PDA

View Full Version : Buying a vehicle from another province

googe
01-26-2005, 08:21 AM
Im looking for a particular make/model of vehicle, and I found a used one I am interested in...but its located in ontario. Is there a safe way to make a purchase like this without seeing the vehicle? To complicate things further, its through a used car dealer, not a major manufacturer's dealership. Are there any options short of driving out there?

2 things I can think of is have a local dealership buy it off them and bring it out here, or have someone reputable out there do a thorough inspection. I dont even know if the first one is really possible, and the second one might be hard if you dont know anyone.

Anyone have any ideas?

1badPT
01-26-2005, 11:48 AM
Well who do you know in Ontario that's near where the car is located? I'd start there personally. It may be worth it for you to buy them a case of beer or whatever in exchange for them checking out the car. If they give it the :thumbsup: I personally would still fly over to give it a final look before handing over the money. Then you can drive it back :)

heavyD
01-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Do not buy a used car from Ontario unless you have it inspected first for undercarriage rust. Due to the high humidity, cars rust twice as fast down there as they to here. I knew a Polish guy that was bringing in cars from Ontario and three year old cars had undercarriage rust that we dont see around here for at least 8 - 10 years.

1badPT
01-26-2005, 12:08 PM
And they use salt on the roads there(lots of it), which makes the problem even worse.

96Mx6
01-26-2005, 05:09 PM
You need a safety inspection before you can register the car in Alberta. Thats it.

CryoCarnage
01-26-2005, 06:39 PM
I live in Mississauga, if you want i can check it out for you. or w/e. PM me if u want.

googe
01-26-2005, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by 96Mx6
You need a safety inspection before you can register the car in Alberta. Thats it.

:rofl: dude did you even read the thread?

replayboy
01-26-2005, 07:56 PM
If you buy a vehicle from outside of your home province you will need an OUT OF PROVINCE inspection which is way more hardcore than just a normal safety inspection. Chances are, you are better off buying a vehicle locally.

googe
01-26-2005, 08:28 PM
k, dunno where you guys are getting that from, but its got nothing to do with my question :)

taking steps to register it here isnt an issue.

if i could buy it locally i wouldnt be looking into this :)

i probably wont go this route anyway now because of the point heavyD made. even though its only a year old, if i ever want to resell it people hear "east" and run.

heavyD
01-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by googe
k, dunno where you guys are getting that from, but its got nothing to do with my question :)

i probably wont go this route anyway now because of the point heavyD made. even though its only a year old, if i ever want to resell it people hear "east" and run.

A one year old car may not be too bad. I wouldn't want to scare you off if the car is an excellent deal. Most of the rust problems are on vehicles 3 years and older. I certainly would still have someone thoroughly inspect first but you will always be able to prove later when you decide to sell that the car was registered in Alberta after only one year in the east which isn't too bad.

googe
01-27-2005, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

A one year old car may not be too bad. I wouldn't want to scare you off if the car is an excellent deal. Most of the rust problems are on vehicles 3 years and older. I certainly would still have someone thoroughly inspect first but you will always be able to prove later when you decide to sell that the car was registered in Alberta after only one year in the east which isn't too bad.

Yeah its not so much that the car is a great deal, just the fact that I cant find the combination I want anywhere in western canada. Settle for something not exactly what Im looking for, or go through with that...tough choice, something to think about.

Thanks for the input though.

1badPT
01-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by googe

:rofl: :rofl:

go ahead and let off some steam in this thread... :D
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70188

Schnitz
01-27-2005, 12:37 PM
I just bought an '01 Mustang Gt from Ft. McMurray Alberta, sight unseen. I found the car on a Mustang site. First thing I did was find the owners profile info and read almost all his posts (+/- 500) to get a good idea of what kind of guy he was. Then I contacted him and asked for tonnes of pics of everything. I wish I could have flown out but it was too costly. After we agreed on pricing and I was comfortable that the car was what he said it was, I contacted a lawyer and asked him to draft up an escrow agreement. This is an agreement that states that once I give the lawyer a cheque for the amount of the car made to the lawyer's name 'IN TRUST' and the car is shipped at my expense here to my location I have the chance to give the car a once over. Once the car got here I had the option to check it out and make sure it was everything it was supposed to be. If it wasn't the previous owner would have had to ship it back at his expense. Seeing as the shipping cost $1000 I figured that was deterent enought to keep him from lying to me. The previous owner shipped the keys and registration to the lawyer's office. I saw the car and found it was what he said it was. I went to the lawyers office and signed something releasing the keys and registration to me and the funds to the owner. The lawyer cost around $300. I found this to be the best way to complete the transaction. Let me know if you have any questions.

FYI if a car has been rustproofed every year and waxed every 6 months as every car should be every year , rust isn't a concern even with salted roads etc..

googe
01-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Schnitz
I just bought an '01 Mustang Gt from Ft. McMurray Alberta, sight unseen. I found the car on a Mustang site. First thing I did was find the owners profile info and read almost all his posts (+/- 500) to get a good idea of what kind of guy he was. Then I contacted him and asked for tonnes of pics of everything. I wish I could have flown out but it was too costly. After we agreed on pricing and I was comfortable that the car was what he said it was, I contacted a lawyer and asked him to draft up an escrow agreement. This is an agreement that states that once I give the lawyer a cheque for the amount of the car made to the lawyer's name 'IN TRUST' and the car is shipped at my expense here to my location I have the chance to give the car a once over. Once the car got here I had the option to check it out and make sure it was everything it was supposed to be. If it wasn't the previous owner would have had to ship it back at his expense. Seeing as the shipping cost $1000 I figured that was deterent enought to keep him from lying to me. The previous owner shipped the keys and registration to the lawyer's office. I saw the car and found it was what he said it was. I went to the lawyers office and signed something releasing the keys and registration to me and the funds to the owner. The lawyer cost around $300. I found this to be the best way to complete the transaction. Let me know if you have any questions.

FYI if a car has been rustproofed every year and waxed every 6 months as every car should be every year , rust isn't a concern even with salted roads etc..

Hm, thats a good idea...thanks for the post. I may consider that...