23].

Glutamine Molecule
In the past couple years, Glutamine has gained importance through new studies revealing its unique contribution to protein synthesis [muscle growth], anti-catabolic [prevents muscle tissue] breakdown functions and growth hormone elevating effects. Due to these effects, Glutamine plays an important part in your body by aiding recovery of muscle cells[12].

What Does Glutamine Do?

During exercise or other times of metabolic stress such as a precontest diet, severe injury, illness, etc., the demand for glutamine in your blood matrix (plasma) markedly increases. For instance, various cells of the immune system such as the lymphocytes and macrophages depend on glutamine as a primary fuel source, and thus the demand for glutamine increases when an immunological response is mounted [2]. Macrophages and lymphocytes are the primary virus and bacteria fighters in your bloodstream.

As glutamine travels through the body, the enterocytes of the small intestines are the largest consumers of glutamine accounting for about 40-50% of glutamine consumption. Also, glutamine is required for the synthesis of nucleotides. Thus, a sufficient supply of glutamine is particularly important for rapidly dividing cells such as the enterocytes and the immune cells. Therefore, the synthesis of glutamine may be insufficient to meet the physiological demand during times of severe, metabolic stress when the amount of free glutamine is rapidly depleted [3]. Therefore, it may be beneficial for people, who continuously place themselves in infectious areas or commonly get sick, to supplement with glutamine to aid virus/bacteria fighting cells.

Glutamine supplementation may also promote nitrogen retention [a positive nitrogen balance] and prevent the loss of muscle protein [4,6]. A decreased ratio of testosterone to cortisol is believed to be directly responsible for losses in muscle mass since cortisol promotes the synthesis of glutamine. By maintaining intracellular concentrations of glutamine within the skeletal muscles, the synthesis of glutamine mRNA may be inhibited resulting in the loss of intracellular nitrogen through glutamine may be prevented.

Therefore, it may be beneficial for bodybuilders, who continuously place themselves through strenuous workouts, to supplement with glutamine to aid when glutamine stores are depleted. Furthermore, by enhancing plasma concentrations of glutamine, the demand for free glutamine by other tissues and cells [e.g. the small intestine and immune cells] is attenuated and thus the release of glutamine from muscle tissues is reduced [3].

Why Does Your Body Need Glutamine?

To fully understand why glutamine is beneficial to the body we must all endure a little Biochemistry lesson. The body uses glutamine to shuttle ammonia around in the body, so blood levels of glutamine try to maintain constant. Glutamine is craved by the digestive tract and the immune system as a fuel. Most bodybuilders eat more than enough protein from the supermarket, but they do not get enough glutamine through the digestion of meats and other proteins.

The muscles cells are the giant storehouses of glutamine. Under certain pathological circumstances the body's tissues need more glutamine than the overall amount supplied by diet and natural synthesis such as during a bodybuilder's strenuous workout[5,24].

During catabolic stress, for instance, intracellular glutamine levels can drop more than 50 percent, and plasma concentration can fall by 30 percent. It is under these circumstances that supplemental glutamine becomes necessary[23].

Skeletal muscle contains the greatest intracellular concentration of glutamine, comprising up to 60 percent of total body glutamine stores, and is considered the primary storage depot of glutamine, and thus the primary exporter of glutamine to other tissues [1]. In times of metabolic stress, glutamine is released into circulation, where it is transported to the tissue in need. Intracellular skeletal muscle glutamine concentration is affected by various assaults including injury, sepsis, prolonged stress, and starvation. Besides skeletal muscle, the lungs are the next largest producer of glutamine[9,12].

Glutamine is especially useful postworkout when nutrients are at a low until recovery. In this condition research shows glutamine levels are significantly reduced, taking up to one month to return to baseline[4]. In athletes, glutamine has been used as a marker to indicate overtraining. This fall in glutamine is catabolic to muscle tissue. BCAA's [comprising 37% of total muscle] are debranched from skeletal muscle, and the resulting molecules are used to synthesis glutamine.

In the catabolic state, glutamine is the first amino acid used to correct that deficiency. Glutamine drives protein into the muscle cell where it is synthesized for growth[6,8]. This means that additional Glutamine is necessary during periods of stress [such as intense weight training which induces a catabolic state which has been shown to uniformly decrease Glutamine levels by 50%, taking several hours to return to normal levels[1]. Additionally, L-Glutamine also decreases protein degradation [BCAA catabolism], resulting in bigger, stronger muscle cells[23].

