PDA

View Full Version : battery going bad?

Coopercentral
01-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Hi:

Lately, on average, the temperature is around 20's which is the high. Usually, it's in the teens if we're lucky, but in the single digits lately. My truck is just sitting in my driveway. Usually once a day, I put my key in the car, and just turn it to the accessory option, which enables everything, and shows the gauges. I keep looking at the battery gauge, and I think it has enough volts to start the car, but it will start harder than usual. Does that mean the battery is going bad, or that it's just due to the weather. A couple days ago, I charged the battery enough so the first time I turned it on, it turned RIGHT on. Then I left it running for like 40 minutes. I have to shovel my driveway now, and will probably leave it on for 20 minutes so it recharges. DOes anyone know if it's just a bad battery, or just really cold out? Thanks for your help!!

gen2teggy
01-26-2005, 10:37 AM
alternator? or just change ur batt if its bad

QuasarCav
01-26-2005, 11:09 AM
The cold severly limits a battery's CCA (cold cranking amps) When it gets cold you might have about 50% of the power that you do at regular temps.

If it happens at better temps than you have a problem, if not than it was just the cold.

'93 SR-V
01-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Well when it gets cold, the power output of the battery drops, but the temps you are looking at shouldn't be that big of a deal. If you're having trouble in those temps, chances are the battery is shot.

My car get's hard to start at around -30C, (like -22F), so if you're having problems at +8F, then I'd look for a new battery.

Coopercentral
01-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Thanks for everyone's help!!! Tomorrow, I'm going to get my blazer insured so I can start driving it. Once I get the plates on and stuff, I'm going to immediately take it out and fill the tank with gas. Then I'm just going to take a good 20-30 minute drive to charge the battery / get to know how everything works, cus I just got it. Anyways, if it ends up being a bad battery, would you guys recommend the DieHard batteries from Sears? I was looking at those yesterday and had good prices and good quality on them. Do you guys recommend those? If not, what kind of batteries do you recommend for a 2-door blazer? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Ken Cooper

IggyB
01-27-2005, 07:03 PM
I've always had good luck with the AC-Delco batteries on my old S-10 Blazer. Measure the space you have on the battery tray and get the battery to fit.

You can also see what they have at Pep Boys or Sam's club.

14620:D

'93 SR-V
01-27-2005, 07:17 PM
I'm using an interstate, and can't complain. When it comes time to replace it I'll probably go with optima, but they are kind of over priced. I don't know about die hard and other "house brands", but I guess anything will be better then what you have at this point right?

Coopercentral
01-29-2005, 08:33 AM
That's true. Thanks for everyones help!! Well, yesterday I got it insured. Unfortunately, it costed me about $491.50 alltogether. I figured I would've had like 30 dollars left to fill my tank, but I had 8 dollars left, and when I filled the tank, it got almost to halfway. It's VERY expensive to just put it on the road. Anyways, since I still have my permit, my dad drove my blazer to pick me up from work, then I drove it home, turned it off, waited like a minute, and it turned on immediately, so I KNOW it's not the alternator. If I go out later today, if it starts right up, then it was just the cold. If not, then I need a new battery. I will have to check at Sam's Club or BJ's, to see what they have. Thanks for your kind suggestions!!!! :)

Ken Cooper