PDA

View Full Version : In Search of Better Internet

JoeBoomz
01-26-2005, 12:37 PM
I run a free, popular (and unique) game server using a Shaw business internet package but lately I'm finding my bandwidth requirements are slightly higher than I'm able to get without paying an arm and a leg for a better connection. Currently, the best upload speed I can get from a home-based ISP is 1Mbit. Lag issues have just become too much of a problem lately, however.

What I had in mind was a medium-large size business with a Fibre or T3 type connection. My server itself doesn't use very much bandwidth (<5mbps) and I would love the opportunity to run it somewhere else and just plug it into a faster connection. If the connection were fast enough I could simply host my entire web domain from my server and never have to use an external (Shaw-provided) webserver again.

I've exhausted all the ISP options I have here, and don't have several thousand dollars to spend on getting a high-speed fibre pipe installed and pay the monthly fees. It's not going to get any better than this while I run this thing out of my house.

I'd be willing to place a "bandwidth provided by XXX" on our news page so EVERYONE that uses the server would see it. My users span worldwide, and an internationally-based business may actually benefit from it a bit, you never know. At worst, I would also be willing to pay a monthly fee for the bandwidth usage (I'll save a bit because I won't have to pay Shaw for the business package any longer).

Anyone? I know it's a long shot but I just figured I'd ask, just in case someone here was in a position where they could help me out. Please PM me.

Much appreciated.

pixil9
01-26-2005, 12:49 PM
just look up dedicated servers and pick one in western US or something. probably $100 a month USD

sputnik
01-26-2005, 01:02 PM
What kind of business do you run?

If you are a viable business and using huge amounts of bandwidth, why cant you afford to pay for proper hosting? Perhaps you should increase the amount of money you charge for your service.

JoeBoomz
01-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by JoeBoomz
I run a free, popular (and unique) game server

My users don't pay a cent, I only accept donations. All of this is out of my own pocket, it's more of a hobby than anything.

I write the server software myself, so using a solution where a server is provided for me just isn't viable.

bol
01-26-2005, 01:26 PM
sounds like your best option would be to co-locate a server. I've only used GT for that and i wouldn't call them 'cheap'

sputnik
01-26-2005, 01:41 PM
You will need to co-locate.

At Telus a half-rack with a 100mbps pipe was about $600/month + bandwidth (about $7/GB).

You might want to re-think your business plan.

EDIT: Took a look at your website and it shows that you are running a Freelancer server. I thought you said you wrote the game yourself.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

http://www.ioncross.com/freelancer/index.htm

JoeBoomz
01-26-2005, 01:51 PM
I write the server software myself

Sputnik, you need to read more thoroughly. I said SERVER software, not the game software.

Khyron
01-26-2005, 02:45 PM
If you're in the NE, terrago is a good option. Need line of sight to the towers, but it's pretty good price for what you get. I used to have nucleus.com business DSL for my counterstrike servers, but the bandwidth was getting outrageous (100+G/month). If you are burning 30ish, you can get static ips and pretty good game server speed for 100 a month.

Khyron

pixil9
01-26-2005, 03:05 PM

Sputnik, you need to read more thoroughly. I said SERVER software, not the game software.

Load up your OS.. config it and ship the rack mountable machine to any location in the north america that has the best pricing. As long as you can login with ssh or vnc etc..

GoChris
01-26-2005, 03:53 PM
ya 5mbps isnt a small amount actually, that adds up to a lot sustained. find a co-location company in like seattle or something and pay <$100 a month probably or around there. you would easily get 1000+GB a month of available transfer usually on 10Mbps+ burstable

JoeBoomz
01-26-2005, 06:27 PM
<sigh> mods please delete this thread. I don't need any more helpful input from the public.