Research Findings

In a recent study of glutamine's role enhancing the immune system, glutamine demonstrated that increased levels of glutamine leads to greater amounts of virus and infection fighting cells, T and B Lymphocytes[7]. Cells of the immune system including the macrophages and lymphocytes depend on glutamine as a primary fuel source. In addition, it has been hypothesized that a high rate of glutamine consumption by these rapidly proliferating cells is required for sufficient nucleotide synthesis [14].

Research indicates that low levels of glutamine within the body may result in the increased susceptibility to infections and illness due to a suppressed immune system [2]. The ability to reproduce and the activity of immune cells in vitro have reportedly been suppressed in trials lacking glutamine [15]. Tests also demonstrated that the increased rate of infection and illness [particularly infections of the upper respiratory tract] has been reported among athletes participating in intense, long duration sports activities [e.g. marathon racing] [16].

It has been suggested that a decline in plasma glutamine concentrations may be one of the factors responsible for this increased rate of illness. Specifically, the activity of natural killer cells, a reduced number and proliferate ability of lymphocytes, and a reduced ratio of T-helper to T-suppressor cells may be the result of prolonged, exhaustive exercise [16].

In another study of glutamine's role on glucose and glycogen formation, the importance of glutamine was also emphasized. The human carbon based skeleton of glutamine can serve as a gluconeogenic precursor and may regulate gluconeogenesis, which is basically the production of glycogen, independently of the insulin/glucagon ratio[18]. Because glutamine may serve as a precursor to glucose independently of glucacon regulation, glutamine supplementation may also enhance glycogenolysis and thus increase muscle glycogen stores even when insulin levels are low [19,20].

So basically glutamine helps regulate glycogen in your body when levels are low and may even increase them, which would result in better performance and growth. In a study by Varnier et al. Am J Physiol in 1995, groups of six subjects each cycled for 90 minutes at a moderate to very high-intensity [70 to 140% VO2 max]. The exercise protocol was designed to deplete glycogen stores.

Following exercise, the subjects were infused with 30 mg/kg body weight of either glutamine, alanine+glycine, or a saline solution. Two hours following exercise, muscle glycogen concentration increased significantly more in the subjects receiving glutamine than the subjects in the other groups [19].

Benefits & Possible Disadvantages Of Glutamine Supplementation

In the past several years, research has indicated that glutamine supplementation is safe for humans [21]. However, there is little data regarding long-term usage (more than a few weeks) of glutamine supplements. Furthermore, more research needs to be conducted to investigate the safety of glutamine supplementation at doses that are posited to promote nitrogen retention in the muscles.

Generally speaking, the consumption of any one, single amino acid in large doses may inhibit the absorption of other amino acids since amino acids (basic and neutral amino acids) tend to compete for transport across the intestinal epithelium. However, a study performed by Dechelotte et al. reported that glutamine is absorbed effectively in the small intestine [22].

Other research has indicted that the consumption of large doses of free amino acids may result in intestinal discomfort (e.g. abdominal pains and diarrhea) due to the electrolyte-like properties of the amino-acids.

Cost & Use Of Glutamine

Glutamine and L-Glutamine can be purchased as Glutamine or L-Glutamine, or in glutamine containing products. Glutamine containing products are protein shakes, protein powders, and protein drinks. Glutamine can be added to protein powder and protein shakes. Bodybuilders find taking glutamine to be more convenient when taken at the same time as their protein intake. L-Glutamine and glutamine often are tasteless.

The cost for a supply of glutamine (L-glutamine) ranges from about $14 to $54 and typically is sold in the form of gel capsules and powders.

Get all your glutamine products
SORTED BY LOWEST PRICE!

However, glutamine is relatively unstable in solution, and thus glutamine powders must be consumed shortly after being mixed into solution. Some manufacturers of the supplement recommend consuming glutamine in divided dosages throughout the day. It has also been suggested that glutamine be consumed shortly before sleep (a 6-8 hours of non-eating) and after waking. It is recommended to take at least 5 grams 30 minutes before and after you train and another 5 grams before bed.

Are There Any Side Effects?

It is completely safe. There are no known side effects[7].

Conclusion

Hopefully this article are opened you to the topic of glutamine supplementation. Supplementing with glutamine can result in measurable gains in strength, muscularity, and immune function. Taking glutamine before and during a work out will increase performance and delay fatigue. This amino acid is needed for the maintenance of muscle tissue during physical stress and intense exercise and plays a crucial role in the fight against sickness. From the perspective of athletes, glutamine functions as an anabolic agent, which allow the body to burn fat and not muscle. Therefore, glutamine is crucial in your quest for muscle growth.

source: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glutamine2.htm

Personally, I've heard it is a waste of money. Protein is probably the best investment out there if you can't get enough in your natural diet. I'm poor and don't really supplement though so I haven't tried it.

Mckenzie
01-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Has anyone heard of Muscle Milk?

There is a guy at the YMCA in Shawnessy that is bringing this stuff into Canada and I was wondering if it is any good....

1badPT
01-30-2005, 01:27 PM
Its already here:
http://www.supplementscanada.com/popeyes/product268.html

Its a custom fat/protein mix that supposedly promotes growth better than protein alone. The idea behind the product is to replicate the benefits of human milk.

I haven't used it so I couldn't offer an opinion, but it is fairly expensive when comparing it to whey (whey is a simple product where this is more of an engineered product).

GucciBoy
01-30-2005, 02:51 PM
no place in city has egg protein. I would like to buy locally if possible cause shipping will be murder. Hmm, any suggestions

1badPT
01-30-2005, 03:09 PM
http://www.canada-sports-supplement.com//product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/122

$8 shipping charge :dunno: thats a decent price.

Superstore I *think* had an Egg protein supplement but I can't be certain.

GucciBoy
01-30-2005, 03:34 PM

$8 shipping charge :dunno: thats a decent price.

Superstore I *think* had an Egg protein supplement but I can't be certain.

Oops thanks, thought it would be $30 ship haha. Still cant believe no one locally sells EGG but thats ok. :)

GucciBoy
01-30-2005, 04:29 PM
i read that thread by DavidI on here, is there such thing as buying just plain raw protein in bags? wherE? like im talking nothing added, just protien.

GucciBoy
01-30-2005, 04:35 PM
would anyone out there use their paypal account to place my order, and i will pay you cash in hand or EMT, direct deposit whatever you want. Just that I dont feel like sending a money order, gonna take ages and i dont use c.c.

Wildcat
01-30-2005, 04:58 PM
today i stopped by GNC in shawnessy to pick up some prolab prowhey and the prices there are straight up ridiculous. it was $55 for a 6lbs bin, which is $10 more expensive than popeyes, and it wouldve been $20 more if you didnt have a gold card. needless to say i didnt buy it, id rather drive all the way down macleod and save myself some coin. robbery i say :thumbsdow

GucciBoy
01-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
today i stopped by GNC in shawnessy to pick up some prolab prowhey and the prices there are straight up ridiculous. it was $55 for a 6lbs bin, which is $10 more expensive than popeyes, and it wouldve been $20 more if you didnt have a gold card. needless to say i didnt buy it, id rather drive all the way down macleod and save myself some coin. robbery i say :thumbsdow

I never buy anything from GNC, they are highway robbers!!! Plus alot of the goons working there will sell you stuff you dont need!

davidI
01-30-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by GucciBoy
i read that thread by DavidI on here, is there such thing as buying just plain raw protein in bags? wherE? like im talking nothing added, just protien.

They have the 20KG bags at Vitalus out of B.C.

http://www.vitalus.com/

I think gggunit ordered a bag of WPC and it came in for $160 shipped.

Mckenzie
01-31-2005, 09:12 AM
Its already here:
http://www.supplementscanada.com/popeyes/product268.html

Its a custom fat/protein mix that supposedly promotes growth better than protein alone. The idea behind the product is to replicate the benefits of human milk.

I haven't used it so I couldn't offer an opinion, but it is fairly expensive when comparing it to whey (whey is a simple product where this is more of an engineered product).

Alright thanks....maybe I'll give it a shot and post my review.

GucciBoy
02-02-2005, 06:17 PM
fcuk this canada sports site, they just dont answer their phone. Its now the 3rd way trying to call them.